Love Hurts

Heart Attack

Beep... Beep... Beep... Beep...

The sound of the cardiac monitor awoke Chanyeol. His eyes fluttered open to white walls and light blue curtains. The strong smell of disinfectant made Chanyeol cring slightly.

"The anesthesia should be wearing off. He should be waking up soon." a reassuring voice spoke.

"Thank you so much, Doctor Choi."

Familiar voices could be heard just outside of the door. The voices sound like they belonged to a man and a woman.

He removed the oxygen mask from his face. He turned his head to scan the room. A large vase full of wilting flowers stood on the side table by the hospital bed. Chanyeol's eyes narrowed, "oh god, don't tell me I'm in the hospital aga-"

"Chanyeol!" a large plump woman, his mother, scuddled towards him. A tall man, just a little older than Chanyeol, stood at the door, holding a pen and clipboard as he took a step into the room.

"Oh, it's you again." Chanyeol said bitterly as he stared at Dr.Choi. Seeing Dr.Choi meant that he was put into the horrid hospital for his heart. Again.

"I see you're doing well," Dr.Choi smiled softly and scribbled on the clipboard. "Still charming as ever too."

"Flattery will get you no where," Chanyeol crossed his arms over his chest. "Especially not in my pants either."

"Chanyeol!" his mother scolded in shock.

Meanwhile, as Dr.Choi bursted into a fit of laughter, Chanyeol uncrossed his arms and stared at the open door that lead to a hall of freedom and escape. Chanyeol was about to look away when he saw a figure run in the hallway, his or her face filled with fear and tears. Brown, gold, chestnut hair drenched in either rain or sweat, hands clenched and clothes in a disarray.

Ba-Dump!

"Ugh!" Chanyeol let out a grunt and gasped for air. His heart pounded hard. Dr.Choi and Chanyeol's mother immediately rushed to Chanyeol's bed side.

"Are you okay? Does it hurt?"

Chanyeol clenched the hospital gown and cringed but managed to pull off a smile. "I-I'm fine, honest. My heart just worked a little too hard is all." Chanyeol assured his mother.

"I wouldn't exactly say it's your heart that's working hard." Dr.Choi said, not meeting his eyes with Chanyeol's.

"What?" Chanyeol's eyes narrowed and his hatred for his doctor grew.

"You've always had a weak heart and sometimes you pushed it just before the limit, luckily we were able to save it in the times before. But that car accident..." Dr.Choi's voice stopped.

"But what?" Chanyeol demanded to know.

"But that accident seemed to push it over the edge." Dr.Choi stared straight into Chanyeol's eyes, unwavering, waiting for Chanyeol's reactiion.

"Are you saying I have no heart?"

"No, that would be impossible, since you're very well alive and you said it was just working a minute ago. Don't be an idiot." Dr.Choi rolled his eyes and tapped his clipboard on Chanyeol's head. "I'm saying that you don't have your heart anymore. You were placed under surgery last night. You don't know how lucky you are, especially compared to the poor girl that was in the accident too..." Dr.Choi whispered the last part under his breath, but it still seemed to catch Chanyeol's ears.

A girl? Oh my god, no. The pretty girl who was crossing the street! Chanyeol's eyes widened in terror and shock.

"Well, it seems like your body is still adjusting to your new heart so the best thing to do for now is rest and heal those scars. Don't worry, I'm sure your new heart will adapt real soon." Dr.Choi patted Chanyeol's shoulder to calm him.

"Huh? Oh, okay. Thanks doc." Chanyeol said absent minded. He still couldn't believe that the girl had died and not him.

Soon, Dr.Choi and his mother left the room. Chanyeol laid in the bed and stared at the ceiling. "A new heart, huh?" Chanyeol cringed, "It doesn't feel like mine, though." he clenched and unclenched his hand. "Ba-dump ba-dump all day long..."

 

 

"Mr.Byun, this way please." a nurse lead Baekhyun into a private room. "Please relax, Mr.Byun."

"Mm..." Baekhyun shivered and bit his lip, fighting back the tears that threatened to fall again.

The room was dark but there was a single light. There was a bed with a cover on top, the nurse gently and silently pulled back the covers and revealed a young lady, lying still, no breath, no movement.

Oh god. Oh god no. No no no. I beg you please, let this be a horrible nightmare. Please.

"Mr.Byun?"

"Yes... This is her. This is my fiance." Baekhyun shuddered and his lip quivered. "I... I'm sorry, I have to go now..." he trudged slowly out of the room and down the hall, until he found the lounge and collapsed into a chair. He balanced his elbows on his knees, and cupped his face into his hands, The tears rolled down his cheeks and his cries were muffled.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry..." his choked sobs escaped into the air.

 

 

Chanyeol walked slowly down the hospital halls. He couldn't rest all day in bed, tearing himself over the girl who he barely even knew. "It's so boring here. There's nothing to do..." Chanyeol's voice trailed off as he tilted his head to one side and stared at the figure sitting in the hospital lounge. Golden brown locks dressed the figure's head,  his eyes were dark brown and he had pink rosy lips.

A Boy? He's so pretty... Chanyeol gazed at the said boy with curious eyes. His heart raced and the pounding grew louder. Is he... Crying? Chanyeol blinked as he watched silent tears fall from the boy's eyes and into his lap. The boy buried his face in his hands and muttered something softly. 

"Jieun... Jieun..." the boy sniffled as he continued to supress his stiffled cries.

Ugh, my heart again... Chanyeol cringed. A pang of guilt rushed over him. He pounded his fist against the wall as he gasped for air and trudged back to his room. Why does it keep hurting?