2

Faute De Mieux

Chanyeol landed, less than gracefully, onto the stone pathway of the palace courtyard. The crown prince had shifted just meters off the ground and if the tall elf hadn’t been paying attention, he would have gained bruises that, while they would fade within the day, would irritate him to no end. Sehun had long since gripped Kyungsoo by the wrist and tugged him within the castle walls. Yifan, as he’d heard the younger dragon call him, simply strode forward at a more sedate pace.

At least before the reptilian beast suddenly sprouted his wings and flew out of reach to the top of the highest tower. Chanyeol’s white eyebrows knitted together and his mouth formed an incredulous question he couldn’t seem to find the right words for. His ears twitched madly.

It was like manners were a tabooed practice in this kingdom, he thought angrily. Glaring toward the sky where Yifan had already disappeared, he decided to find his own way.

The courtyard was immense, the green of the neatly manicured hedges offsetting the yellow of the chrysanthemum flowers and the gold of the pathway, all set aglow with the warmth of the setting sun. Thanks to Kyungsoo the first go round, they were able to find their way through the maze, but Chanyeol refused to have to take that amount of time to get back. With a bound, he leapt and landed lightly atop the hedge to his right.

Satisfied that he was able to see, he set off at a lope, skipping over gaps in a straight line to get to the palace doors. The maze, he thought absently, had to be at least half a mile in length: a useful tactic against invasion on foot, if he said so himself.  The Night Elf was barely halfway there when a sudden force knocked him over onto the hard path.

Through the momentary daze, he heard the light tap of shoes on the ground beside him.

“Have you no respect? To dare trample over the Queen’s flowers!”

Chanyeol got to his feet and shook his head before opening one amethyst eye to get a good look at his assailant. He knew the person was of dragon kin: the man had no manners.

“It’s either that or be accused of wandering around without permission,” he shot back. Chanyeol looked, down, at the shorter dragon kin. He had shaggy brown hair and pale skin. His lips were full and his eyes hard. Nice-looking for a hard mouthed, brazen fool. He seemed to be of the clergy, golden robes with green trim: also good for camouflage. A mage, perhaps?

The two held each other’s gazes, neither blinking in the orange intensity of the dying sun.

“What is it that you want, Deva?” The last word was spat out and Chanyeol frowned.

“I am an elf,” he retorted automatically, almost forcefully. The war in the other’s eyes wavered, and Chanyeol tasted the dingy flavor of ash on his tongue. Huffing, he snuffed out a tiny puff of smoke, extinguishing the flame within his jaws.  He rolled his eyes at himself and calmed a bit. “I’m looking for another Dark Elf. A little dragon boy hauled him off toward the castle.”

“Watch your tongue about the Prince,” was the acidic warning, the mage’s hand poised to attack.

“Whatever,” Chanyeol hissed. “Just take me to them.”

“You’re not my commander,” the mage responded, a disgusting smirk playing across his features.

“Then,” Chanyeol squared his shoulders, nonplused. “If you’ll excuse me, I’ll be continuing on my way.”

The Night Elf did just that, grudgingly hopping over the hedges rather than running atop them, dutifully ignoring the indignant squawk of the yellow mage. He was barely three paths away when the same force sent him careening through the brush.

“What,” he growled, “do you want of me, you wretched creature?”

“You really do have a terrible personality,” a familiarly small voice sounded from beside him.

“Sehun,” Chanyeol sighed, turning to look at the small dragon boy. He looked at his feet and rubbed at the back of his neck.  “Finally a--.”

“Hurry up and climb on,” came the impatient order. Sehun shifted and turned his back.

Frowning, Chanyeol did as told, not wasting any more time. From high in the air he looked at the maze, pleasantly surprised at the shape of a yellow flame.  He vaguely remembered seeing the shape elsewhere.

After a rather scenic journey, however short, Chanyeol was deposited back into the King’s Chambers. Laughter tinkled about the room and Chanyeol followed it toward a cheerful Kyungsoo and a smiling Queen. The King as well seemed amused and at ease.

Sehun bounced over to them, settling at Kyungsoo’s side. “You were right, Sir Kyungsoo.” The tall elf raised his eyes at the added title. “He does have a terrible personality. He even called me--.”

