Chapter 2

Time Changes Everything

Suddenly Hara remember something, she walk towards her wardrobe and open the door. She retrieve a Jar out from under her clothes. She sat down on the coach with the jar and stare at it for a while.

 

The Jar she was holding was a big glass jar with one piece of her favorite candy in it.

 


 

All the guest were arriving at the house. Most of the guest were Hara's parent friends, people in the older business world who are sophisticated and fancy. None of them want to miss the Hye's youngest daughter 18th birthday, mostly because they wanted to see what kind of a person she had become.

 

Around the house, everyone was chatting among themselves, creating little talking circles as Hara's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Hye greet and thank all the guests from coming.

Bora was walking around, making sure that all the food and the drinks were on the table and that the servants who are suppose to be walking around with food plates, aren't slacking off.

Chansung and Wooyoung were going around the place, talking to their friends from school.

Suddenly all the lights turned off, Mr. and Mrs. Hye took the spotlight as they stood on the bottom steps of the grand stairs. Mr. Hye was the 1st to speak, "Thank you everybody for coming to our

Hara's birthday." He look at Mrs.Hye with a pleased smile.

"Today Hara is becoming a woman, and we are all very happy that all of you could be here to celebrate it with us." Mrs. Hye said, her eyes scanning the room. "Now to futher adieu, we present to you our Hara." She gesture her hand to the top of the stairs where Hara stood.

The light shone on Hara, blinding her. She quickly regain her vision, and began to make her way down the stairs, slowly, as her eyes wandered the room, searching for Jinwoon. Everybody applauded as Hara made her way down to the guest.

When she got to the bottom of the stairs, Hara's parents welcomed her with a hug. Her mom handed her the microphone, excepting her to say a few words to the guest. "I'm very grateful that everybody is here to celebrate my birthday with me. I want to take this moment to thank my parents for everything that they have given me, my whole life and my friends for all their help. Thank you, and please enjoy the party." Hara gave an appreciative smile and handed her mom the microphone.

Everyone went back to their little chit-chat and drinks, Hara stroll around the room greeting all of her guests. She came across Chansung and Wooyoung sitting at a table with Bora and Deedee.

They were all talking and laughing, it seemed like they were having a good time to Hara.

Chansung was the 1st to notice Hara approaching them, "Hara." Chansung said, excited to see her.

Wooyoung looked over at Hara as she dropped herself down on a seat next to Chansung, "Where have you been all night?" Wooyoung asked playfully.

"Greeting all of my parent's business friends. Why did they have to invite so many people?" She let out a sigh, as grab a glass of champagne from a waiter that was passing by and chugged it down in one gulp. Hara’s answer caused laughter around the table.

"Well, maybe because..." Before Wooyoung could finish his sentence, Hara interruptted his sentence, "Have you guys seen Jinwoon?" She looked at them with hopeful eyes.

The 4 looked at each other with a confused expression on their face. "Hara, what are you talking about?" Bora asked. "Jinwoon won't be here, he's in the states.." Wooyoung added.

"Are you okay?" Chansung touched her forehead with the back of his hand, checking to see if she was feeling well.

Hara swiftly shift her head away from Chansung's hand, "I'm fine." Hara said with disappointment.

Hara knew that if she told them about Jinwoon's promise, then they'll find out her feelings for him. So she couldn't say anything. The feeling of uncertainty fill Hara's head, as the words of Wooyoung repeat in her head.

Unhappy with the thought of Jinwoon not being there, Hara abruptly stood up and walked away. Leaving her friends sitting there in confusion.

Not giving up, on the thought of Jinwoon's promise. Hara once again, search the room for any sign of Jinwoon. Hara thought she saw a guy that looked like Jinwoon, she tap him on the shoulders, "Excuse me."

The guy turned around, "Yes may I help you?"

Hara's hopeful expression vanished as she discovered the guy wasn't Jinwoon, it was just one of the waiters. "Sorry, wrong person." Hara said in a low voice.

Hara stood there disheartedly. Suddenly, a hand tap on her shoulders. Hoping it would be Jinwoon, Hara turned around to see Nicole staring at her in shocked. "Where have you been? It's almost time for your dance, We have to cut the cake soon." Nicole took Hara's hand and drag her through the crowded room.

A circle was formed around them in the middle of the dance floor, when all the lights went off and the spotlight was on Nicole and Hara,  as Nicole announce that the dancing will start after Hara chooses a dance partner.

Hara scanned the room, looking for someone she can trust to dance with her, without embarrassing her in front of everybody. All these years, she imagined this dance being with Jinwoon. Now that he's not here, she has lost interest in it.

Chansung saw Hara standing there, her eyes wandering around the room, looking lost. He marched up to her and ask if he could have this dance. His bold move made the room roar with shock.

As Chansung and Hara began to dance in silence, all the other couples began to join them on the dance floor.

Chansung broke the silence, "Are you okay? You seem a little distracted." He looked down at her, trying to figure out what was wrong.

Hara pondered over Chansung's shoulders heard his question, "I'm fine, just a little tired, that's all." She still didn't take one look at Chansung.

"You were okay a few minutes ago." Chansung reply. "I'm fine!" Hara snapped back.

Her respond made him jolt back, staring at her with open eyes. "Sorry, I didn't mean to snap at you like that." Hara said remorsefully. Chansung was speechless and could only stare at her.

The two danced in silence for a while, "Thank you." Hara say, trying to break the awkward silence between the two of them.

"For what?" Chansung answer back.

"For dancing with me, and for helping me not to make a complete fool out of myself, just now." Hara looked up at him.

"We're bestfriends, I would never let you go down alone." Chansung said teasingly. The comment, made both of them laugh.

The song came to an end, as they bow to each other.

 


 

It was 3 in the morning, Hara's birthday party has ended and all the guest had left. All the servants were busy cleaning up the place. Hara looked around at the messed that was left behind and let out a sigh. She turned to look at her 5 tier red velvet cake with a white cream cheese filling, that was almost gone.

She made her way up the stairs and into her room, locking the door behind her. She made her way to her bed and lay down on her back. As she stare up at the ceiling, she thought more about Jinwoon. A whole bunch of things raced through her head. Why didn't he show up? What was his reason? What if something bad had happened to him and he couldn't make it?

Her mind, was making all kind of excuses for him. But she knew that, no matter what excuse she made up for him in her head, this was reality. And in reality, there are no such thing as a happy ending.

Thinking about it, made Hara cried. She crawled under her blanket and curled up into a ball and cried herself to sleep, with her last thought being, Jinwoon.