02. This is Present

Past, Present, Future

 

 

Kyungsoo stared at his phone in disbelief. How could he have forgotten such an obvious answer! Saebyuk-jib! The one that SM idols went so often. He then sighed in realization that it must’ve been a really long time ago since they went to went out together.

 

In his case, eat out at all. He has been so busy with trying to manage his restaurant. Technically, it wasn’t his. It was his brother’s restaurant opened a few years ago when he was still busy with the schedules. When his brother got married and EXO’s schedules were lessening, the restaurant became a burden to his brother and so he was offered the job to manage and take care of it. After dealing with his brother it turns out he would get a 50:50 share of the profit. He was happy with that, at that time.

 

Now actually doing the job he found out that it should be 70:30. He was doing most of the job, and that left him unhappy. His brother decided that it was time to come back into the business after 3 years, his brother stepped in and helped him lift the load. This left Kyungsoo with half the job he used to have and he felt like he had nothing to do. Being a singer, he decided to go back to SM and coach. Not a full time job but he was much happier being able to sing again. A few months of going in and out of SM building once again, he met her arguing with a guard in front of SM building about the parking lot. She wasn’t what he thought the-one would be like. She wasn’t especially beautiful but she was special to him. Fast forward time, after 6 months of knowing her they got together and 2 years and a half of dating he proposed to her.

 

Now they were getting married in 5 months. He was busier than ever. He didn’t know why he had agreed to Jongdae to invite the K members.

 

So many things have happened within the years. We’ve all changed so much and to think that our job started when we were only about 20. It’s so fast.

 

Being the –Soo of the so-called ‘KaiSoo’, he dialed Jongin’s number. After 2 tries and failing twice, he decided to try again this time it answered after the 4th ring.

 

“Yahh… What.” The other side of the line answered in a muffled tone. It was quite obvious that Kyungsoo had woken his friend up.

 

“What, you Kim Jongin! It’s already 11! Why aren’t you up yet? You have lessons to teach, you know!” Old habits never die. Kyungsoo was still the nagging ‘Umma’ and Jongin was still the sleepy head of EXO-K.

 

“Shut up. Just tell me. What is it?” his dark(er)-skinned friend pushed him for an answer.

“Yah, I haven’t talked to you in weeks and this is what you say to me? Aish, so much for KaiSoo.” He continued nagging, pushing Jongin to his limits.

“Tell me or I’m gonna go shower.” Jongin got up from his bed, walking to his closet.

“Fine, you know the anniversary is comin-” Kyungsoo hasn’t finished his sentence yet only to be cut by a voice from the other line.

“Jongin oppa, you getting up already? Come back to bed, I’m still sleepy.” It was a woman’s sleepy voice, this sent shivers down Kyungsoo’s spine.

“Yah, shut up I’m on the phone.” It wasn’t to Kyungsoo but to the woman.

“Oppa,” she said in a in an aegyo-filled voice; “we stayed up most the night though.”

“Would you just-” Jongin wasn’t able to finish his sentence before Kyungsoo decided he would just give his friend a reminder that he was there by clearing his throat.

“Oh yeah, sorry.” Turning back to the woman, Jongin shook her off him and commanded “Get dressed and go.” Jongin sighed.

“Well, well, wasn’t that cold?” Kyungsoo scoffed.

“But oppa-”

“Go, Minah!*” Jongin shouted, obviously annoyed.

 

“Wait, aren’t you with Yeongmi? Shin Yeongmi?*” Kyungsoo questioned his friend. From the end of the line he could hear the shuffling of clothes and a slam on the door.

 

Jongin sighed and turned his attention back to his friend. “Yeah, I’m dating her. So, what is it that you want to talk about? Anniversary thing?”

It was Kyungsoo’s turn to sigh but decided to let the matter slip.

“Yeah, the debut anniversary. This year it’s the 12th anniversary. Jongdae and I were thinking we could all meet up?” taking a small pause before continuing; “To be honest it was Jongdae’s idea but I’m helping.”

“Yeah, maybe. When, where?” was all Jongin replied.

“Where: Saebyuk-jib. Like how we used to. And as for the when: on our anniversary at 6:30. You going?”

“Um, yeah.”

 

Kyungsoo let out another heavy sigh. “What happened to the kid who used to be so charismatic on stage yet off-stage he’s so adokable? Huh, and what’s all this dating Yeongmi and sleeping with other woman? Jongin?”

