Surprise

Not Like the Movies

Baekhyun had been wandering in the rain for hours now. His phone had been ringing like crazy, but the small boy chose to ignore it. The sound of rain made him feel at ease for some reason, and getting soaked in it was a bonus for him. The whole thing made him calm in some way. When fatigue finally ate him up, he decided to rest at the nearest park bench he could find. His whole body was soaking wet. His backpack was drenched, but his belongings were safe for some odd reason. Lucky, he thought.

As soon as he sat down, the events earlier suddenly played in his mind. Regret was all he felt. He shouldn't done it, he shouldn't have confessed. All of it was all in his mind.

Why was I even expecting something good out of this? I feel so stupid. He thought, shaking his head.

He was straight, stupid. Why did I even misunderstand his actions towards me? Tears started to stream down Baekhyun’s face, but the rain covered it up for him.

(Six hours ago)

Baekhyun had been waiting for this day, the day he would finally confess to his best friend.  He thought about this very hard, and well, maybe it was time to finally know what Chanyeol felt about him.

“Hey, Baekhyun, feeling excited?”

He felt grateful for having friends like Sungjong. The feminine looking boy always gave good advice, which he was very grateful for. Then, there was Kyungsoo. The one who comforted him whenever he was down. Plus, the boy made him laugh by not even doing anything.

“Hey, Baek, where do I hang this?”

“Oh, over there please. Thanks, hyung.” Myungsoo nodded and went to the said direction.

Baekhyun somehow envied his friends. Myungsoo and Sungjong’s relationship was very ideal. They rarely fought; they acted like best friends, and there was no jealousy whatsoever. Although, he sometimes thought if a relationship like that was healthy.

Jongin and Kyungsoo’s relationship wasn’t perfect. They would argue almost every day because of their difference in their ideals and point of views. His best friend wasn't a person to back down, but at the end of the day, they would make-up.

Baekhyun suddenly felt nervous.

‘What if Chanyeol rejects me?’ The small boy shook his head and decided to stay positive.

“You feeling okay?” Kyungsoo suddenly asked. He nodded and took a deep breath. “It’ll be fine, Baekhyun. He’ll say yes.”

Even with those reassuring words, he was still nervous. He felt a little different today, like something wrong was going to happen. But, who wouldn't be nervous? He was about to confess to his best friend for years.

What could possibly go wrong?

After hours of preparation, they finally finished just in time for the surprise party. Their common friends were already there, the food was already cooked and the drinks were already set up. The only person missing was Chanyeol. He stood nervously by the kitchen, as the others were the ones who stayed and looked out.

“He’ll be home any minute, hyung.” He could feel Junhong's excitement. Actually, he could feel everyone's excitement. "I'm happy for you."

“I know, Junhong, and it’s killing me right now.”

“I see his car!”

And that was the cue, everyone went back to their assigned places. He took a deep breath. This was it, the moment he was waiting for.

“Hello?”

As soon as the front door opened, the party poppers were used and everyone shouted the same thing.

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CHANYEOL!”

“Hey, Chanyeol! Happy Birthday!” Sungjong shouted as he smiled. Chanyeol smiled back and gave him a hug.

“Hey, Channie! Happy Birthday!” Kyungsoo jumped on him.

“Hey man, happy birthday.” Jongin casually said.

“You’re one lucky dude.”

“Where’s Baekhyun?”

And that was his cue to enter. The light dimmed as the music started. He walked out of the kitchen, slowly walking towards Chanyeol. He sagng with all his heart and he wished his best friend felt it, too. People moved aside as he inched closer, closer, and closer, until he was only inches away from his best friend. When he finished singing, he was wrapped around the tall boy's arms.

 

“Happy birthday, Yeol."

“I knew it" Chanyeol said. "I knew you were the one behind all of these. Thanks, Baek"

“Chanyeol, I...I love you"

“I love you, too, Baekhyun.”

“R-r-really?”

“Of course, Baek." Chanyeol draped an arm around shoulder. "You’re my best friend.”

“No, Chanyeol, I love you more than that.”

“What do you mean, Baek?"

“I mean-” 

He didn't get to finish what he was saying because the front door suddenly opened. It was loud enough to break the silence in the room. As far as he remembered, wasn't expecting anymore guests.

“H-Hello?” The girl stuttered as she asked. “C-chanyeol?”

“Oh, Sooyoung!”  Chanyeol took the girl's hand with a big smile plastered on his face. “So, Baekhyun, I’d like you to meet Sooyoung.” 

“Hello Sooyoung."

“H-H-hello Baekhyun.”

“She’s my girlfriend, Baek.”

“Excuse me?”

“She’s my girlfriend.”

He couldn't say anything. He didn't know what to say. All he could do was acknowledge the fact that she was Chanyeol's girlfriend. But he had a hard time accepting it. This was supposed to be his day, this was supposed to be the right time.

“Well, I’ll go introduce her to the others. Talk to you later okay?” Chanyeol said merrily. He was about to leave with Sooyoung when a hand gripped on his arm.

“I love you, Chanyeol.” Baekhyun said.

“I know, Baekhyun, and I love you too. You’re my-.”

“Don’t say that dammit!”

He didn't meant to shout, but everything was just happening so fast that he didn't know what to do.

“Baekhyun, what’s-”

“I think you should walk along, Chanyeol, we’ll handle this okay?”

He was dragged away by Kyungsoo and Sungjong, while Myungsoo and Jongin tried their best to cover this up to Chanyeol.

Baekhyun shook his head, stopping himself. There was no point in dwelling with this. Who was he kidding anyways? Chanyeol wasn't gay, or was in love with Baekhyun. He misunderstood all of his best friend's actions towards him.

Who was I kidding that Chanyeol would like me? Or even say that he was gay in the first place?

The others might be worried about him. He removed his backpack and took his phone out. He tapped the screen and searched for Sungjong's number.

“Hello?”

“Sungjong...”

“Baekhyun? Where the hell are you? We've been worried sick!”

He could alreadt imagine the worried look on Sungjong's face as the boy shouted. He just allowed his best friend to talk until he was calm.

“I’m here at the park, can you please fetch me?”

“Don’t dare move! We’re not far from you. Give us 10 minutes.”

“Okay, thank you.”

He looked at the phone's notifications. The phone's battery was almost drained because of the numerous phone calls and messages.

10 missed calls from Sungjong

8 from Kyungsoo

3 from Zelo

2 from Jongin

3 for Myungsoo

But then Baekhyun noticed something.

1 from Chanyeol

Seeing his best friend's name made him a bit glad, but it was suddenly changed with sadness.

I can never be the same Baekhyun around you, Chanyeol.

 

 

 

 

 

So here's the first chapter. Actually, the secone chapter i longer than this. Lol, so basically, I would be showing more flashbacks!! I have a lot of them! Lol, so please leave your comments okay? I love you guys!

PS, I hope you guys watched EXO's Wolf Drama Version MV!!! And Infinite would be coming back tomorrow!!! <3 So much feels!!!

Song for the day is Baby Don't cry by EXO! <3