Missing Half

Distant Embrace

 

.:First Story:.

Missing Half

 

The escaped sunlight from the window curtain softly illuminate the darken room. A boy around 12 lay in a bed, slowly waking up. Closed eyelids slowly opened to show big brownish black eyes. The boy sat up followed by yawning then stretching, out of the corner of his eyes he saw what looked like a half of a handmade butterfly. He smiled faintly as he remembers the day he got it from his friend...? He reaches up to it and gently is metallic part of it. Not even a scratch can be found.

'A promise is a promise' the boy thought.

//flashback//

"Hey! Wookie! Look what I have for you~!" A black haired boy said to the smaller boy besides him. He was reaching something in his pocket.

"Something for me~?" Ryeowook asked.

"Yup! Take it as a sorry as well cause I didn't tell it to you sooner!" the black hair boy took the smaller one's hand and place something in his hand then closed it quickly so that Ryeowook can't see it until the smaller one himself unclench his hand. The black haired boy grins sheepishly. "Go on~"

Ryeowook look at his best friend for a while then opened the hand wherein his best friend put the said surprise for him. When the child opened his hand, what he saw was a half of a butterfly. It was beautiful! It was a half of a butterfly shaped metal, most probably paid to be in that way. It was adored of both white and transparent glass or gem which is being supported by metals with a beautiful curves and designs. Ryeowook is flabbergasted! All in all, the item looks very expensive!

"Kyu! This looks really expensive! I can't take this!" Ryeowook told Kyuhyun. Holding the beautiful piece back to Kyuhyun. He just can't take this even if Kyuhyun's family is wealthy!

"No way! It's yours already! No way I'm taking that back! Besides, I may have asked for a customized butterfly shape, I made everything else! I worked on that for WEEKS! For both yours and mine!" Kyuhyun scolded.

"Wait... You mean you have yours too?" Ryeowook look at Kyuhyun expectantly. Kyuhyun in return grinned.

"Yup! That's why yours a half. So that I have the other half! Wanna see mine?" Ryeowook nodded. He want to see it. Kyuhyun put his hand of the other pocket and took out a similar piece of what Ryeowook have. The only difference is that Kyuhyun's part is the butterfly's right side and is adored by pure black and transparent black glass or gems.

Kyuhyun took Ryeowook's hand which was holding his half then place his next to it. Completing a beautiful butterfly emblem of black and white.


"I think what suits you~ your pure and the nicest person I know~ while I may be mischievous but still pure~" Kyuhyun said. "Every gem in it symbolizes it. Those transparent ones represent pure while the other shows how nice you are in contrast how mischievous I am~!"

Ryeowook looked at the full butterfly's picture, eyes somehow sparkle. "You sure I can have this?" Ryeowook look up to Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun hug Ryeowook "Of course you dummy~ I made it for you after all~!" Ryeowook smiled then returned the hug back while muttering a soft 'thank you'

Kyuhyun broke the hug and looked straightly at Ryeowook's eyes "Promise me you'll protect it, ok?"

Ryeowook nodded. "I promise!"


\\flashback end\\

Ryeowook hug his half close to his heart. He misses the owner of the butterfly's other half so much. The day Kyuhyun gave the gift. It was the day in which he will go to America due to his family's business. And till now he haven't yet come back.

"It’s been so long since that day... How many exactly?" Ryeowook sighed and looked back to his half. "He never did reply to my letters... I wonder have he forgotten about me?"

Ryeowook stand up to his bed. He shuddered as his feet came in contact to the cold ground. He went to the bathroom to brush his teeth and at least take a short shower. After all today he will meet with Yesung, a boy who he meet weeks after Kyuhyun leave, in the park and now a person he can talk to with his problems.

After Ryeowook taken a shower, he choose a black with white collar shirt to pair up to a long white sleeve jacket, since it's near winter, then a plain black-ish jeans. Before he left his room he took his half piece, he never leave them and always in his pocket. He went down the stairs and saw his mother in the dining room, head in her arms , sleeping.

