Lovestruck

Lovestruck

 

 

No matter what I did, I couldn’t forget Krystal, couldn’t shake her from my mind or stop her from taking over my heart. I let myself drown in the feeling of being in love, even though it was probably the stupidest thing I’d ever done. I only got to see her twice a week during lacrosse practice, so when she’d show up, I let my eyes gorge on her perfect body, hidden from sight by t-shirts and jerseys. Krystal would catch me, though, every damn time.

 
It was like she could feel it whenever my gaze slipped onto her, and she’d look over at me, give me a heart melting smile, her dark brown eyes turning up into little half crescents, before she turned her attention back to playing the game. It wasn’t like she didn’t stare at me, either. Krystal looked at me more than I’d ever been able to, she was braver; she’d let her fingertips trace shapes into my back, twirl my pony tail with one finger, whisper in my ear, compliment me with an endless stream of words. 
 
And what did I do? Nothing. Oh God, I did nothing, and now look what’s happened. Glancing over my shoulder at the said girl, I felt the anger and jealousy bubble up inside of me at the sight of her with somebody else, and they’re laughing together, their shoulders brushing together ever so slightly. Amber Liu, Krystal’s “friend” from school. A pretty girl with black eyes and short, platinum blond hair: she fits Krystal’s type perfectly, the one she’s whispered to me thousands of times.
 
I find myself wishing I had blue eyes and blond hair, but Krystal’s head snaps to look at me, and she motions Amber to wait for her for a second, and makes her way over to me, a sweet smile on her face. The smile she only reserves for me, and only me. It makes my insides melt and my anger to fade, and Krystal slides a hand over my bare shoulders, goosebumps dotting over my skin and shivers running up my spine, “Sulli,” she whispers into my ear, coming in close to me, her front melding into mine, heat rolling off me in waves. “I know what you’re thinking.”
 
Oh, are you a mind reader, now? “Amber and I, we’re just friends, Sulli. Stop looking so sullen and upset, geez. And I don’t even want you to think that you want blue eyes or blond hair.” Krystal pulls away and tugs my chin up, forcing me to look into her amazing brown eyes, “God, Sulli, you’re perfect the way you are, okay?” The brown haired girl smiles one more time, “Well, to me anyways,” before she pulls away, giving my arm one last squeeze before walking away to join Amber at the parking lot to wait for their ride home. 
 
And just like that, I’m fine. Reassured by her whispers, calmed by her touch. Lovestruck. Somehow I love and hate the way she makes me feel like that, at the exact same time. She knows I love her. Damn how she knows I love her. Her ride pulls up and just before it pulls away, Krystal rolls down her window and yells, “SARANGHAE, CHOI SULLI!”, at the top of her lungs. And she knows I can’t suppress the smile that overcomes me, or the butterflies buzzing around in my stomach. God, this girl. She always knows what to say.