Disquiet

Heartful Cry
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It has been two months since Yuri’s death.

Life for the small town continued on despite the loss of one of its own. Mid-semester exams were around the corner for Sooyoung, Yoona, and Tiffany, and they all found themselves buried in books and notes. Normally, they would complain about studying for the test like they always have, but to them, it was a needed distraction.  While they have learned to accept Yuri was no longer with them, there were times they would miss her presence dearly, causing them to feel sad again, especially for Sooyoung. After two long weeks of prepping for their exams, the three girls were finally finished and were able to breathe again until their last wave of exams before the semester ended.

“Finally we’re free!” Tiffany cheered, raising her arms in the air. “I can’t wait to reward myself with a bubble bath and some champagne!”

Sooyoung chuckled in amusement. “But Tiffany. You can’t drink champagne. You’re not old enough to drink alcohol yet.”

“I know. It’s really sparkling apple and grape cider at my house, but I like saying champagne because it sounds fancier,” Tiffany replied with a small giggle.

“I’m surprised you’re not eating strawberry ice cream instead. You usually like to indulge yourself in sweet and pink desserts after tests,” Yoona teased and poked Tiffany’s arm.

Tiffany let out a small whine and pouted her lips. “I wish. But if I keep eating sweets, I’ll get fat! You two never have that problem since you guys can eat anything without gaining weight.”

Sooyoung and Yoona laughed and gave their friend a sympathetic pat on the shoulder.

After leaving the school building, they walked together for several meters before Sooyoung turned around to face them. “I’m meeting Jessica by the river today, so you two can go ahead without me.”

“Again? You’ve been seeing her a lot these days,” Yoona commented, though she wasn’t surprised.

“Yeah, Sooyoung! When are you going to introduce this Jessica to us? I’m eager to meet her,” Tiffany chimed in.

The taller of the group scratched the side of her head, uncertain. For some reason, there was a tiny feeling inside her that wanted to keep her friendship with the blonde exclusively for her. Sooyoung didn’t mention the thought aloud however. “Let me ask to see if she’s free to meet you guys sometime. I’ll let you guys know what her availability is for this week.”

“Sounds good!” Yoona and Tiffany answered in unison, giving Sooyoung a bright smile.

Sooyoung waved goodbye to her friends and began taking her usual route towards the side of the river where she usually goes to meet up with Jessica, walking at a brisk pace till she reached the bridge. Once on the other side, she already could see the familiar blonde and grinned to herself, carefully sliding down the grassy slope. It didn’t seem like Jessica noticed her yet as she gazed at the glimmering river. Tiptoeing closer, Sooyoung waited till she was right behind her and abruptly placed her hands on the other girl’s shoulders, earning her a screeching dolphin cry so high pitched, it made the taller girl’s ears ring.

Jessica turned around and pouted. “Sooyoung! You scared me!”

Sooyoung laughed and took her place next to the other girl, grinning victoriously. “That was the plan. That was some scream though. Have you always had the ability to communicate with dolphins?”

“Yah,” Jessica laughed along as she gave the taller girl a playful shove. “Watch it. I can probably destroy your eardrums if I wanted to. Anyways, how was school?”

“How was school?” Sooyoung repeated. “Sounds like a question my mom would ask me. Not much besides finally being free from tests for the time being. For how behind I was, I think I did okay. What about you? How was your day? I take it you visited Krystal at the hospital again.”

Jessica pursed her lips and nodded slowly. “Of course. You know I visit her every day. Her condition is stable, so I’m not going to lose hope. Plus, if there’s the chance she’ll wake up, no matter how small the odds are, I want to be there when she opens her eyes.”

The blonde’s answer placed a gentle smile on Sooyoung’s face. She admired the dedication and feelings Jessica had for her sister. It only made sense since Krystal is all Jessica has left. “I know one day she will, and when she does, you’ll be the first thing she sees!”

Jessica blinked before she returned a smile of her own. “Thank you, Sooyoung.  I won’t ever give up on Krystal, because I know she needs me.”

“That’s the spirit,” Sooyoun

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter