Once in a life time Opportunity

Change of heart

I walked into the building that I worked at for a whole year now. I was wearing a pair of ripped, black skinny jeans, a sweatshirt that had a blue and purple space print on it and a pair of Dr. Martens that matched my sweat shirt. I had my leather messenger bag hanging of my left shoulder while I was holding a coffee in my right hand. My hair was up in a high tight pony tail that was curled. This was my everyday look. It was comfortable, hid my body, and looked good. As for hiding my curves it’s not that I am not proud of how curvy I am, it is just that I don’t like guy’s staring at my body. Believe me there are a lot of young boys working here and they will check me out without shame. I made that mistake thinking I could wear a shirt that was sort of tight the first day I worked here and I have learned from my mistakes. I mean who wouldn’t when you have boys practically drooling over you or trying to pinch your as you walk by. As for everyone else they wear white lab coats which I am not very fond of so I decided I wasn’t going to wear them from the start. I walked through the metal doors that locked behind me to make sure we didn’t have any escaping aliens. Or at least that is what the government likes to say. I on the other hand hate caging them up like they are monsters. Yes, I agree that a few of them should be caged because they don’t  know how to control themselves at the moment, but there are some that are well behaved and look almost human. So from my point of view I ask as to why we can’t let them out of the building with supervision of course or their cages at least. This is the only part of my job that I hate, is to watch them be treated like animals when in reality they are more advanced than us and we should be asking for their help to advance our society instead of treating them like they are lower than us. I was so in thought about how we were supposed to treat them that I didn’t realize that someone was tapping my shoulder.

“Excuse me Ellie,” one of my colleagues said bringing me out of my thoughts. I hadn’t noticed that I had reached my small organized office. I turned around and was met with Andrew who happened to be my boss. His dark blue eyes met mine and softened a bit as if I was something special to him. He was only a few years older than me and was actually pretty handsome, but I was never attracted to him like he was to me. I know some girls would think I was stupid for not wanting this six foot, muscular guy that looked like he was an Abercrombie model, but he just never caught my eye in that way.

“What’s up boss,” I said to him smiling politely at him.

“We got a new group of aliens in today, since you have been here for a year now and have done such a tremendous job helping out with the other group we have here I was wondering if you would like to be the one to watch over them,” He said his bright teeth glinting at me due to the lighting as he smiled widely. I was shocked. I had never been asked for such a big task and this was a once in a life time opportunity well if you couldn’t tell because this is the second group of aliens we have gotten in this facility. The other group has been here for ten years and they are still caged when a couple of them are well behaved and don’t attack us. I know the other two need to be kept in their cages because they attack anyone who enters their cage well besides me that is. I don’t know what it is about me, but the first four that arrived treat me with respect and maybe it is because I treat them better than the other people here.

“Alright let me put my stuff down and then we can go see them,” I said trying hard to contain my excitement. I only hope that Andrew doesn’t turn this against me and say that I need to go on a date with him now because he gave me such a great opportunity; one that would be my responsibility for the rest of my life because I know that they will never be let out of here. I walked further into my office so I could place my bag on my chair and my coffee on my desk. I turned around and gestured for him to lead the way to were the new group of aliens is being held. He walked out of my small office and started walking down the hall slowly to make sure that I caught up to him. I wasn’t too fond of walking beside him, but I it up and took it like the big girl that I am since he was my boss and I didn’t want to seem rude.

“So Ellie how was your day off yesterday,” He suddenly asked breaking the silence between us as we walked down the white hallway. ‘Dang I was enjoying the silence’ I groaned in my head, but keeping my fake smile plastered on to my face, hiding the annoyance I was feeling right now.

“It was good I saw Ashley and we caught up with each other,” I told him trying to be vague since it really wasn’t any of his business about what I do or don’t do on my free time.

“That’s great I assume she is well,” He asked yet again looking at me from the corner of his eye. I didn’t look at him, but I could feel his gaze burning into the side of my head. I just nodded my head yes and trying to regain the silence we once had between each other, but apparently that couldn’t be done. “When is your next day off,” He asked again breaking the silence that I so desperately wanted to hold onto.

