Chapter 1

Sharing

Being the only son of one of the most respected doctors in the country made Kyuhyun grew up with everything served in a silver platter. He didn't have to break a sweat to get what he wanted, a few tantrums here and several shouts and cries and voila, another new game or toy in his hands.

 

It didn't helped that he was the only person his father had, having both his mother and sister die when he was barely a year old because of some strange illness that was then uncurable. So Kyuhyun didn't have to put an effort to get his dad's attention, nor did he have to share everything he has.

 

He wasn't entirely a horrible son. He thanked his parents' gene for making him intelligent, thus another reason why his father is wrapped around his pudgy, little finger. His looks matched his witty personality, and soon popularity caught him and a lot of boys were trying to get friends with him while girls often giggled and blush whenever he's around. He really didn't cared if he was always alone during breakfast or lunch or dinner everyday, nor did he mind that his father never really shows up on parent meetings or family day or even to merely meet his homeroom teacher and get Kyuhyun's report card personally,  as long as at the end of the day, there's a new gift wrapped on fancy wrappers lying on his bed waiting for him to be opened and played.

 

Life was indeed perfect for the 8 year old boy.

 

Until his father remarried.


Kyuhyun's stepmom, reknowned neurologist Kim Joohyun, was everything a child can ask for a mom. She is caring, understanding and not once did Kyuhyun felt hatred towards the woman -except when she scolds him from playing too much or eating too much candy. Kim Joohyun filled the gap that his father left in Kyuhyun's life. She would personally take time off to at least eat breakfast or dinner with Kyuhyun or fetch him from school with a bag of candies or toys or show up at family day or to personally get his report card and even go to the extent of checking his homeworks, personally prepare his uniform and things for the next day and tuck him to bed before she goes to sleep after a tiring shift from the hospital. And Kyuhyun was thankful that it wasn't only an act to win him over.  Hell, it had already been 4 years since she and his dad married. Surely, any pretentious woman would get tired doing that for four years.

 

The only problem that she brought was her son, Kim Jongwoon.

 

Jongwoon was 2 years older than Kyuhyun and was Joohyun's child from a previous marriage. And unlike Kyuhyun who was used to being a spoiled brat, Jongwoon was the mellow child who never acted bratty to get what he wants, instead he strives hard to get it. Kyuhyun hated Jongwoon, thinking that it was the older's plan to act all nice and hardworking so he could also get what Kyuhyun has. The older's weird personality clashed with Kyuhyun's witty one, I mean, who would buy a turtle for a pet anyway?

 

Though Jongwoon was older, he was put in the same grade as Kyuhyun, since he stopped studying due to some health problems before. And Kyuhyun thought that his 'hyung' would never be accepted in his class.

 

And boy, was he wrong.

 

Jongwoon was also an intelligent kid and his grades rivalled Kyuhyun's. Girls, and several boys, noticed the quiet boy's looks that fairly challenged Kyuhyun's features as well, and slowly Kyuhyun realized that Jongwoon was slowly creeping up not only on his father's attention but also his current spot as the most popular boy in school.

 

Clearly, Kyuhyun has an issue about sharing, thus the start of his rocky relationship with his 'hyung'.

 

Jongwoon never treated Kyuhyun badly, he even shares everything with the younger boy, but it was always Kyuhyun who refuses to let Jongwoon to be a part of his life. He refused to share everything, because he thought that it was all an act of Jongwoon to get everyone's attention to him, not Kyuhyun. And apparently, Jongwoon is winning, from the maids to the teachers to his classmates and lastly to his parents, everyone liked Jongwoon more than ever, and he was slowly forgotten.

 

All thanks to Kim Jongwoon.


Hemophilia. Jongwoon has a disease called Hemophilia. Kyuhyun learned that Jongwoon may die of blood loss with just a single wound, and he learned it the hard way. He had never seen such many blood flowing out of his hyung's nose only from a single punch. Everything was a blur and his young mind couldn't process everything that was happening. He never meant to be cornered by the class bullies just cause of a snarky remark, hell he never meant for Jongwoon to see him get beat up. He didn't know how it happened, but all of a sudden he found Jongwoon in front of him, catching the punch that was meant for him.

 

He never meant to be weak. But the end just justified that he is indeed weak.

 

Kyuhyun had never seen Joohyun upset and mad, and for a moment he thought maybe her true colors were showing. But then, being the genius that he was, Kyuhyun realized that Joohyun was just scared to lose his only son. After all, what kind of mother would she be if she didn't felt anything while Jongwoon's life is at stake? He even flinched as he saw his father looking at him disapprovingly, a look that meant being grounded for an indefinite time and guaranteed long hours of sermon.

 

So, in the end, Jongwoon still won.

 

The moment Jongwoon opened his eyes, everyone was all over him like he was some kind of god. Everyone's attention was on him and it was easy for Kyuhyun to slip away unnoticed. The little boy found himself sitting on the rooftop of the hospital -it wasn't that hard to find, since he almost grew up in the hospital. The sun had already set and the moon was beautiful that night, but Kyuhyun paid no heed. It had been hours since Jongwoon woke up and hours since he slipped away from the room, and yet in those hours no one bothered to look for him. Hey, he was injured as well.

