6

Identity Crisis

 

For the next few weeks, Tiffany and Sooyeon had been seeing each other quite often. They completely forgot about the contracts, the paper signing and the deals to be made. Tiffany let all that paperwork pile down on top of her desk. She didn’t want to finish this deal with her client; she wanted to let the client forget about the deal so that she could be with her as long as she wanted. There was no deadline to this, so let’s just take our time.

 

Sooyeon would bring up the topic about the stocks every now and then, but she gave up since she wanted to forget about business. Her contacts would call her from time to time, asking about the progress of her work. They would often call during the days she’d have with Tiffany. She was frequently on the phone, arguing with the other person on the line.

 

“No, I’m sorry, I can’t do that right now. You know I’m serious when it comes to business. Just let me be for now, okay?” She almost came close to yelling.

 

“Who are you talking to?” Tiffany starts to get worried.

 

“W-what? Oh, uh. They’re just some of my business partners.” She turns back on the phone. “To be honest, I considered aborting this proposition of yours. I regret taking part of it. You know I’m tired of this. I’ve had enough.” She clenches her fist to stop her from banging the table because of her anger.

 

“Yeonnie, chill.” Tiffany rubs her back to soothe the woman. SooYeon calmed down when she heard Tiffany’s term of endearment for her. Yeonnie, sounds adorable. Tiffany was the only one calling her that name. Ever since they saw each other, she would call her cute nicknames. In return, she would also call her ‘Fany’ from time to time as well.

 

“I can’t do this anymore. I’m sorry, I won’t do it, I can’t. Good bye.” Sooyeon hangs up on her caller.

“What was that?” Sooyeon almost drops her phone from Tiffany’s sudden question. She knew she had to explain herself, but she really didn’t want to get Tiffany into this.

 

“My business partner was getting on my nerves. Don’t mind that. Let’s just enjoy another day together.” Tiffany knew Sooyeon was talking about serious matters on the phone. She wanted to ask, but she didn’t go through with it. She knew that every personal question she’d ask to her would be simply shrugged off, switched to a different topic, avoided. She got tired of asking, so she just let her be. I’ll let you explain things when you’re ready, Tiffany thinks to herself.

 

Just like their nice weekend together, the weeks that passed by were no different. They spent as much time as they could, during Tiffany’s free times from the office. The company didn’t in her personal affairs; they knew they weren’t in the position to stop the CEO slash owner from seeing anyone. They just firmly stood by her side, remaining their overprotective stance over her. Sunny was the number one bodyguard. She would often warn Tiffany to keep cautious, just like this morning.

 

---


“Miss Hwang, I know you’re getting really close with Miss Jung. I just want to say that you should be careful. We haven’t got to know her that much yet. Please take care of yourself. We’ll be here for you always. I’ve constantly reminded the bodyguards to never let you out of their sight when you go out with her.”

 

“Don’t worry; I know how to take care of myself. She’s not a harmful person. She takes care of me, unnie. Thank you for being thoughtful but don’t stress yourself too much. Like I said, you need to take a day off once in a while. It’s not like she’s going to assassinate me or anything so please calm down.”

 

“I feel that she won’t harm you but I just want you to still be cautious. We care for you. I care for you. And as your personal assistant, I’ll be here whenever you have problems, okay? Please don’t hesitate to call me if anything’s wrong. Or if..”

 

Tiffany knew what Sunny was going to say next. She knew it the moment she saw Sunny’s serious expression.

 

“I won’t let that happen again, to myself and to this company. I won’t get kidnapped. I’ll have the bodyguards with me at all times. But please tell them to be discreet this time? I don’t want a herd of men in tuxedos following us around on our leisure walks like last week, when we went to Han River.”

 

“I understand. I’ll fix that. Remember what I said okay, Miss Hwang?”

 

“I will. Thank you, Sunny. You’ll always be someone I can count on.” Tiffany gives Sunny a warm smile before she heads on towards the elevator, ready for another ‘date’ with Sooyeon.

 

---

 

They went to Lotte World. Since it was a weekday, there were fewer people. The lines on the rides weren’t that long, so they were able to maximize the whole park. It was a day that unleashed both of their inner childish dreams. Tiffany was never able to fully enjoy the rides on every theme park she went to, her parents would become overprotective of her and just let her sit out the whole day, eating cotton candy.

 

Sooyeon told Tiffany that she never went to a theme park before. It baffled Tiffany, but she guessed maybe her family just wasn’t the outdoorsy type and preferred more productive and physically challenging activities.

 

“We better get going now. Come on, I’ll take you home. I’m sure your bodyguards wouldn’t mind me fetching you to your house safely. They’ll be following us around, eventually, as we turn to a curb or so.”


“I know, they can get a little irritating sometimes. But I’m used to them following me around wherever I go; it’s a staple since I’m in a high position. Considering the alarming situations we’ve encountered in the past.”

 

They ran towards the parking lot. Sooyeon opens the passenger door for Tiffany. As soon as Tiffany’s seated comfortably, she closes the door and scoots over to the driver side and fastens her seatbelt. The humming sound of the engine’s purr signals their departure from the theme park.

 

“Let’s go then.”

 

---

 

“Would you like to come inside? It’s past midnight, you know. I’ll make you a cup of coffee.”

 

“Sure, I do want to freshen up a bit. I wouldn’t want to fall asleep while driving”, she laughs as she goes inside.

 

They had another exchange of random topics. Although it was in the wee hours in the morning, it seemed like their conversation was just warming up. They talked for hours until Tiffany looked up at her wall clock. 2:00AM.

 

“Hey, you should go now. It’s pretty late.”

 

“Wow, I haven’t noticed the time. Okay, I’ll just get put this mug on your sink and I’ll be on my way.”

“Nonsense, just leave it there on the table.”
Sooyeon was her guest, after all. But Sooyeon didn’t want to seem like a freeloader.

 

“But I insist”, she says as she stands from the couch and makes her way towards the kitchen sink. Tiffany stands and tries to stop her by holding her wrist.

 

The mug almost falls, which makes them both panic and reach for the mug quickly taking gravity’s effect on it. They both grab hold of the mug on one’s knee, only to find themselves very close to each other, having only an inch of space between them.

 

They stared into each other’s eyes. A few seconds of silence pass by. The silence wasn’t an awkward one, odd enough. But it was a heated and tense moment, yes, very.

 

They could feel each other’s breath getting deeper and deeper as they unconsciously started to close the gap. Both knew what the other wanted, and they were willing to give it a try. In that moment, they felt a sudden static of electricity between them. It wasn’t a literal electric shock that jolted volts among them; it was a feeling of a connection.

 

It was a feeling unlike any other.

 

For a brief moment, they forgot about everything, all their problems, and anxieties.

 

All that mattered to each was the person in front of them.

 

And they couldn’t care less about the troubles they had or they could have.

 

They could’ve sworn they felt complete.