"Mom! I'm going out, k? I'm going to met up with Yesung today again in the park so you know where to find me!" Ryeowook said to his mother.

His mother shifted but didn't comply or rant. Ryeowook sigh then twisted the doorknob open. He and his mother were never in good term nor close to tell. So he didn't bother to wake her up.

He walked down the streets crossing here and there, doing down the stairs and going up. The normal morning routine he got once Yesung and him become friends. Yesung refuses to met in anyplace other than the park. Ryeowook respectfully understand him.

Ryeowook looked to his left, a beautiful flat land sadly it just became a graveyard. Not that he was saying it should not be a graveyard but feels that the place might be better for a different use.

While Ryeowook is in his little world of wonder, he didn't notice a black car moving in his direction. Ryeowook heard a engine's sound to snap out of his stance and saw the black car meters away him. Frozen in his place, Ryeowook heart skipped a beat as the car stopped a few inches in front of him.

A teenage male around 17 to 18 step out of the car. Ryeowook, now in the ground due to shock, glance to the older boy expecting him rushing towards him and will apologize however surprisingly the older boy just turn his back into him. Anger suddenly twisted in his stomach as the older boy walk around the black car walking towards the front gate of the cemetery.

"H-hey! Aren't you going to apologize?!" Ryeowook said ,still shaken, to the older male who halted and looked down the ground then continued to walk inside the cemetery.

Determined to get the apology he deserve. Ryeowook slowly stand up and catch up to the teen. Getting inside the cemetery is easy. The guard does not ask him for question onto whom or what he is after. Finding the older male should be another story. The land is actually really big. Small trees to medium size tree can be found here and there but fortunately not so much of a challenge on finding the teen. After all, he is the only one visiting. Ryeowook found the older male in the later part of the cemetery. From what the part looks like, who ever buried in there surely be rich. After all it seems that the place is somehow bigger than ordinary and what may be the most beautiful part of the land. Ryeowook found the teen in front of a grave, plants and flower blossom near the grave and surely was arranged to have a pattern. Not too far from the grave is a tree. Big enough to give shade to who will visit the person buried in there. Now Ryeowook walk closer to the see the tombstone. The tombstone seems to be made by light green colored lime stones. Looking closely to the design... Ryeowook gasped!

Above the name of the person buried... Shows a butterfly shape hole (?) and what present in the right part of it was Kyuhyun's half of the butterfly. Eyes widened, breathe was stocked in his throat.

'wh-what's happening here?!' Ryeowook thought.

"I'm sorry..." the teen standing in front of the grave mumbled so low it's surprising that Ryeowook even catch what he have said.

"Who are you?" Ryeowook said. His speech leaves all what politeness he usually have.

"I'm sorry wookie..." the teen mumbled again.”It should have not been you..."

"What are you talking about?" Ryeowook said.

"I'm sorry..."

Ryeowook lost his patience. "WHO ARE YOU? WHAT DO YOU MEAN?! Please... Tell me..."

Tear flow down Ryeowook's eyes. "I'm sorry..." he heard the teen said again.

"It shouldn't have been you... Why did you save me that time?" Ryeowook looked at the older male in confusion. Tears halting. He never have seen the older male but what did he meant by saving him.

"Wookie... I'm sorry..." the teen said again. Ryeowook now flinch, wookie is a nickname that Kyuhyun gave to him. Just like how he gave him his nickname 'Kyu'.

"Wookie, I miss you..." the teen was now sobbing slightly.”I miss how you call me 'Kyu'. I miss how you pout and how you get angry at me. I miss you..."

Ryeowook stood frozen. 'What is he saying...? 'Kyu'?"  Then realization struck him.

"Did you understand now, Ryeowook?" a voice behind him said. Ryeowook slowly looked behind him, finding Yesung. He looked away and stares at the ground. Hands curling into fist.