“Not for a while since you just assigned me to watch over the new group of aliens and not to mention Ashley won’t be back for another month or two. Besides I don’t need time off there is nothing to go home to at the moment and I don’t have enough time to go all the way back to America to visit my busy family. So since I have nothing at home to do then why not work seems like the logical thing to do anyways,” I answered him wondering why he couldn’t just go look my schedule up instead if he wanted to know so badly.

“Well maybe that should change; I mean the empty house part. You are a young and beautiful woman I am sure there are many men out there would want to date you. I think it would be a waste if you were single your whole life don’t you agree,” he said to me with a look of concern. I knew that the only thing he really wanted to do is get in my pants, which most guys wanted to do. There is a reason I am not dating right now and work is just the perfect excuse when it comes to guys asking me out

“I don’t have time right now, maybe later I will settle down, but as of right now I am too young. I don’t think I am ready to raise my own family at the age of twenty,” I said trying to keep my annoyance covered up in both tone and facial features. I was relieved when we were at a giant metal door that led to the new group of alien’s pits. I placed my hand on the screen next to the door allowing the green laser to scan my hand. A little compartment opened and a pad with ten digits on it popped out waiting for me to type in the code to the door. I typed the twenty digit code in causing the metal doors to slide open. Each door that held something important behind it had their own codes and only certain people know the code to the door. Like this door right here in front of me, only certain people in this building know it which means that there are only certain people are allowed in here. I walked through the doors with my so called boss Andrew following behind me like a lost puppy as the door shut behind him. I seriously am tired of him following me around and then when he decides to stare at my rear end practically burning two holes through it because he apparently can't take his eyes off of it. It doesn't matter if I am wearing a shirt that slightly showed my mid drift or sweat shirt that covers most of my up he still stares as if it is a magnet that just draws his eyes to it. I can't explain how annoyed it makes me and believe me if he wasn't my boss I would tell him off right this minute. When I walked down the little dark hallway I could feel the temperature slightly rise as the light at the end of the hall way got larger. I walked through the tunnel and into a giant cement dome room. I could see people in lab coats bustling around trying to write down as much information as they can about these new creatures. I walked over to one of my senior colleagues who were furiously typing on the computer while looking at the notes that had been given to him to put into a digital format. 

"Hello Mr. Lee glad to see that you will be helping me out on this new group," I said sitting next to him in a rolling desk chair. He looked over to me and gave me a big smile that created wrinkles at the edge of his eyes. He was probably about twice my age and married with children who were either just entering high school or graduating. I liked being around my older male colleagues because they had more respect for me when it came to checking me out since most of them were happily married with children of their own who were fairly close to my age. 

"Hello Dr. Lewis let’s do well on this project ok," I smiled at him when he said that and nodded my head before turning to my boss. 

"Thank you for showing me the room as well as giving me the opportunity to be in charge of the new aliens. If you don't mind I will be getting to work now sir," I said with fake politeness, but he couldn’t tell that it was fake since I was really good at acting. He nodded at me and I could see that he was reluctant to leave, but did so any way. When the door closed behind him I dropped my polite act mentally cursing my luck for having a boss that couldn't keep his eyes of me. "Gah stupid Andrew and his erted gaze, I swear if I didn't love my job so much or if he weren't my boss I would give him a piece of my mind," I grumbled under my breath, but I guess it was still loud enough for Mr. Lee to hear since he was sitting right next to me. I could hear him chuckle at me like my father would do when I would complain about something. 

"Maybe he wants court you Ellie, I mean he can't keep his eyes off you," Mr. Lee said using my first name since our boss wasn't there. He always called me by my first name and I always called him by his last name to be polite even though he said I could call him by his first name.

"Ya I am sure, I bet he would rather get in my pants more than anything," I sighed looking to see the holes in the ground where the pits are. "Alright enough about my problems, how many did we get this time, what are their , and how long have they been here," I asked the basic questions since that was all we really knew besides their physical features. 

"There are five of them, all male, and they had been here since five this morning so that means about an hour and a half," he said looking at me while he crossed his arms over his chest and leaning back in his chair. I nodded my head in silent thanks before walking over the pit that was closest to us. 