“I did no such thing to my better knowledge,” Chanyeol interrupted as quickly as he could, manners be completely damned.

“Chanyeol,” Kyungsoo sighed. “Nothing out of you please. Just show your respect and find a seat. If the High Lady Boa is alright with that?”

“It’s fine, dear,” the queen lilted.

Chanyeol, confused at the abrupt change, did as ordered and sat in the chair furthest from the King but close enough to hear what was going on. Kyungsoo was on first name-basis with the Queen and in the King’s good graces. That alone made Chanyeol pause for thought. While it may be true that it could be due to them both saving the prince’s life, it also made him wonder if he was truly at fault for most things gone wrong during their journey. He’d realized that Sehun was of royalty when he recognized the yellow flame in the garden. Chanyeol sighed silently and ran a hand over his features.

It hadn’t been long before the Queen rose to her feet, prompting both Chanyeol and Kyungsoo to drop to their knees.

“Oh, goodness, no,” she laughed. “On your feet, dear.”

Chanyeol was only halfway to his feet when a foot hit the back of his knees and he fell forward.

“Not you, cretin.”

Chanyeol bit back a grunt, looking through the corner of his eyes to see none other than the Captain of the Guard. He hadn’t been there before…

Chanyeol looked back to see Kyungsoo smiling almost shyly at the Queen as he was helped to his feet by a dainty hand. The tall elf felt his ears begin to droop but immediately staunched them against the action. He loved Kyungsoo like a brother. He honestly did, but if it was one thing he was jealous of, was the other’s natural charm. Everyone took to the calm elf like ducks to water when he was by his lonesome. However in Chanyeol’s unrestrained company…

Chanyeol mouthed an unhappy grumble.

“You’d best be going to your chambers and wash up for dinner,” Queen Boa said. “I’ll see you in the Hall. Sehun, be a dear and show the guests to their quarters.”

With that, the Queen, accompanied by the King and the Guard, left the room. Chanyeol was kicked another time for good measure before Zitao left the room, bringing up the rear.

Finally allowed to stand, Chanyeol bit back his tirade After all; the prince was still in the room, clinging to Kyungsoo.

The trip was made in silence between the two elves, Sehun chattering animatedly with the earth elf, asking questions about Kyungsoo’s experiences and if he’d either seen this or that. It was almost cute.

“Here,” Sehun chirped, jumping to a stop before a large oak door. He pushed open the door and ushered Kyungsoo inside. Chanyeol made to follow when a hand planted itself firmly in the midst of his chest. He looked down in wordless question at a rather stern looking Dragon Prince.

“You’re staying in the servants’ quarters.” Sehun raised a brow. “You are a servant, are you not?”

“What?” Chanyeol sputtered, looking up at Kyungsoo for some kind of support. The other just gave him a look that he knew brooked no argument. A look that plainly stated Just go along with it. Chanyeol drew his lips into a thin line. “Fine.”

The remainder of the journey through the castle was spent in a stony silence. Sehun no longer radiated the friendliness he’d shown them first.

Just what had Kyungsoo told them anyway?

"You treat everyone beneath you this way?" The tall elf couldn't help but to ask that question, truly curious and more than a bit piqued at the prospect.

“I treat them with the respect they deserve,” Sehun sniffed. “I’m only even showing you where you’re staying because mother asked and Kyungsoo expects me to do it. If it were up to me, I’d let you wander until you found your own way.”

“I apologize if I rubbed you the wrong way,” Chanyeol relented, having a semblance of an idea as to what was going on with the younger’s attitude. “My day wasn’t exactly yielding the best of fruits.”

“Know your place, Deva,” Sehun bit out and it made Chanyeol’s step falter. The young prince looked over his shoulder at the misstep and smirked. “Thought I didn’t know what you were? Even Kyungsoo couldn’t defend that part of you well enough. He really is gracious, keeping filth like you around.”

Chanyeol felt his ears quiver, his eyes widening and brows knitting together in disbelief.

“Excuse me?”

“You’re excused.”

They came to a stop at a cellar door, the swollen brown door a bruise to the carefully crafted interior. Sehun yanked the stiff door open and they walked into near darkness. It seemed an entirely different time of day in the hall, torches mounted on the gray stone walls.

“I saved your life,” Chanyeol said slowly, reining in his ire as best as he could. “At least show some form of gratitude. Be civil at least.”

“Kyungsoo was the first face I saw,” Sehun stated simply. “And from your behavior I bet he had to order you to do your part.”

“I did most of the work!”

“You’re nothing but a servant, it’s your job!”

“You know nothing about me,” Chanyeol hissed dangerously, eyes flashing. They rounded a corner and descended a short stairwell and stopped at a door when Sehun turned around with a glare that rivaled the Night Elf’s.

The younger prince’s lips curled back into a nasty sneer. “It’s enough to know that you’re completely useless.” Sehun flicked his wrist in the direction of the door and the gale force of wind knocked it open effortlessly.

“Let one of the maids show you to your room.” The dragon prince pushed past the elf and the sound of wind let Chanyeol know that Sehun was long gone.

Chanyeol stood there, angry and uncertain, for a time he wasn’t entirely conscious of. He stood at the door, glaring at nothing when a voice snapped him out of his thoughts.

“Excuse me.”

Chanyeol glanced up to see a young woman holding a basket of linens, propped up on one of her hip bones. She didn’t wear typical servants’ clothes, however. They were not the plain faded looking cloth dresses. Instead she wore a simple yet elegant green dress with small gold designs and a turban around her head of the same shade of green. Some of her dark hair dangled from its confines, seemingly loose wet curls. She was headed straight across into another corridor when she’d seen him.

“Hello,” Chanyeol nodded, suddenly almost shy as he folded his hands behind his back.

“Are you a guest servant?” the woman asked, turning to face him. Chanyeol nodded. “Come on, then. It’s not good to tarry. There’s much to be done.” She had already begun to walk away into the pale of the barely-there daylight and Chanyeol wasted no time, using his long strides to catch up with her.

She was short compared to most of the women he’d come across in the city. Dragons were usually tall and regal, no matter their post. She may have been short, however but she moved with grace, precision and the regality was replaced with professionalism so pure that it could have been mistaken for a queen’s air in the mustiness of a servant’s cavern.

He followed her through a maze of doors and corridors, steps leading somehwere and nowhere at the same time. Servants, both male and female, bustled to and fro, shuffling feet and the clicking of shoes echoing through the underground tunnels. They, too, were dressed better than the average servant he'd come across.

Suddenly, a small little light buzzed around the corner they were nearing, whizzing about and settling near the woman.

“Hello, Luna,” she greeted warmly. The little ball of green light glowed brighter, happy at the acknowledgement.

The green-clad maid looked over her shoulder at Chanyeol and reverted her attention. “Have you a room as yet?”

“No,” he answered, still following the little ball of light named Luna. He guessed immediately that it was a faerie. “I was told someone was to show me?”

“I would show you but there has been a call for a special feast tonight,” the maid said. “Luna can take you.”

With that, the woman disappeared around the corner, leaving him with the ball of light. Luna zipped across his line of vision, stopping in front of his face briefly before dashing behind him. Almost reluctantly, he followed the energetic creature.

The sprite flew out of one of the windows, and back in through another, much like the child's game Bluebird. At first, Chanyeol nearly feared he would have had to expose his natural ability in order to get to where she was going down the face of the mountain castle. It took three occasions of the sprite stopping to float before his face, shining brighter and then buzzing to figure out that she was trying to speak to him.

“Hello?” he hazarded the third time. The sprite's light dimmed considerably and he mentally slapped himself, also trying to hold back a chuckle at the sprite's apparent dismay.

“I'm sorry Luna,” he sighed. “I just don't understand what you're saying.”

The sprite hovered for a moment, almost as if in thought before leading the rest of the way. She went just a tad faster, making Chanyeol almost double his own walking speed. They'd arrived to wooden door and the tall elf pushed the door open.