 

But not critical for everyone to notice.

 

He sighed and stood up, his little body shivering a bit with the cold wind that the autumn brought. "What if I bleed a lot, would they notice me too?" He scoffed as he stood at the edge of the rooftop. Everything seemed small from where Kyuhyun was standing, and one step was all it took to join the little cars down the busy street. He took a deep breath and closed his eyes.

 

"Yah. If you wanna be noticed again, that's not a good idea." Kyuhyun found himself spun around to face his hyung. Jongwoon was clad on his thin hospital gown, his feet bare and his skin still looking pale. The older boy weakly, yet firmly, pulled Kyuhyun away from the edge and the latter only struggled when he realized that he was a good few feet away from the edge.

 

"What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be happy while everyone's on your feet waiting for your orders?!" Kyuhyun shook off Jongwoon's shaky hand off of his arm while hot tears clouded his vision. "I hate you! You took everything away from me!"

 

"Do you think I like all the attention they're giving me?" Jongwoon said calmly, yet the intensity of his voice made Kyuhyun stood frozen on the ground. "Do you think I like it when they treat me as if I'm gonna die any moment? That all my moves are being watched so I won't get wounded?"

 

"Hyung..."

 

"I envy you, cause you can play outside freely, you don't have to worry about getting wounded or bruised while you're playing. I envy you cause all this time, my mom never took care of me like the way she does with you and you're not even sick. I envy you cause my mom only takes care of me when I'm bleeding to death, while you, you don't have to do anything to get my mom and your dad's attention on you. You don't have to put your life at stake for you to be noticed. All you have to do is smile and it meant the whole world to them. So if you wanna be like me, then go ahead, but as your hyung I won't let it happen."

 

So many questions were swirling inside Kyuhyun's genius mind, but his mouth can't say all of them but one.

 

"Why?"

 

The question meant a lot of things for the both of them, and it took a while before Jongwoon answered with that genuine smile of his.

 

"Because no matter what happens you'll always be my dongsaeng, and hyungs should take care of their dongsaengs."


Kyuhyun can't keep the goofy smile off of his face. And it seemed like the weather was feeling his jovial mood that day. Everything seemed so bright and the chirps of the birds from the trees weren't as annoying as it was back then for Kyuhyun. He didn't cared about the usual crowd of students who always stop in the middle of the hallways while chatting, which unnerved him to no end, and he didn't mind that he was running late for his next class.

 

In fact, the Cho Kyuhyun, who was the snobbish and snarky model student with a stick shoved up his at all times, was even considering to skip classes for the rest of the afternoon.

 

Why?

 

Because his now favorite professor -although he had been Kyuhyun's least favorite one prior today, paired him with his biggest crush, Viviene Lee, for the year long project they have to do on their subject. Not only that, but she also asked him to meet up at the cafe tomorrow afternoon, well not on a date but to talk about their project. But still, a guy could imagine, right?

 

Damn, he could still hear the angelic voice of hers ringing through his ear like a melody.

 

Finally, it's the chance he's been waiting for her to notice him, and nothing could dampen his mood for the rest of the week. In fact he was so high up in his delusional cloud nine that he wasn't aware that his older brother had been calling him for the past few minutes, and that he had been so close to walking straight to a wall and was almost this close to humiliating himself in front of the majority of the students.

 

But still, the Cho Kyuhyun didn't mind. Oh no, not at all.

 

He was still all smiles even when Jongwoon pulled him out of his reverie and pinching his ear. "Yah, what's wrong with you? I've been calling you for like several times already and almost half the population heard me but you continue your merry way to your humiliation with that goofy smile of yours."

 

"Ah, hyung! There you are! Why don't we have a chat while drinking your favorite coffee and eating pretzels? It's on me don't worry." Jongwoon was startled when Kyuhyun dragged him down the hallways while smiling creepily to the students looking at them.

 

"Yah, you're creeping the freshmen students with that smile of yours." Jongwoon chuckled as he wrapped a heavy arm around Kyuhyun's lanky shoulders and walked beside him. "Also, coffee and pretzels and your treat doesn't go well in one sentence. You hate coffee, despise pretzels and you loathe spending money on others. And besides don't you have a class? Who are you and what have you done to my stuck up step brother with a stick shoved up in his while kissing up on his profe--ow! I was just kidding."

 

"I'm going to pretend that I didn't heard that." Kyuhyun muttered after jabbing his elbow against Jongwoon's rib hard enough to hurt his hyung, but soft enough not to bruise the latter. After all, he can't afford to bruise his hyung to death.