When I got to the railing a peered over the edge to see the steep rounded walls that had sand at the bottom of them. That didn't catch my eye though; it was the shape that was huddled against the wall across from me. I could see that he had his knees pulled to his chest, with his arms draped around them and his head resting on top of them. His hair was short and black. I couldn't tell much about his build since he was curled up, but I could see he wore black boots, black jeans, and a black coat, but I couldn't tell if he was wearing anything under that since his knees were to his chest. If I didn't know any better it would look like he was crying just by the position he was in. 

I couldn't take it anymore I marched over to the stairs that curled around the dome shaped hole. When I reached the bottom of the room I was met with a guard who was looking at me like I was crazy.  He must be new since he didn't know that I was the type of person that got up close and personal with them even without the standard protection that was issued to everyone. 

"Ma'am I am going to have to ask you to go back up stairs you are not permitted to go through these doors," he said stiffly, looking at me with a glare that was suppose to scare me off, but it didn't because I could also see him checking me out yet it was a bit more subtle than Andrews intense stare. 

"You must be new here, my name is Dr. Ellie Lewis and I just so happen to be in charge of this group of aliens and I do things differently than what you were told so if you could please allow me access to this pit it would be greatly appreciated," I told him pulling my ID tag out from under my jacket to show him. 

"I'm sorry Dr. please forgive me. You may go through, but I must warn you as well as advise you to put your protective suit on because this one has already attacked one of our men. He was sent to the hospital since he had received severe wounds I wouldn’t like to see a beautiful lady like yourself end up like he did," he said to me, I know he was looking out for my safety and I will be honest that was really sweet, but at the same time it made me mad that he was obviously hitting on me. 

"I thank you for your concern, but I can assure you have done this before with another group that won't let many people near them. Besides I bet your friend who is injured went in there with a weapon so that he felt threatened. Trust me I have done this before so if you would kindly open this door I would be grateful," I said in a cold voice, but plastered a sickly sweet smile on my face. I guess he couldn't really tell I was mad because he looked at me the same way, but reluctantly opened the giant metal door for me so I could enter the pit. The door quickly closed behind me with a loud slam that echoed throughout the pit, making the poor guy who was huddled by the wall flinch. 'What a pansy' I thought about the guard who just slammed the door as soon as I was in. I slowly walked closer to him making sure that I didn't make him alarmed or go into a defensive mode. When I was a few feet away from him I could see him raise his head slightly from his knees. I decided that I was close enough to him so I decided to sit down in front of him so I could show him I meant no threat. He looked at me curiously yet was still a little weary of my presence. His head slowly came up all the way and I could see a new emotion playing in his eyes. Fear, it was showing deeply in his eyes yet no emotions played on his face. I showed him my hands to show that I wasn't carrying a weapon hoping to make him feel a little safer. 

"Don't worry I'm not here to hurt you, if anything I want to help you out. I don't know if you can understand me, but I would much rather keep you safe and out of harm’s way," I said not expecting an answer. I know if I was in his position I wouldn't answer a person who helped keep me caged in one place. I took that time of silence to study his facial features. His violet eyes softened a little, but held a calculating gaze as I sat there quietly not making any moves so he could study me as well. He had a soft face almost a little childish, but had a mature look to it. His eyes were almond shaped with bags under them making him look like a panda bear while his hair was short and slightly tousled, but looked soft. I wanted to pat his head, but I refrained from doing so since he would think I would attack him. I could see him start to look a little more comfortable around me yet, all that could be lost if I made any sudden movement towards him. He was so cute though, I found him to be much more attractive than Andrew who constantly hits on me.

"I know you must be scared, but I want you to know I won't let anything happen to you or your friends. I hate to see you caged in, but I don’t have the authority to let you out at the moment. Alright I am going to go see you friends now I will be back to check up on you ok," I said giving him a reassuring smile. When I got up and started to turn around I could see slight panic playing in his eyes. "Don't worry I will be back I promise," I said and watched him relax a little bit. I smiled and turned around to walk back to the door I entered through. I was proud of myself for being able to accomplish something today. 'Now it's time to see the rest of them' I though as I walked the through the door that was once again quickly closed behind me. I nodded to the guard as I continued up the stairs to the next pit. Hopefully I will have just as much success if not more with the next one. Either way this was a good start. 

 

OK so that is the first chapter I hop you liked it :) let me know what you think!