Taking Chances

A Collection of Fiction

 

 

 


 

 

Taking Chances

 

There she was again. Perfect, at least in his eyes. Even with her hair up in a messy ponytail, pieces of long dark hair falling around her face and no makeup on she shone. Even with only her ripped jeans and a long loose jumper that bunched around her waist, or else would fall near her knees, she was more beautiful than any girl in a short skirt and tight shirt to ‘accent’ their features.

 

How odd was it, her thought, that out of everyone she landed in his life and not only landed but stayed. He met so many people a day yet somehow she stuck, like fate had, in it’s own amusement, glued her to him or attached them together with some invisible rope.

 

And, in all of fates ridiculous humor, had decided to make it that an invisible blindfold was over her eyes and let her see anyone – but him.

 

Hyunseung didn’t consider himself a completely vain or arrogant person. He didn’t need the world to love him but it hurt, not to mention frustrated him, when she happily laughed and showed that smile to everyone more than him. He didn’t want to miss that spark of joy in her eyes, or that shine of life that she carried with her.

 

Not to confuse him with a coward he had tried to express those emotions that ran up through him. Hyunseung had, on many occasions, pulled her aside only to become a blundering mess while looking at her nervously. Time, and their busy schedules, would always pull them away before he could tell her how much he thinks about her. About his love – for her.

 

They called her Myn. A peculiar name that he could never spell correctly until she taught him. Her hair wasn’t long, rather cute short around her shoulders, the fringe that had been there when they first met grown out to meld with her longer hair - if you could call it long.

 

He loved her that much was obvious especially to his five closest friends who watched him – the boy who’d said he’d never have a one-sided love, fall so hard for her. The man that had sworn that emoticons were the befalling of the human race and an embarrassment had found a new love in sending those very emoticons to Myn – in an attempt to make her feel special.

 

To his friends it was their new favourite joke – his love.

 

After a year and a half of knowing her, loving her and watching her float around with other people Hyunseung finally snapped on his birthday, of all days. His closest friends and people he considered as important in his life had all turned up to his small, slightly run down house. What did you expect from a university student, a mansion?

 

They’d cut the cake, joked about how ‘old’ he’d become and that his dream of dancing would never come true, when they all knew it would. And there she’d been – across the room talking to someone else.

 

In retrospect it wasn’t the fact that she was talking to another man that made him snap – it was the dark circles under her eyes and paleness in her face that had ripped a hole in his normally well established manners and, without a second thought, he’d stalked across the room to grab her hand in a grip he hoped was gentle and pull her outside where no one would follow. No one doubted Hyunseung’s affection for Myn.

 

‘Hyunseung?’ He closed his eyes for a moment, thankful that she’d said his name without any kind of honorifics. A small smile flittered over his face. ‘That was kind of rude…’ she muttered the last part.

 

Hyunseung found himself turning around, intent on smiling at her and saying sorry but instead, when he found her eyes looking up at him with curiosity and concern he simply hurled her into his embrace. Myn’s gasps and questioning was muffled in his chest until finally she stilled and let herself be held, even going so far as to wrap her own hands around his waist.

 

‘If you’re tired tell me, if things are hard you just have to say. Even if I can’t have your heart I’ll be satisfied if I was a person you relied on for those sort of things.’ A soft exhale of breath left his lips, ‘I’d be happy being that person for you.’

 

He didn’t dare let go of her, the fear of seeing her face and the disgust lining it was amongst his greatest fears. Instead he held her tighter when she tried to gently push away and instead bounded onwards.

 

‘I feel like, instead of being apart in time by thousands of years we’re trapped in a road full of traffic that won’t move. We’re neither far nor close. It’s helpless, I feel helpless.’

 

He didn’t say that he thought it was time to finally get closer nor how impatient he really was. How much he wanted to escape being so nervous and uncertain when he was around her or the fear or someone coming along and him loosing her.

 

‘Hyun,’ her voice was faint, still stuck in his shirt, ‘Hyun, I can’t breathe properly.’

 

That was the trigger, abruptly he pushed her away from him, before stepping forward to cradle her face while she, at first coughed and then started laughing.

 

‘You look so scared Hyun,’ she giggled and watched in more amusement and his face turned bright red. She lifted her hand, gently touched his cheek and laughed again when his eyes widened ridiculously in surprise.

 

‘Should we give it a try then?’

 

He cursed himself for a fool when he stumbled over his words, ‘W-w-what?’

 

Myn’s own ears turned slightly red, ‘Being a couple? Shall we give it a try?’

 

His answer never came, it didn’t need to. Instead a brilliant smile flew over his face – that was answer enough.

 


 

I know Its been ages - literally. For those who might be somewhat interested in an apology I was in Japan for three months and when I came back had to get into Uni life so for the past 2 months back in australia I've been under a lot of stress which everyone else was able to overcome in their Christmas / Summer holidays while I was in Japan studying. I also FINALLY got a job and only just got back on track with how to spend my time but the main part was a massive writters block after not writting for so long. It's taken a lot of rough drafts, fears of never getting back to writting and reading to finally be - somewhat on track. 


That's more of a bunch of excuses than an apology so I'm sorry. ^^ 

myasaiinbBy
Thanks so much~ I'm a pretty melocholy writer so It feels good to be complemented on my sad writter haha. That sounds so weird. ^^ Thanks for reading and commenting.

 

HyunSeungHo;
It's ok, love will come and it'll be amazing for making you wait. ^^ It only recently came to me. BTW you seriously made my night when I read all your comments. It not only left me smiling for ages but also made me want to write again when I came back today looking for inspiration for this story. So I'll reply to your comments the way you did haha.
@7: I love Dongwoon! He's my bias. I don't know how it feels to lose first love either but I can only imagine. I hope so as well T_T. Oh i feel so stupid making stories about things I've never experianced. It makes me feel fake. I've just had a lot of friends that I watched go through all this pain and drama afterwards and I take it off that. BTW for interest - how old are you?
@6: Haha There's always a bit of angst hidden in my stories if I can so I'll leave it to you to decide. I wanted a happy ending because people asked me for it but being me and angst...y I had to put a little bit of mystery behind it. I'm glad someone noticed. 
@5: I'm sorry! Sometimes I just can't think of how to make it longer or feel if I do I'll never stop. (Something I struggle with in every story). 
@4; LOL please do! I love hearing peoples opinions - good or bad. I have to say chapter 4 is my favourite one shot. :D So I'm glad you really enjoyed it!!
@3; I KNOW~!!! I can't either but I saw a picture of him photoshoped to look like a fairy and I just imaginied him in a garden so I did it hahaha. ^^
@2: I am cruel - i know. ^^ HAHA lol you should never read my new chapter songs or you'll never read my stories again. Whatever you do DON'T read In Heaven. Everyones going to hate me when I finish it O.o lol. HAHA I'm sorry to say this but I'm sorry happy for such an amazing reaction!! It makes me feel like I did something right. 
Thank you so much for your support and comments and reading!! i appreciate it so much. 

MANGYAHang;
Haha thankyou! I know, Junhyung kills me~ Sorry for making you wait so long T_____T You can hate me.

xCrystaL401017;
Thankyou~!!! Graduating was AMAZING~!!! Finally so more school haha. Not that Uni is any easier hahaha. 

x