It was a room made for one, he noticed. There was a simple cot, an old wooden trunk and a barred window. Atop the flat surface of the trunk was what Chanyeol knew at a glance, was old water. The sprite bumped into his back several times, prompting him to move forward. And as soon as he was clear of the door, the sprite shoved the door closed. Luna zipped across the room to the bowl of old water  and settled over it, almost thoughtfully. The ball of light set itself on the rim of the bowl and dimmed to translucence. Witin the pallid light was a small woman, no bigger than the palm of Chanyeol's hand, with hair the color of bronze. Her tiny hands hovered over the water and the body of liquid moved up in a small stream, dispersing at its apex, and trickling back into its pool in disjointed, but precise drops.

She was using the water to imitate the Elvin Tongue.

I cannot parse the Elvin Tongue. You are a strange elf.

A water sprite, he thought. Chanyeol moved to kneel before the bowl on the opposite end with a thoughtful frown. She could understand the Elvin language to a degree. The level, he wasn't sure of. And so, he began to guage it.

Opening his mouth to speak, words did not leave him but the sound of a small stream passed through his lips as easily as air. It sounded like the tinkle of liquid bells, soft, sweet and strong.

I've been told that I'm not what many look for in my kind. You're a long way from home, Miss Luna.

Luna looked up at him with wide brown eyes as he spoke, eyes growing in awe and the light around her becoming almost white with excitement before she dimmed it with a small blush. Indeed she was quite far from her home Kingdom in Essenia where the sprites were plenty. A trip between the Winter Court to the Dragon's Kingdom was easily a month and some days. The journey between the Dragons and Essenia is quite easily, without the aid of magic, six months.

Almost shyly Luna placed her hands over the water.

Miss Krystal found me washed ashore near the River Pyke after I'd been led astray to escape the danger to my home.

Chanyeol's heart went out to the sprite. They were extremely attached to their homes and very rarely left them unless sent off as messengers or guardians to creatures who were unable to wield magic. Tearing a sprite away from its home was one of the cruelest things to do.

I see, he replied. 

What's your name? How long will you be staying here? 

I am Chanyeol. As for how long, I hope it's not for too long.

Do...you not like it here?

Chanyeol thought about the question. The place is beautiful but..

I understand,  Luna said. They seem bad, but it is who they are. The King still frightens me.

He's a beast, Chanyeol said, his thoughtful frown moving to a scowl in record time. The only thing he felt was water splashing in his face and the sprite hugging his lips.

Be careful of what you say about the king!

Chanyeol gently picked the sprite off his lips and smiled at her. Don't worry, Luna. 

The sprite huffed and turned her back on Chanyeol, muttering something and glowing hotly, the light turning from green to alight orange, eignifying her annoyance.

Not like I'm worried. The king's a right bastard, if you ask me.

The elf gave a loud laugh and clapped his hands, only later realizing that Luna had reverted to the language of the Fae. For water sprites it was the sound of rain and wind. Chanyeol had been hard pressed under Kyungsoo to learn the language. And for once, it came in handy. 

Finally, someone agrees with me.

Luna whipped around with her tiny hands to , staring up at Chanyeol with a wild look in her eyes. Then, slowly, as realization dawned on her, she glowed a bright orange. How dare you make me struggle with Elvish?

You never slipped up like this before for me to try to accommodate you.

Wise on your mouth, Giant, she fumed.

You're not so easy yourself, tiny woman.

Suddenly Luna grinned and attacked the bridge of Chanyeol's nose with a feather-light hug. I wan to keep you, now.

Chanyeol, for the first time since coming to the castle, grinned like a loon, laughing until tears leaked out of his eyes. 

You're the second one to ever tell me that.

Luna looked at him curiously, the orange glow already diffused into the usual green. Who was the first?

Chanyeol smiled almost wistfully.

Kyungsoo.

 


 

A/N: Jus to get this out of the way for now. I had intentions of including the banquet in this chapter but I'll save if for the next chapter. This one was long overdue. Introducing Luna, the fae water Sprite. I will admit now, I have not read up on these creatures but it's going to act as twists until I do my actual research and throw it in the Guide later. Chanyeol has a potential friend in the castle walls. NOOT NOOT!

Happy new year to all of you. I'm doing my level best to carry out my agenda starting today. This updating thing is going to be a bit of a challenge since I'm gonna be dragged out =.=" But I'm doing my best! ♥

Also, I apologize for any mistakes spotted. Do tell me where you see them. I'm not proofreading like I should since I'm doing this right in the editor. I miss my room Q_Q