I Believe I Can Fly.

Spotlight

 

Here I stand before the grand steps leading to the Seoul National University of Science and Engineering. Mother accompanied my left while father on my right. Their heads were held high, anticipating the obvious future of success passing down the family line. Except it won't. I won't.

 

10:19am. Only six more minutes to go.

 

I explored the area to relax my tensed nerves while my parents sat in the visitor's room, probably boasting to other mothers and fathers about me. Typical. As I round a corner, I hear a commercial endorsement play. It sounded so enticing as the honey vocals strung each heartstring of mine. The mysterious voice sounded louder as I inched closer and closer, just as it began singing the chorus.

 

"I used to think that I could not go on. That life was nothing but an awful song. But now I know the meaning of true love. By leaning on the everlasting arms…"

 

My heart ached the second I heard those words. I know this song - it's the song grandma had sang to me when I was five. It was the song that I had cherished and believed in whenever I had grandma by my side. But she left me, along with all those memories we shared, the laughter, the warmth, the song - all buried in the depths of my heart. And right now, has just been revived.

 

In a mess of sobs, my feet gradually walked towards the source of the song until I stood right in front of the TV, my right hand moving upwards as if to touch the song. Unconsciously, I sang along:

 

"I believe I can fly. I believe I can touch the sky. I think about it every night and day, spread my wings and fly away… I believe I can soar, I see me running through that open door. I believe I can fly…"

 

I poured my heart out. That was the last thing I remembered doing before making the most insane but the best decision in my entire life. It's time for me to create my own future.

 

* * * * *

 

A small vibration notified her that she had a new message. She tapped it open and read, aghast. Furiously, she and her husband jumped into their car and sped back to school.

 

* * * * *

 

Dearest mother and father. I'm going to follow my dreams and create my own future. There is an audition by TS Entertainment at school today, and I already signed up. Engineering may be your dreams but it isn't mine. I'm sorry I disappointed you. I want to journey on this path I have chosen, the pathway to my career of an artist's life. I want to sing.

 

On the bus, I pondered. Had I made the right decision after all? What if this audition fails… no, I don't even want to think of the 'what ifs', just in case it rings an omen I can never get out of. The bus soon pulled to a stop right in front of my school. 10:35am. Huffing and puffing, I ran. I have to make it in time before my parents arrive and stop me from pursuing the life I've chosen.

 

"Is contestant number 10 here?" The head judge asked, scanning the room, then whispering something to the other judges. "Well then, if contestant number 10 is not present, we'll have to-"

 

"Wait!" I screamed, panting and gripping onto the door handle of the auditioning room. I received whispers and glances from other contestants as a gift for my tardiness. I walked to the front of the stage, careful and conscious, then bowed to the judges. "I'm sorry for being late. I was caught up by the traffic," I half-lied. I don't want to rat out my parents about not allowing me to audition.

 

"It says here that you will audition with the song 'Good Day'. I'm looking forward to seeing you perform. Cue!" the first judge said, initiating me to start.

 

"Actually, sir, I would like to change songs. I want to sing Robert S. Kelly's 'I Believe I Can Fly'," I requested, just as my parents pushed open the doors to the auditorium. They searched the room and saw me up the stage. I know they would want to pull me by the ear and drag me back to the engineering entrance exam but I won't let that happen.

 

"You do know that will be very hard. May I ask why?" the female judge asked, frowning.

 

"I came prepared for something I thought I would successfully carry out. In the end, I realised I was wrong," I said, looking at mother and father. They calmed down a little, prepared to hear what I had to say next. "Even if I did win it, I wouldn't be satisfied, because I would still be hiding. Hiding behind a wall so tall that casted a shadow so vast that I feared I could not see sunlight again," I paused. By now, everyone's eyes were locked on mine. "It was this song that had given me a reason to believe, to soar above all my adversities. It's time I knock down that wall and leap over it, stand under the spotlight and shine even in the darkest of places… and it was also the one that helped me realise what I really want. I want to become a singer."

 

Mother and father faced each other, taking all of this in. It must've been hard on them; all these prolonged years occupied by endless work. They didn't have much time to hear me, but I understand. I can tell them now.

 

"Very well, can you sing without music to accompany you?" the female judge asked, her tone lighter and more compassionate than before.

 

I nodded confidently. Mother, father, this song is dedicated to you.

 

In the next three minutes, I sang my heart out. I feel light radiating from me. I see it - me in the middle of the stage surrounded by pitch black then out of nowhere, a spotlight flickered on, focusing on the main character positioned centre stage: me. I raised my microphone, steady, confidently. The crowed hushed. Everyone held their breaths; even the teeniest of movement can be heard.

 

Tears welled up in my eyes as I absorb every emotion portrayed in this song. I cry too much for a guy, but I didn't care. All my bottled feelings are finally escaping from its locked box, set free by this one song. I know my parents are watching me closely, and strangely, I can sense their support.

 

My memorable three minutes are finally over and I slowly open my eyes after extending the final note. I breathed, feeling purified for the first time in my life.

 

The auditorium was in complete tranquillity. No one in the room dared to speak or move as they wait for another to first break the silence. Did they enjoy the performance? I questioned worriedly.

 

The female judge stood up and clapped, answering my loitering inquiry. Following her lead, everyone else gave a standing ovation, cheering wildly. Even mother and father joined in.

 

I don't know anything else that had happened or will happen but all I know is that this is the moment I've been anxiously waiting for. The moment father and mother gave their approval after seeing me perform so magnificently up stage was the greatest moment I could ever have imagined.

 

"Thank you mother, father," I whispered.

 

And the rest was history.

 

*Two years later.*

 

"Hello and welcome back to Music Bank! Ah, we have a new face debuting today, is that right Sulli?" Victoria, an MC hosting Music Bank asked her co-host.

 

"That's exactly right! He is one with absolute talent, mastering even legendary IU's Good Day eight-octave high note! And his extraordinary re-make piece of 'I Believe I Can Fly' has shaken the hearts of all our audiences, young and old, male and female!" she commented excitedly.

 

"Please give a round of applause as Jung Daehyun, our nation's little brother makes his debut stage a spectacular!" Victoria introduced. All eyes were fixated on the stage as the curtains parted.

 

It's time I show the world this stage belongs to me.

 

* * * * *

A/N: Do you like my little touch on f(x) as MCs there? And I left Daehyun debuting as a solo artist because it just feels better; matches well with the direction of the story. Hope you enjoyed it! Post your comments and I'll reply to each one :)

Anticipate my next work!

--DaeTokki