 

“Just… Shut up. And you woke me up what do you expect? I’ll be grumpy.” Jongin hadn’t changed that much except that he has developed that player habit over the years. He was still the charismatic guy when music started but cute when he was himself. Though, the shyness disappeared and replaced with maturity. He was still the playful guy though, when he wasn’t half asleep, that is.

 

It was known within the music industry, but kept within, that Kim Jongin was a womanizer and never stayed with someone. Moving on one to another and changing woman like one would change their underwear (hopefully!). They all had hoped that when Jongin decided to choose Yeongmi that he would stop his stupid Casanova personality, but Kyungsoo guessed it was too much to ask for. At least for now.

 

I guess the JongMi couple won’t last then. He should find someone and stay with her soon, he’s already 31.

 

“Yeah so… See ya.” Kyungsoo said, then added jokingly; “And remember don’t get anyone pregnant!”

He knew fully well that Jongin wasn’t that irresponsible. He hoped at least.

The coffee skinned guy laughed “Yeah see you soon, and I won’t!” before both of them hung up.

Still looking at his phone, he could literally see his friend laughing with the famous smile. Kyungsoo still remembers that the first reality show in Korea.

What was it called again? Something idol… Daily… Weekly! Weekly Idol!

Their first reality show in Korea as OT12 was Weekly Idol*. The MC commented on Jongin’s smile saying that he should smile often, rather than frown, because he looks good with a smile. That was an undeniable fact that everyone knew.

 

Weekly Idol had finished airing many years ago, it was such a shame that they didn’t go on the show more than 4 times before it ended*.

 

Kyungsoo decided to move onto the next member he would invite. Seeing as most of the others were probably busy with their work he broadcasted the message to everyone.

 

It’s going to be 0408 soon in a few days!

I was hoping we all could meet up as 12. The last time we did was 2 years ago already!!

It went by fast didn’t it?

So, Saebyuk-jib on 08 at 6:30pm.

Coming?

 

And sent.

 

A few minutes after the message was sent, while Kyungsoo was whipping up something for lunch in his parent’s kitchen his phone started playing Bom Bom Bom by Roy Kim* from the living room. It was an old song, so old that it might’ve been forgotten but he loved the song and its uplifting melody so much.

 

“Yoboseyo?*

“Hey!” the other line greeted cheerfully.

 

“Oh Baek. It’s only you.” Kyungsoo greeted back plainly. Walking back into the kitchen, Kyungsoo continued cooking, holding up his phone between his ear and right shoulder. His head was tilted to the right and his shoulder was raised up in a slightly uncomfortable position.

 

“It’s only me? Yah, I’m the sunshine!” his Taurus signed friend whined.

“So, you coming?” Kyungsoo didn’t waste time, he really did not want to talk while cooking.

“Yah… So cold, but yeah I’m coming! Of course, don’t be ridiculous how can I miss such an important occasion?”

 

Another one ticked! Yes!

 

“I never said anything… Still as talkative as ever, eh? And assuming things.”

“Yeah, Baekhyun won’t change. Still the same as ever. I’m with Chanyeol. I’ll tell him too?” Kyungsoo could hear his friend beaming through his phone.

“Yeah, that’ll be great, thanks.” He smiled shifting the phone to the opposite side while finishing mincing the carrots, moving onto baby corns.

Three done, two to go.

BaekYeol, or ChanBaek, whatever you called it was still the same as ever. Some things just never change.

“No problem and assuming from the choppi-” a young male’s voice shouted from somewhere in Baekhyun’s line; “Baekhyun-ssi, Chanyeol-ssi*, we need you to standby. Now, please!”

“Go get ready for MCing. Talk to you later then.” He finished the corns and onions in an inhumane speed, scraping them all into the same plate as the carrots before putting them all in along with the rice he had steamed earlier, producing a sizzling sound as the vegetables made contact with the hot oil.

“Ahh… I miss your cooking! Okay bye, talk to you later.” Kyungsoo chuckled as he took his friend’s words as a compliment, meanwhile taking all the necessary ingredients out of it’s’ cupboard.

“Bye.”

“Bye.” They muttered their awkward repeated good-byes and both hung up.

 

Kyungsoo continued to cook in silent putting soy sauce into his fried rice. Only when he had finished when he realized that had whipped up a vegetarian version of the fried rice he was planning to make.

 

“Aish…” he groaned putting the plate onto the table. He’ll just stir-fry some pork with soy sauce.

Sighing he went back to the cupboard again this time careful to pick out everything.

 

“Can you make some for me?” A familiar female voice asked from the kitchen door.