 

Nothing changed after the years had passed. Kyuhyun was still the snarky brat he was, throwing snarky comments to his hyung and even bullying him by using Ddangkoma -the cute little turtle- for blackmail. But he had a silent agreement with himself to share everything with Jongwoon, but he did it subtly, for he was afraid his hyung might misunderstand it as a sign of pity towards him. And through all those years, they acted like real brothers, bickering at times but very close with each other.

 

Both were now sophomores in a medical school, Kyuhyun as an aspiring surgical oncologist and Jongwoon choosing to become a cardiologist (or a surgeon too, but he hasn't decided yet), as he joked he wanted to "heal broken hearts". They both shared the same dorm, and Kyuhyun didn't mind. In fact it was him who offered to share the dorm, after an hour of stuttering and cursing in front of his hyung.

 

Jongwoon never changed. He was still the same older brother that understands his dongsaeng, he's still the generous brother that would give everything willingly for his brother. It was enough to know that Kyuhyun was happy, just like how he was wearing that rare goofy smile on his lips. He can't help but smile as well.

 

One thing that never changed is their "chivalrous" rivalry. After all, sibling rivalry is a constant, not only with them, but to almost every siblings out there. The only consolation is that theirs toned down gradually as they matured.

 

"So, did someone finally pulled out the proverbial stick out of your or should I call the police and inform them that aliens replaced my mean brother with the perfect dongsaeng?"

 

"Yah." Kyuhyun glared at Jongwoon while they finally reached the university cafe, and since it was the middle of the afternoon and classes are still on going, the cafe was almost deserted except for a handful of students enjoying their break.

 

"Fine, fine, I'll just shut my mouth and wait for my cute, little dongsaeng over that isolated table over the corner before telling me the awesome story that happened earlier while squealing like a high school girl." Jongwoon chuckled as he avoided Kyuhyun's fist and quickly made his way towards the table, leaving Kyuhyun on the counter to order.

 

It didn't have to take a genius to know that a girl was the reason why Kyuhyun was acting the way he was earlier. Jongwoon knew, cause lately he had been feeling the same way, but a little less discreet than Kyuhyun. Jongwoon chuckled, true that Kyuhyun maybe brandished as the school's heart throb, but the boy had no experiences with women. In fact Kyuhyun was a closet nerd, his nights spent on having dates with his laptop and starcraft.

 

Well, not that Jongwoon has any experience, but still...

 

"So what's her name so I could thank her for all this yummy treats?" The older asked as soon as Kyuhyun sat in front of him a tray containing a plate full of cinnamon pretzels and a tall cup of Latte Macchiato. Kyuhyun blushed madly as he crossed his arms on his chest.

 

"How did you know?"

 

"Well, let's just say hyung feels the same way you feel right now. Only waaaaayyy more discreet in showing than you." Jongwoon chuckled, taking a pretzel and nibbling on the edge of it. Kyuhyun looked at Jongwoon and glared at him.

 

"Why do you always have to steal the spotlight from me?"

 

Though it was meant to be an inside joke to them, they both know that Kyuhyun half meant the statement and that Jongwoon was half hurt by the statement. Nevertheless, they ignored the feeling. After all jokes are supposed to be always half meant, right?

 

The older forced a smile and shrugged nonchalantly, staring at Kyuhyun with an amused look. "I don't know, isn't it funny that we always have to share the same fate and fight for the same spotlight?"

 

Not really.

 

"Anyway, to put it short, hyung has a girlfriend now." Jongwoon said with an effort to make the statement as nonchalant as possible before sipping on the almost forgotten Latte Macchiato. A few moments of silence, and Jongwoon's eyes never left Kyuhyun's blank expression, until the latter burst out laughing.

 

"That was the funniest joke ever, hyung! Are you for real? You have the emotional range of a teaspoon!"

 

"Look who's talking!" Jongwoon said, torn between getting angry at Kyuhyun and just join him in his amusement. The former seemed tempting but he chose the latter, after all, he knew Kyuhyun was masking his disappointment with a strained laugh. Well, Jongwoon had beaten him up on getting a girlfriend, and it's another blow to his high pride.

 

"Jongwoonie?" Kyuhyun felt his heart skip a beat when he heard that familiar angelic voice. His eyes saw the way his hyung's face changed, as if it literally lit up.

 

"Oh. Speaking of the angel." Kyuhyun felt glued on the spot as he watched how Jongwoon stood and gathered the woman with the bright aura and bright smile and angelic voice in his arms, and he felt his heart shatter when his hyung leaned forward and kissed her. It was another blow to his manly pride, that Jongwoon had beaten him up with her.

 

Viviene Lee.

 

And fate had a way of rubbing it on his face hard.

 

The following day, Kyuhyun asked his professor to pair him up with anyone other than Viviene Lee.


A/N: I did lots of research for this. Oncologists are surgeons that specialize in operating patients with cancer. :) Tell me what you think! :)

A/N: (10/30/2013) Oncologists are the doctors who treat patients with cancer. Surgical oncologists are the surgeons who remove cancerous cells from the patient's body. So, I decided to make both of them surgeons for some reasons. hehehe I'll update this soon, don't worry. :)