Chapter 1

A Beautiful Mess

 

 

The sky was just turning dark as dusk approached, making the amber colored lights that surrounded the field suddenly pop on with a static buzz.

 

Kangin bent over at his waist, panting as he watched Donghae dribble the ball down the field and finally shoot it, making his umpteenth goal for the evening.

 

“All right. All right. I quit!” said Kangin with an exhausted laugh as he threw his hands in the air. “I can’t believe I even agreed to play this stupid game with you!”

 

Donghae fetched his ball and jogged over to Kangin with a smile.

 

“Oh come on hyung, just ten more minutes! I promise I’ll let you get a few shots in,” he pleaded as he bounced the ball in the curve of his foot.

 

“No way. I mean look at you. Why the hell did you decide to become a singer again? I knew I wasn’t great at soccer,  but this was damn embarrassing,” said Kangin motioning to Donghae who had yet to stop playing with the ball. “Find some one your own speed!”

 

Donghae finally relented and caught the ball in the air with his hands.

 

“Okay hyung,” laughed Donghae, “I’ll stop torturing you now, we can go back to the dorms.”

 

“Oh G-d, thank you!” said Kangin raising his clasped hands to the sky.

 

“So ah, what was the score again hyung? My memory is a little rusty,” said Donghae scratching his head.

 

“Ten to zero, twenty to zero, 100 to zero, who’s cares. You won, you are Mokpo’s soccer sensation, Lee Donghae, and I’m hungry and tired, so let’s go!” said Kangin shoving the laughing Donghae in the direction of the car.

 

As Donghae threw his duffle bag into the backseat of Kangin’s car he still had a giant smile plastered on his face.

 

Kangin glanced over the hood of the car and shook his head.

 

“You know, you can wipe that smile off your face now, the game is over,” said Kangin with a smirk.

 

“Don’t tell me you're still bitter hyung. I mean you can’t be too hard on yourself, you are getting pretty old these days,” he said with a laugh as he got into the passengers seat.

 

“Yah!” said Kangin ruffling Donghae’s hair playfully when he sat beside him. “Just remember I’m still bigger than you! Next time we’re playing basketball. I have height on my side, so just try and beat me dongsaeng!

 

Donghae smiled happily, leaning his head back as Kangin started the car. He loved spending time with Kangin, something they hadn’t been able to do for a while. Since Leeteuk was gone, Kangin had definitely stood in as his favorite older brother and his protector, while still being a friend, which Donghae truly appreciated.

 

“Hyung, can we listen to the radio?” asked Donghae leaning forward. “Your CDs choices are a little…outdated.”

 

“Yeah, you know I think I left my Dooley soundtrack in your car, so sure, feel free to find something more age appropriate,” said Kangin with a laugh.

 

“Yah!” Laughed Donghae as he began searching for a station that he liked.

 

“So Hae, are you excited for your weekend off?” asked Kangin with a sly smile.

 

“Sure, I guess. Why?” asked Donghae innocently as he sat back and looked at Kangin.

 

“I figured you’d be more eager than the rest of us. Hyuk told me about your plans,” Kangin said nudging Donghae’s leg.

 

“Aw hyung, really?! Hyukkie’s the one that can’t stop talking about it. We’re just going to a pension. Nothing special,” said Donghae shaking his head.

 

“Nothing special?! Since when is a night with the two of you nothing special? It might be just another night for you, but we’ll all just be glad to get a couple nights peace and quiet without hearing you two trying to break the sound barrier.”

 

“Aish! Hyung it’s not going to be like that!” said Donghae blushing fiercely.

 

“Well it better be, don’t tell me you're going away just to go hiking and cook meat?!” laughed Kangin.

 

As they continued their banter back and forth, the DJ on the radio program Donghae had found suddenly interrupted them.

 

“All right, I’ve got some hot news guys! Maybe you’ve heard this today, maybe you haven’t. But currently buzzing through the KPOP world right now is the wedding announcement of Super Junior’s Eunhyuk and IU. Many of you know that sources have pinned the two artists together multiple times especially after that racy photo of the two leaked out on IU’s twitter account. As of now neither artists nor their companies have released a statement neither confirming or denying these allegations. According to the source that leaked this information the date is set for this October 15th. So, what do you guys think? Will we soon have another idol couple heading down the aisle or is this just another angry netizen trying to add fuel to the already  burning fire of scandal surrounding these two? Log on to our website and let us know what you think—

 

Kangin quickly hurried to turn the radio off, but it was too late.

