- Meeting the other 'him'

It's funny, isn't it? [UNDER HEAVY EDITING]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You kept sitting on that chair for a while. You were reluctant to stand up and go home. You weren’t looking forward to sit alone in that damned house. Your dad was always working and your younger twin brother, well; you didn’t know where he was most of the time.

‘’Hyejinnie~’’

You tilted your head to the side with a smile. You recognized his deep voice straight away.

It was Dawook. Kim Dawook. He was a doctor who worked in your dad’s hospital. He also happened to be the only doctor you liked. People often complain about doctors being selfish in general, right? Well, you knew this was a fact like no other. You were confronted on a daily basis with those stupid types.

However Dawook was different. You had known him for quite a while. This man always walked around with a gentle smile. His eyes were sympathetic and he actually took time in socializing with his patients and the other nurses. Dawook had a wife, whom you also knew. The poor lady was paralyzed over her whole body, except for her face and neck. Unfortunately she couldn’t speak, though. You didn’t know how she ended up in that state but you did know she hadn’t always been like this.

She was like a second mother to you. Even though she couldn’t speak, you were still able to communicate with her. In the past you visited her a lot, you made puzzles with her and chatted- even though it was you who talked all the time. You could let out all of your frustrations while she listened carefully and nodded once in a while.

‘’How have you been, dear?’’ Dawook walked up to you and pulled you into a hug. You chuckled while smelling his familiar, mint scent.

‘’I’ve been fine, I guess.’’ You replied while pulling away.

‘’I heard you brought in some gangster?’’

 

Of course, he would get straight to the point, you thought to yourself.

Dawook looked at you with a questioning look. Like he couldn’t quite understand why you, of all people, would bring someone like the gangster in.

You pulled your hair a bit, feeling uncomfortable. ‘’Yeah, I happened to pass by. So, I helped him.’’

Dawook smiled and ruffled your hair. ‘’I see. Anyway, the wife has been missing you; she keeps looking at your picture. I think it would be nice if you could come over for dinner tonight?’’

‘’ I would love to actually, who’s going to cook?’’ You nudged him playfully, ‘’not you, I hope…’’

‘’ No, no, Yoona is going to cook.’’ He chuckled. ‘’And I also have a guest.’’

 He hesitated for a moment, being extremely careful.

‘’ Actually,’’ he started after you both sat down, ‘’ I have a cousin, I would want you to meet.’’

You stared at him, was he trying to set you up?

‘’I hope you won’t misunderstand, I’m not saying you should date him. I only want you to meet him, maybe you’ll like him as a friend?’’

‘’Sounds like set-up to me though?’’ You said with a giggle.

It couldn’t be bad, right? What if he’s extremely handsome? It sure runs in the family.

You smirked as you decided to play around, ‘’ so—‘’ you started as you leaned in with one hand covering the left side of your mouth,’’— is he handsome?’’

Dawook’s eyes suddenly lighted up. He probably saw through you as he played along. ‘’Why yes, he sure is, I think you’ll like him. Also-he is going to college. A serious, young man, I’ll have to say’’.

Your eyes narrowed as you let out a chuckle. ‘’I’m convinced, what time should I be there?’’

Dawook explained that he had invited your dad, too. They had already discussed the small details about the dinner. You nodded and pretended to be excited. You knew your dad wouldn’t show up and you had a hunch Dawook knew about it, too. Your dad would probably end up sending you by yourself or with Jinhwan, your twin brother.

 

Later that day you arrived at Dawook’s house- by yourself. As expected your dad called from the hospital at the last moment with a lame excuse. Your dad could be a total at times; you had already learned the hard way that he wasn’t the person you could rely on. Before he cut the line- he made sure you would apologize on his behalf and he told you to bring Jinhwan with you. It didn’t surprise you when you couldn’t even reach the latter. The younger boy was quite reckless and he was even worse than your dad when it came down to responsibilities.

Like father, like son.

You sighed as you stared at the mansion.  You stood for about a minute in the front garden- admiring the many plants and flowers.  You envied Dawook’s family. Dawook even took good care of his garden. Damn. Dawook was actually the father you wanted to have. He was someone who put almost all of his energy in his family. He was a kind-hearted man who never spoke with harsh words- the total opposite of your own father. To be honest, you couldn’t even remember the last time your dad hadn’t used his cold, stern, emotionless voice.

You shrugged and decided to enjoy the evening- sulking in your problems wasn’t going to help you, nor the people waiting for you in the mansion.

You stepped up the porch with a fast beating heart. Your hand trembled as you rang the doorbell. You frowned when you felt like you had been waiting for too long. Just when you were about to rang the bell again- you heard some movement behind the door.

It didn’t take a second before the door was opened, you automatically took a step back while staring straight into the eyes of a younger boy- an exact replica of Dawook when it came down to his looks. He wore shorts and  a matching V-neck. His dark hair was disheveled and his eyes- damned those scary eyes, were shooting daggers at you. You were actually intimated by his stone-cold appearance.

Everything- except for his scary eyes, is like Dawook.

 

You decided to speak up first since he wasn’t going to greet you anytime soon.

‘’ Hi, my name is Hyejin. I was invited for dinner.’’

‘’ I know.’’ He bluntly answered while intensifying his glare (you honestly had no idea how he managed to do that).

You frowned and kept quiet. So, was he going to let you in? Or were you supposed to wait in front of the door? Did this kid expect you to eat in the front garden? The look he was giving you was so intensely hostile that you actually expected people to jump out of the bushes any moment now and start preparing chairs and tables for you to sit on.

Yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter