Prologue

The White Wolf and the Moon

A scream could be heard in the dead of night as a woman was going through the worst possible pain. Child birth. The woman was known to the people as the Goddess of the Moon, Luna, but amongst her peers, she was known as Kan Miyeon.She knew what she had done and she knew she had to take responsibility. But she had other responsibilities to take into account. And a child wasn’t something she had planned to happen. It just did.

 

As she laid there in a cave out of sight and gave birth to half human, half deity. She thought about what to do with the child, but her thoughts were cut short when she heard the cries of the said child. Miyeon changed her position to have a look at the child, she marveled at the beauty of it. It was a girl, and even if Miyeon couldn’t take it back to the realm of the Gods, she would still give her a name and give her to a family, worthy enough to take care of her. It was the least she could do.

 

When she had made up her mind she wrapped the girl in a shawl and left the cave. Miyeon searched the whole night and she finally found a place for her girl. She laid the bundle on the doorstep, kissed her head and was about to knock on the door when she remembered. Her necklace, it was a Safire blue crystal, craved to look like a crescent moon. She removed it from her own neck and placed it around her child’s neck. Then she knocked on the door and vanished into the night.

 

The door opened and a man looked around for the person who knocked when he heard a sound from under him. He looked down and saw a moving bundle. He bent down and removed the part of the shawl that was covering her face, he was shocked at what he saw. A baby, a newborn baby girl. He picked her up and noticed a note attached to her.

 

“Yeosul, the child born under the Moon”

 

“So, your name is Yeosul, huh?” the man said and smiled at the girl and her cheeks with his finger. Yeosul giggled and grabbed a hold the man’s finger. The man laughed and went inside. In the shadows Miyeon could be seen smiling. ‘At least, you’ll have a wonderful life, my Yeosul,’ then she vanished.

 


 

At the age of five Yeosul was a hyper child, always on the run and unable to be still for more than ten minutes. Now she was running from her father, the man who found her five years ago. His name, Park Jinyoung, the emperor of Rome. They were playing chase and so far, Yeosul was winning. Her older sister, Gina was watching them with a grin on her face. She had never seen her father like that, not even with her younger brother. Yeosul’s laugher filled the room as Jinyoung caught her.

 

“Got you!” he said and lifted her high. Yeosul smiled wide and stretched her arms even higher.

 

“Daddy!” she shouted and Jinyoung spun around, Yeosul squealed in glee.

 

“Dad,” Gina said, getting their attention, “it’s time for Yeosul to go to bed. I’ll take her,” she finished with a smile and carried Yeosul to the room.

 

“Gina?” Yeosul asked as Gina laid her in her bed.

 

“Yes, Yeosul?” Gina asked.

 

“Where is Rain?” Yeosul hadn’t seen her older brother around the whole day.

 

“Rain has been training today,” Gina answered she kissed her head, whispered good night and went out the door.

 


 

At ten years Rain has been spending more time with Yeosul for the past years and Gina couldn’t help but feel that something wasn’t right about it. Gina has been shadowing Rain when he’s alone with Yeosul. He’s too close to her, for Ginas liking. Gina worries about Yeosul’s safety and is now seen talking to one of the palace guards, Hongbin.

 

“I worry about Yeosul lately,” Gina said to him.

 

“Your Highness?” Hongbin wondered.

 

“Can you look out for her?” Gina asked. “And keep her safe, at all times.”

 

“Yes your Highness,” Hongbin bowed and went to look for Yeosul. When he found her he took her away from Rain and led her to her room, the excuse of it being late, being the only thing he could say when he saw Rains furious eyes. But even with that, Rain still continued getting closer to her, no matter what Hongbin did.

 


 

At the age of 15 Yeosul has been having dreams of a woman in white.

 

Yeosul was standing in a field of white flowers, it was a little wind. Making the flowers seem like they were dancing. Yeosul started dancing with the flowers, a huge smile adorning her face. She stopped dancing when she saw a woman’s figure. She was wearing a silver dress, her hair was short with a fringe, to the end of her chin and it was white. Her eyes were dancing in joy and her lips were a soft pink, they were stretched into a smile.

 

Yeosul ran to her and stopped when there was a two meter distance between them. She asked who the woman was and why she seemed so familiar.

 

“I am someone from you past,” she answered.

 

“From my past?” Yeosul asked.

 

“Yes,” the woman answered, “my name is Kan Miyeon, but I am known by most with the name Luna.”

 

“Luna,” Yeosul wondered out loud. “The Moon Goddess?” Miyeon nodded her head, and with a smile she said: “And your birthmother.”

 

Yeosul woke up with a start. Miyeon’s word echoing in her head like a mantra. ‘My mother…?’

 


 

At the age of 18, Yeosul has been having dreams again, but this time about a man in white.

 

“Hyuk!” Yeosul shouted for her best friend as she was running around looking for him

 

“Yes?” he appeared from around the next corner.

 

“I’ve dreamt about the white haired man again tonight,” she said as they were walking down the hall towards her room.

 

“Oh? What was it about then?” Hyuk asked.

 

“It’s always the same,” she answered with a role of her eyes, “I see him fight and we lock eyes and he smirks at me and then!” she snaps her fingers, “I wake up.” Hyuk nodded his head and listened. “You know what, Hyuk?”

 

“No, what?” he asks.

 

“I think it’s a sign,” she says, Hyuk looks at her shocked. “A sign?” he asks. Yeosul nods her head and confirms it. They talk more about her dreams and they don’t notice Rain shadowing them. He has a frown on his face and doesn’t like the thought of another man in Yeosul’s dreams. He clenched his fists and storms away in the opposite direction.

 

The next day Jinyoung had taken them all to the Colosseum to watch the gladiator fights. They had been there for a while and then she saw him. The man of her dreams! He was there, right in front of her. He was real! The way he moved when he was swinging the sword, it was like he was hypnotizing her. When the white haired man finished off his opponent, he looked up at the tribunes and his eyes found hers. Yeosul could feel her cheeks redden, then he smirked and disappeared under the arena. Her eyes followed him until he was out of sight.