 

He pulled into the parking lot of a nearby gas station and shut the car off.

 

Donghae sat silent, looking down into his lap.

 

“Donghae...you know better than I do…these things are said just to get a rise out of people. It’s just lies…you know that, right?” he asked gently as he rubbed Donghae’s shoulder.

 

Donghae was still quiet as turned to look out the window. He didn’t want Kangin to see the tears that were welling up in his eyes. He propped his elbow up against the window and buried his face into his fist.

 

Kangin saw the tension rising in his body through the clenching and unclenching of his free fist.

 

“Donghae-ah, don’t get all worked up over this. You know Hyukjae would never be getting married to her, so just forget you even heard it. …I’m sure…I’m sure it’s just one big misunderstanding­­­­­­­-

 

Donghae unbuckled his seat belt and angrily got out of the car, slamming it shut behind him.

 

His body seething, he walked a few paces away before turning back and leaning his head on the car. As Kangin also got out, Donghae slammed his fist twice as hard as he could on the hood of the car with a loud bang.

 

Quickly looking up, he saw the dimple he had left in Kangin’s hood.

 

“Oh my G-d! I-I’m-I’m sorry hyung, I just—I don’t…,” Donghae tried to put his thoughts together as he ran his hands through his hair.

 

“Donghae, Donghae, it’s okay, I don’t care about this,” said Kangin touching the car. “What I care about right now is you, and I don’t want you to hurt yourself over nonsense.”

 

“Why is he—how could he just…why is this happening?” asked Donghae, his eyes beginning to tear up again.

 

Kangin placed both of his hands on Donghae’s cheeks.

 

“Hae, listen to me. It’s a rumor. That’s all it is. Just some silly fan trying to start controversy. You know better than to pay attention to things like this.”

 

“But it’s her hyung. Every time I think I’m over it…something like this happens. I mean, what am I supposed to do? They're making a fool out me and I’m just sick and tired of being lied to. Last time with the photo…I felt like I died…seeing them so close…the looks on their faces… now marriage? And on my birthday?!” Said Donghae finally breaking down.

 

Kangin pulled Donghae close to him, embracing him tightly, not caring what anyone passing by thought.

 

“None of this would happen if we could just tell people! If they could know how things really were between him and me, they would stop all of this! Do you think that’s it? Maybe he’s just tired of hiding from everyone so he went to find someone he could love out in the open?” sobbed Donghae.

 

“G-d no! Donghae, none of this is true! Hyuk loves you and you know that! He’s not ashamed of you! I’m just…I’m so sorry you had to hear this Hae. But don’t worry, I’m here, hyung is here. You're not alone right now okay? So stop crying. Everything will be fine, I promise,” said Kangin gently, his own voice breaking from seeing Donghae in pain like this.

 

He sighed as he the back of Donghae’s soft hair. He couldn’t believe this was happening again. He and everyone else knew that Eunhyuk and IU had a type of close working relationship but no one quite understood why. He just prayed that there was an easy answer to this mess.

 

Donghae slowly pulled away and wiped at his red eyes.

 

“Look, let’s not go back to the dorm. How about the two of us go get something to eat?” asked Kangin with a small smile.

 

“I don’t know hyung,” said Donghae softly.

 

“Come on, have some soondae with me. You always promised, why not now? You wouldn’t make me eat alone now would you?” he asked shaking Donghae’s shoulders.

 

After a few quiet moments Donghae finally gave a gentle nod, “Okay hyung.”

 

“Great!” said Kangin with a smile and he put his arm around Donghae’s shoulders and pulled him close again. “I know the perfect place. They know how to make it just the way I like. You’ll love it, trust me.”

 

Donghae nodded again as Kangin led him back to the car.

 

When they arrived at the restaurant, Donghae barely even said hello to the tiny ahjummas who led him and Kangin to their table.

 

Kangin ordered for the both of them as Donghae put his elbows on the table and leaned his head on his fists.

 

His face remained vacant as their side dishes and bowls of soup where placed before them, something that didn’t go unnoticed by Kangin.

 

“So I was thinking, if I continue to be your soccer punching bag for, I don’t know, maybe a couple of years, I might actually develop some skills of my own,” Kangin said with a small laugh.

 

He sighed as Donghae picked up his spoon and placed it in his soup bowl, swirling the liquid around, almost as if he hadn’t heard Kangin speak.

 

“I’ve been working on my tennis game with Siwonnie and I’ve actually gotten really good. We’ll have to go out sometime and then I’ll show you you're not the only athlete in the dorm.”

 

Donghae brushed his thumb across his nose, sniffling as he sat back, seeing the ahjumma coming to bring them water.

 

Kangin knew in an instant that meant Donghae was close to losing his composure again.

 

“Hae, you…you have to try and not think about it, okay? Until you can talk to him, just keep going on your life,” said Kangin in a hushed tone.

 

Donghae nodded at him with hurt eyes, his bottom lip trembling.

 

Just as he was trying to perk up a little, ‘You & I’ started playing on the stereo in the corner of the restaurant.

 

The bit of strength he had mustered quickly deflated when he recognized the song.

 

“Hae,” said Kangin reaching across the table to grab Donghae’s arm. “Don’t—

 

Before Kangin could continue, Donghae jerked his arm away and rushed out of the restaurant.

 

“Donghae!” called Kangin following after him.

 

When he burst out of the restaurant’s front door he saw Donghae crouched against the side of the building, his head thrown back against the wall, and his eyes squinted shut as his chest heaved up and down.

 

“Hae—

 

“She’s everywhere...just taunting me! I’m sorry hyung, but I couldn’t stay and listen to it,” said Donghae shaking his head as more and more tears cascaded down his cheeks.

 

“I understand,” said Kangin bending down in front of him. “But you can’t spend the rest of your life running from place to place, trying to escape this.”

 

Just then, Kangin’s phone started ringing.

 

“Hold on a minute Hae. Hello?”

 

“Kangin-ah, did you hear?” asked Leeteuk with a panicked voice.

 

“Uh, yeah, if you're referring to what I think you are,” he said softly.

 

“Are you with Donghae now? I keep trying to call him but I think he turned his phone off.”

 

“Yeah, we’re together now,” said Kangin rising.

 

“I can’t believe this is happening again. My poor little dongsaeng. I tried to get in contact with Eunhyukkie, but I think he’s still in the studio. How is Donghae taking it?”
 

“About as good as you would imagine,” said Kangin running his free hand through his hair.

 

“Can I talk to him, I’m sure he needs some encouragement,” sighed Leeteuk.

 

“I don’t think that’s such a good idea Teuk,” said Kangin glancing back at Donghae.

 

“What? Why? He’s my dongsaeng Kangin-ah, it’s my responsibility to take care of him—

 

“Well he’s mine too and I don’t think the best way for him to deal with this right now is to have everyone throwing it back into his face, no matter how good their intentions are Teuk. He needs to talk to Hyukjae, and until that happens I think he needs to clear his head from the anger and hurt he’s feeling,” said Kangin in as hushed a voice as possible.

 

“I guess you're right,” Leeteuk relented. “Just make sure that if he does want to talk about it that you're supportive, okay?”

 

“Of course Teuk, I’m not a caveman,” said Kangin with a small laugh.

 

“I just hope Hyuk can fix this one himself,” said Leeteuk softly.

 

“Me too,” said Kangin turning around at the sound of Donghae standing, “all right Teuk, I gotta go.”

 

“Okay, take care of him.”

 

“I’ll do my best.”

 

When Kangin hung up he saw Donghae shove his hands in his pockets.

 

“Can you take me home now, hyung?” he croaked out looking down at his feet.

 

“What about dinner?” asked Kangin motioning towards the restaurant.

 

“I’m not hungry. If you want to stay I can get a taxi,” he said walking towards the street.

 

“No, wait! I’ll take you,” said Kangin patting his shorts for his keys.