1

Identity Crisis

 

She checks her appearance on the compact mirror of her powder one last time.

 

She gives her hair a few with a brush.

 

She makes sure all her certificates and pictures with dignitaries are put up on her cabinet neatly, within reach, and clearly visible from any point of view.


She tidies up her desk and glances at her room one last time before her scheduled appointment begins.

 

This wasn’t an appointment like any other. This was an appointment with Jung Sooyeon. Yes, THE Jung Sooyeon.

 

Today, she was determined to get a good deal with her new client. She aimed to convince the client to invest at any project of their company, the corporation she was working for. She was determined to impress the client. She wanted to show her how prosperous this company has been under her command as the CEO slash owner of SN Corporation and Affiliates.

 

She wanted to show Jung Sooyeon, her former lover, that she has made quite an improvement in her life.

 

From her peripheral vision, she could see the black wall clock.

 

9:45.

 

15 minutes to go.

 

This was going to be one hell of a meeting, she thought. It has been four solid years since they’ve seen each other, after all. Ever since they broke up during senior year in college, they lost contact with one another and have not bothered to do so. It was a hurtful separation for her. Tiffany was devastated. All the plans, internship arrangements, job interviews, and scholarship grant offers, included her in the list. Sooyeon was her top priority in life. She tried her best to keep her and Sooyeon to be together no matter what after they graduate. Tiffany wanted to keep their promise of forever.

 

But unfortunately, Sooyeon fell out of love as they got busy in the last few months of senior year. During those times, she felt suffocated by Tiffany. Although she loved her dearly, Sooyeon just couldn’t seem to shake off that feeling that she’s better off single, free, and open for all the opportunities in store for her after college. She didn’t work her off studying Marketing Management for nothing. She wanted to make a name for herself; she wanted to build an empire. Her hopes and dreams didn’t include Tiffany in, though. So she broke up with her during graduation day, right after the ceremony. It was the same day Tiffany was about to tell her that she was moving out of her parents’ home and buy a condominium in the city to share with her.

 

It was a pretty bad call for a break-up. Yes, Sooyeon broke up with her via phone call, when they got home from the graduation party. Things ended up pretty badly, as foreseen.

 

B E E P .

 

A red light flickers on her intercom.

 

“Miss Hwang, the client has arrived in the lobby. Would you like me to send in any beverage for you and your guest?”

 

“No, that won’t be necessary. Send her in.”

 

“Okay, ma’am. I directed the client to your office. She’s being assisted by the guards. She’ll be there in a while.”

 

“Oh, and by the way, Sunny. We’ll be talking about private matters for the company. Please tell the others to vacate the floor. I don’t want anyone snooping around like last time, like the spy from our rival company, YJ Enterprises.”

 

“Will do so immediately.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

Tiffany shuts off the intercom and glanced up to her giant black wall clock.

 

10:00.

 

 It’s show time.