"No... I don't understand... How?" Ryeowook said. "I don't understand that I'm the person buried in there..." Ryeowook looked back to the tombstone and truthfully enough to have seen not Kyuhyun's name but his instead.

"Ryeowook... Do you really not remember?" Yesung said as he put his hand in Ryeowook's left shoulder.

"I don't" Ryeowook said. Suddenly, Yesung turn Ryeowook to look at him then slowly put his forehead into Ryeowook's.

Ryeowook tried to move out since it was too close. "w-what are you doing?"

"You said you don't remember right? I'll make ya remember..." Yesung said.

"Huh?" Ryeowook suddenly felt a headache...

\\flashback\\

"Promise me you'll protect it, ok?" Kyuhyun said.

Ryeowook nodded. "I promise!"

Suddenly, a phone's muffled beeping rang. Kyuhyun's phone was ringing. He went to get it in his left pocket. Ryeowook laughed as Kyuhyun panicked since he realized that he should be in their house right now and about to go to the airport. Kyuhyun frowned.

"Come on! It's not a laughing matter!" Kyuhyun said. Started jogging towards the direction of his house "I'm going to hear it from mom if I didn't get to our house FAST!"

"Ok Kyu~!" Ryeowook said. Started following Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun suddenly grinned. "Hey wookie~ wanna play a game?"

Ryeowook shrugged. "Depends... What kind of game?"

"Race you to our house~!" Kyuhyun grinned, "Game?"

Without waiting for an answer. Kyuhyun started running. Ryeowook laughed and then followed Kyuhyun. Their game of ‘race-you-to-it’ later on becomes a game of tag. Kyuhyun moving out of reach just as Ryeowook is about to grab him. Their worry of being late or scolded was wiped out of their minds and just started to play around, enjoying their last moments together before Kyuhyun went to the airport. The moment looks perfect! The sunset light gives the surrounding the place in a gradient-like-effect while laughter can be heard. Kyuhyun laughed again as he dodge the smaller boy's grasp.

"Come on~ wookie! You're getting slower!" Kyuhyun grinned. Ryeowook pouted.

"That’s not fair! You’re really taller and faster than me!" Ryeowook panted. Stopping shortly then started to ran after his best friend.

Kyuhyun stop for a moment before crossing an intersection to look at his best friend then started running again. Ryeowook, who's still panting, noticed a speeding car towards Kyuhyun who doesn't notice the car. Eyes widening, Ryeowook saw that the car wasn't slowing down or giving signals of warning.

"Kyu! Look out!" Ryeowook shouted.

Kyuhyun looked to his left. Now seeing the speeding car towards him, he found his body frozen. Unable to move due to the terror. Ryeowook saw this and started running towards his best friend. Adrenaline pumping into his tired body as he pushes himself to the limit. And when he did reach Kyuhyun, he pushed him out of the harm's way however the car struck him instead. The car went out of control and bumped into the stoplight in the right side of the road. Kyuhyun's unfocused eyes stare on the blooded road and when he snaps out of his trance. He's eyes followed the trail of blood that leads to the crashed car in the other side of the road. In the end shows a small arm sticking outside, beneath the car.

'No...' Kyuhyun quickly stand and went to it.

'No!' he grasps the hand. It has the same warmth and the same soft feeling whenever he holds Ryeowook's hand.

Now the bystanders within the captivity began to come closer. Curious about what made the loud noise.

"NO!" Kyuhyun shouted. "NO! NO NO NO!"

Kyuhyun hold the hand more tightly. He flinched as more blood flow and reached his feet. "S-someone! Please! HELP ME!"

More people come into the area. Some now calling for police and ambulance. Some just stare sadly to the small boy crying and asking for help, not leaving or releasing his hold to the boy trapped or most likely dead beneath the car...

Minutes later, the police and the ambulance still haven't arrived yet but Kyuhyun refuses to leave his best friend's side. Shaking the smaller boy as if he boy would wake up. Tears kept on flowing his eyes. After all those time, Ryeowook's body heat began to diminish. Kyuhyun hold the hand tighter then began blowing heat into it, rubbing his hand together then hold the hand back again, doing everything to keep it warm. However, even after minutes of doing it was futile. The tips of Kyuhyun's fingertips are starting to get cold but stilled continued to repeat the process again and again till the police and the ambulance came.

---

Kyuhyun's flight was cancelled that day and moved to next week. Police have said that the car was defective, the horns are broken and the car owner hasn't oiled the brakes causing the malfunctioning in the brakes. While the owner of the car died upon impact.

However, Kyuhyun care not a single bit about the owner of the car. Truthfully enough, he hated him with passion. Ryeowook's case is far more devastating than what that person's fate is. But for now, Kyuhyun's focus is on the butterfly that he gave Ryeowook that day. The police never found anything of what Kyuhyun's description says...

Kyuhyun's family helps Ryeowook's family on the burying process. Ryeowook's body was put in a special coffin and held in a designated place first 3 days then buried in the cemetery not to far away in their houses. The Cho are the one who paid and picked the place as well as decorating the place. Kyuhyun left his half in Ryeowook's tombstone still determined to find the missing half...


\\flashback end\\

Ryeowook gasped for air. As if he was holding his breath to his limit. Clutching his head as he try to keep his breathing to stable.

"That was my memories of what happened to you..." Yesung said. "Sorry about not telling it, I'm really fond of how deep the bonds and friendship between the two of you."

Ryeowook look at Yesung then face Kyuhyun. "Kyu..."

"For the 5 years, he is the only one who can't move on..." Yesung said, walking towards Ryeowook who still staring at Kyuhyun's back. “He can't move on because he can't find the missing piece. He kept on thinking he failed you."

Ryeowook shifted his gaze to Yesung. "Missing piece?"

"That..." Yesung pointed that Ryeowook's left pocket. Confused, Ryeowook took the item out of his pocket then he let out an inaudible sigh. What he holds in his hand is his broken half.

"This must have been broken in the accident, right?" Ryeowook mumbled to no one in particular then he looked at Kyuhyun's back. He sighed then smiled softly...

"Silly Kyu~"

Kyuhyun's eyes widen. He looked behind him. 'That voice... I can never forget that voice...'

Tears slowly clouded his eyes; he missed how that voice calls him. He misses... He was longing to hear it again...

Ryeowook walked towards Kyuhyun and hold his hand. Ryeowook was aware that Kyuhyun will not be able to feel nor see him but even-though he wanted to somehow hold the hand one last time...

Ryeowook smiled, then let go. Walking towards his tombstone, he places his broken half in place it should have. Placing it gave a bell like noise. Kyuhyun snap back to see what made the noise.

Kyuhyun fell down to his knees and began sobbing. One glance at the complete butterfly emblem in the tombstone. There's nothing to be forgiven...

-end-

 

Ellow guyz~! This is Reanee~!! I’m so happy~! Yesterday I received so many supports~! 9 Subscribers and 2 Comments and 1 friend request!! So happy that staying up late to finish it was worth it~! I’m really soft-hearted so I’m crying while I’m typing the tragedy part as in SERIOUSLY CRYING! I hope i didn't made the ending rushed!! Well anyway~ Time for Shout outs~!!

Thank you for the following people:

SuperJuniorR_13, Kikiez_rk, Special_White_Angel, Aulia21, DannyHyung, hellokyu, ryeoki, theloveinlife, and last but not the least SJmaknaes

 

PS: I'm gonna post the next chapter and suprisingly after opening Special_White_Angel's profile page (it's for the linking part of the shout out) it suddenly said new subscriber xDD well at least SJmaknaes was mentioned here~!

 

I hope my first story satisfies ya guyz~! You just read 2,808 words (six pages in word) not including the Author’s Note~!

 

AGAIN~ POSTER IS MADE BY Cher

 

Thank you~

Reanee~