Kyungsoo turned his head round and his eyes widened; “I thought you were in Busan?*

She was in a bright blue button up shirt and white trousers, and was leaning against the door frame casually. Just by looking at her you could see that she was obviously a few years younger than he was. She had merely passed her teenage years a few years ago.

 

“I just got back. Sick car ride… And I’m hungry. Please?” she whined walking into the kitchen hugging him from behind.

“Take mine, its vegetarian though.” He pointed towards the meal on the table.

 

“Ani, it’s fine. Thanks!” grinning she gave Kyungsoo a peck on his left cheek before releasing her hug to go get a pair of spoon and fork. Kyungsoo watched as she gobbled the fried rice up happily. In the sunlight, he could see something shining from her ring finger on her left hand. He smiled to himself, he had never expected he would be one of the first of the 12 to get married.

 

He turned his attention back to the ingredients choosing them carefully. He decided this time he’ll make his famous Kimchi Jjigae* and started by heating up the water.

Soon enough, not even half way through cooking his Kimchi Jjigae he heard spoon and fork clatter behind him as she finished her meal.

 

“That was amazing as always.” He felt small hands creep around his body again. “Thank you oppa. Thank you for everything, I know I’m such a burden sometimes but don’t mean to, I’m sorry. I love you so much.” She said wrapping her arms tightly around him.

 

“Yah, I thought we’ve been through this. It doesn’t matter.” He turned off the gas and turned around before taking her into his embrace. “I love you, too. I never thought I’ll meet you but I did. I have to thank you for being my happiness when times were tough.” He buried his head into her hair, pulling her closer.

 

“Oppa.” The girl muffled into his chest. Kyungsoo knew he had to do something before she started crying again.

“Now, now. Let your oppa go. He needs to cook.” He pulled away and turned back to cooking as he felt her pair of arms slipping off him.

“Thanks again! I’ll be at work if you need me!” she shouted from behind him before exiting the kitchen.

She’s so bipolar. One minute she’s on the verge of crying and the next she giddily skips off to work. Like, ‘What?’

She was a full-grown woman with a bubbly personality from a wealthy family that he had met some time ago. He had to say though, she was way, insanely too sensitive. She could tear up at the slightest bit of criticism or problem. She wouldn’t be able to stand the comments in the industry of she were to come into it. That was exactly what worried him. He’s an idol. Even though, not active, nevertheless an idol. He was worried that she will get hate and threats from his crazy fans, not to mention Sasaeng fans*.

 

It would be his fans and she would be suffering it. He would be swimming in guilt every day and he wouldn’t even know how she will be like. He hoped she’ll become stronger. He’ll help her if he had to, he’ll do anything for her.

 

If they tough her… I swear!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

………………………………………………………………………………………………………

 

*Minah, Shin Yeongmi: both of them are OC characters.

*Weekly Idol: MBC’s MBC Every1 variety show. Aired every Wednesday night at 6PM.

*Please note that this is set in the future and Weekly Idol is still airing. I do not know the future and how it will end or how many times EXO will be on it.

*Roy Kim – Bom Bom Bom (Spring Spring Spring): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3-BDy55tq4

*Yoboseyo: When picking up the phone and saying “Hello”. [Tao also said it in the last chapter.]

*Baekhyun-ssi, Chanyeol-ssi: When saying the name of someone you are not familiar with who m is older than you “-ssi” is added. Pronounced: -shi. DO NOT ADD –SSI WITH THEIR LAST NAME. IT IS CONSIDERED RUDE, use their first name.

*Busan: It is an province in the south of South Korea. Busan is known for being on the coast, although it is an industrial province.

*Kimchi Jjigae – Kimchi stew: I will suppose you know what Kimchi is. It is a stew-like Kimchi dish. Usually, with dried tofu, onions, scallions, pork or seafood. Although, it is not common to add pork and seafood to the same dish.

*Sasaeng fans: Pesonally I don't consider them a fan, therefore I will not refer them as fans. 

They are people who stalk hallyu stars and invade their privacy with questionable methods. They even go to the point where they slap or injoure the idol in hopes that they would not be forgotten by the idols. They go to insane extents to get to their favourite idols.

 

 

 

More on the positive side:

Hello hello!! There you have it! You’ve finally met Baekhyun and Jongin (through the phone). Notice that I did not mention Kyungsoo’s fiancée’s name, I’ll leave it for you to add ^^

I hope you are enjoying it <3 and please note that I do not know how the future will be therefore everything here is made up

Jongin might not be Casanova and Kyungsoo might not get married.

Baekhyun and Chanyeol might not be close…

I hope they’ll be though =[ Baekyeol <3

Anyway, thanks for reading!!