Ten

Behind Closed Doors

Ni Nah unlocked the door to her apartment and walked in calmly like she would any other day. Yunho's keys were on the table next to the door, so she knew he was home. She didn't exactly know what to expect from him. He would be pissed the off that she didn't tell him about her pregnancy first, but other than that, she wasn't sure if he would be happy or even more pissed the off. She herself wasn't even sure what to think about bring pregnant. Every child was a gift from God, but this child was spawn from the devil's vessel himself. 

She entered the living room, where her husband sat in the single armchair facing her. He was pinching the bidge of his nose between his fingers and looked up when she came in. She noticed that the blood from before was gone, and immidately knew that Changmin was responsible. Yunho never cleans up after his messes, including her.

The two of them just stared at each other for a while, not saying anything. Yunho's expression was unreadable. Ni Nah looked neither angry or sad. Just stoic, as always.

"When did you find out?" he finally spoke up.

"Today."

"How do I know you're not lying about all this?"

She reached into her bag and pulled out a yellow manila envelope. Taking a few steps forward she threw it on his lap. He reached inside and saw a few papers and a photograph... a sonogram. Yunho's eyes widened when he saw the picture. There was a little white speck with the very, very faint form of a baby. His baby. His heart skipped a beat. His baby was inside her. The baby that he's always wanted to make with Ara is inside that witch. 

"How far along are you?" his voice quivered a little bit when he spoke, not going unnoticed by Ni Nah.

"Three weeks."

Ni Nah crossed her arms and watched him as he shuffled through the papers that the doctor had given her. It described how she should be eating, resing, and everything else a new mom should know about to take care of the baby. The last page was a note from the doctor himself, nothing the weakness of the baby and the mother. Yunho read through them once, twice, even three times, and it still didn't get through to him. 

"You almost killed it, you know," she spoke, breaking him out of his trance. 

"Maybe it would have been better if I did," he snapped, standing up suddenly.

She frowned, her blood starting to boil. "Listen here, Yunho," she spoke lowly. "I hate you, and you hate me, I get it. But this baby has nothing to do with how much we dislike each other. It doesn't deserve to get caught up in its stupid parent's dumb fued." She took another step closer to him, a finger jabbing at his chest, "I am going to keep this baby whether you like it or not. And you are not going to lay another finger on me ever again."

"Why the should I listen to you?" he hissed back at her. "You were the one who ruined my life, you're the one who ruined everything, and now that you're ing pregnant--"

"WHY DO YOU ALWAYS THING THIS MARRIAGE ONLY AFFECTED YOU?!" she suddenly screamed, "If you've forgotten, a marraige includes two people, and it takes TWO people to make a damn baby!" She caught him off guard, he stood there shocked, not knowing what to say. "You think MY life wasn't ruined when I found out we were arranged? You think I didn't feel betrayed by my mother?!" She picked up the sonogram and shoved it at his chest, "If you hadn't ing me so much, this wouldn't happen! If you hadn't started abusing me and hitting me, this wouldn't have happened!" After a whole year, she finally felt the tears come to her eyes as she yelled at him. She pounded her fists on his chest angrily. "You ruined my life, you idiot! We could have tried to make this work, tried to act like adults and worked things out but you went and threw a tantrum and wouldn't even try!" The tears cascaded down her cheeks and Yunho did nothing but stare at her as she weakly pounded on his chest, her yells turning into a jumbled mess of words as she hit him. 

He caught her wirsts and shook her. "STOP!" he snapped. She jumped and looked at him through her tears, ashamed that she let herself be weakened so easily. 

He held her wrists tightly looked at her. She winced, feeling his hands grip her wrists in an iron hold. "Are you done now?" he said, no emotion in his voice. She didn't respond, only struggled against his grip and sniffed. 

"I'm just..." she sniffled again and lowered her eyes, "I'm so tired, Yunho."

He looked at her closely. Maybe he has been too harsh. Maybe if he gave their marriage a chance--

Flashes of Ara suddenly flooded his mind, her face, her smile, the way her hair felt against his face when the wind blew--

He shook her head and abruptly dropped her hands and turned around, a hand running down his face. Ni Nah wiped her eyes with the back of her hand and turned as well. She glanced at the sonogram that was now lying on the floor. That little white speck was in her belly, slowly but surely turning into a baby. Her baby. 

She crouched down and picked it up. She put a hand on her stomach and a small smile came on her face. "You're a fighter, aren't you?" she whispered to herself, "You're a strong little one. There must be a reason why God saved you after all the trouble mommy and daddy have put you through."

Yunho heard this and frowned. Any other person would be happy to hear that his wife was pregnant... but when he found out, it was like a living nightmare that had only begun.