First Part

Abandon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Light reflects from your shadow

It is more than I thought could exist

That familiar song plays in the back of her head; each syllable, every note perturbing her already clouded sleep.

You move through the room

Like breathing was easy

She sees his back in front of her eyes again, how he leaves the room, heading to the bathroom, to throw away the used condoms. Not the most romantic sight ever, but somehow it ended up printed in her mind.

The way he holds his waist and ruffles up his hair, how he covers his front in an almost shy manner, when entering the bathroom.

If someone believed me

His silly smile, the small of his nose. His voice, his laughter. And those brown eyes lighting up when the afternoon sun shines over them.

How dark his skin was against hers. She was milk, when he was cappuccino.

They would be

As in love with you as I am

They would be

As in love with you as I am

They would be

As in love with you as I am

They would be

In love, love, love

The song begins to scratch in her ear, and her eyes fly open. Annoyed, she looks to her left, reflexively glaring at the teen who’s next to her. The girl flinches and immediately turns the player off.

“S-sorry. Did I wake you up?” She asks in Mandarin, slightly stuttering.

Heaving a sigh, the woman pushes back her hair and leans back against her seat.

“Just turn the music lower.” She then responds in the same dialect.

Why is she suddenly thinking of him? After so many years, why does she have to remember him? And that song… yes, she used to listen to that song over and over again, during and after him. It’s a beautiful song, too beautiful to be wasted and not listened to. But not by her. She can’t stand it anymore.

How silly of her, to fall asleep at a forty-five minute flight. The plane will land in circa ten minutes, and she woke up, luckily. Not in the best way possible, but oh well.

The woman simply hopes that the memory of him won’t cause her distress.

Looking out the window, she notices that the sky is clouded. It’s barely the afternoon, but a storm seems to be approaching. This sort of weather should not occur, not when Byun Baekhyun is getting married.

She uses her bony fingers to push back her hair – her greatest treasure – and then leans back against the seat. Crossing her arms over her chest, she automatically has on replay the memories of Him. The woman can’t help herself, though, as she’s hungrily swallowing each image of the long, long past. Angels by The Xx used to be her favorite song, back in the day.

“Pink Floyd ain’t that bad though,” she sees his younger self pouting in front of his laptop.

They’re both lying on his bed, on their stomachs, while looking through his music records.

“Yeah, alright. Classical rock is filled with stoned guys.” She retorts and gets up, ready to get dressed and do something else.

However, he won’t allow her to escape so easily. He jumps off the bed, secures his arms around her waist and throws her on the bared mattress with ease. He then places down the laptop, and climbs on top of her.

They stare at each other in the eye for a moment, before bursting into laughter simultaneously. And he kisses her, hot and heavy, soon to be followed by another session of making love.

Or not really. In truth, it has always been her principle, drawing a line between ‘making love’ and ‘having ’. He mentioned once how he likes her train of thought.

But that was long ago.

Now she’s a woman, just as her reflection, age, and everything else indicates. Her hair is long, glamorous and hazel. Her eyes gleam with proximity and she’s overall more confident than before. Nothing is left of the little, innocent girl he destroyed almost seven years ago.

The plane lands and the hazel haired woman gets off with ease. She also notices a few shy glances thrown towards her. Maybe some people recognized her from the TV, or they are simply attracted to her. She is beautiful, truth to be told.

She doesn’t carry a big trunk, just the necessary clothes for two days. That day is Friday, the wedding happens the following day and by Sunday, she would cuddle in her old bed again.

Taking a taxi, she tells the driver her aunt’s old address, and off she goes. She doesn’t own a house or an apartment in Seoul anymore, since she moved out the first thing after graduating from college. Not that she minds. She’s happy with her current lifestyle.

“So… Tell me about you.” She sees him all grinning in her memories, both hands behind his back, brown eyes gleaming with expectations.

He’s always been into conquering, and her heart had been the latest territory.

“There’s nothing to say. I’m just another girl.”

Seoul’s lights are so different from Beijing’s. Both cities are pampered with light and vibrations, like a never-ending roller-coaster of feelings, but she got too used to the Chinese city, to ever reminiscence about her birthplace.

Eventually, she arrives to the old house, where endless cars are parked, and a party is obviously happening. It’s barely the evening, but the atmosphere seems so nice. Hopefully she won’t ruin the mood.

“Thank you.” The woman says as she steps out from t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter