First Love

When Love Is Reborn

 

Sungmin turned around with a smile and surprised when he saw someone beside Donghae. The said man was no less surprised than Sungmin. Sungmin felt his lips were suddenly locked, as he couldn't even say a word. His eyes focused on that foreign yet familiar person who was standing next to Donghae.

"You..." Sungmin stuttered as he tried to make some words. "Cho Kyu..."

Kyuhyun made no move cause he couldn't even imagine it if Sungmin uncovered all of his secrets in front of Donghae just by simply calling his real name. He thought he would never ever meet Donghae again once Sungmin pried his mask. He went frantic just by the thought of it because he was not ready of what would happen before his eyes at that very moment. He couldn't move his muscles on his body, not even lifting his finger nor glancing his eyes at Donghae as Sungmin had his eyes fixed on him. He was silently praying that Sungmin would not mention his real name and ruin his plan. Therefore, he put his body on frozen mode as if Sungmin would shoot him dead once he made a move. He barely felt his heart beating while he waited for Sungmin to finish his words.

"Cho Kyu...Jhi...?" Sungmin pretended to guess and decided to play along with whatever Kyuhyun had planned.

Kyuhyun felt all of his systems in his body were sighing along with him as he made a long exhale.

"Hyung, how did you know he was Kyujhi?" Donghae asked with a smile on his lips.

"Oh of course I knew him. Even though he's not my friend, I knew him as your friend." Sungmin said as he kept staring at Kyuhyun.

"I'm glad to hear that." Donghae felt somewhat happy cause his hyung could recognize Kyujhi.

"Donghae, you better get home now before Hyukjae finds you here. Don't upset him by returning home late. Go, hurry!”

"Ah, that's right!” Donghae looked up to Kyujhi before he went home. “Well, I have to go now and I’ll see you tomorrow, Kyujhi.”

"Good night and see you tomorrow, Donghae." Kyuhyun gave him an awkward smile knowing he was going to be left alone with Sungmin, and saw Donghae waved to him before he disappeared from behind the elevator doors.

Kyuhyun looked at Sungmin who had not yet stopped looking at him. He didn’t know how to react in such a situation, so he just asked for leave in an attempt to avoid engaging conversation with Sungmin. However, when he was about to make his leave, Sungmin called him loudly and made him jolt, “CHO KYU HYUN!”. Kyuhyun immediately halted his movements.

"It was you, I knew it. Can we talk for a minute?" Sungmin asked and made him even more nervous. He didn't answer the question though he invited Sungmin to get into his car. He thought it would be safer to have a talk in his car rather than outside where Hyukjae could catch them anytime.

They silently sat side by side inside the car until Sungmin laughed and broke the silence. Kyuhyun stared at Sungmin expectantly because he didn't understand what Sungmin was laughing at, when they barely made a conversation. After his laugh died, Sungmin scanned Kyuhyun’s face lovingly.

"Excuse me, why are you laughing? Is there something funny?"

"No." Sungmin only gave him a brief answer and made Kyuhyun even more curious.

"Then why are you laughing like that? You looked like a crazy person." Sungmin was not surprised by Kyuhyun’s sharp words because he knew that it was part of his habits. He knew Kyuhyun did that to people and Donghae was his only exception. 

"It was just because I'm happy. I'm very happy to see you, Kyuhyun."

"And may I know why is that?"

"To tell you the truth, I knew it was you as soon as Donghae told me about his friend, in which I was pretty sure I never heard he had a friend named Kyujhi before. Don't you think I’m smart, huh?" Sungmin giggled at Kyuhyun.

"Well, for me, you're more sensitive rather than smart." Kyuhyun replied and immediately broke Sungmin’s confidence.

"Anyway, I'm still happy." Sungmin didn't lie to Kyuhyun.

"Sungmin-ssi, you are not in love with me, right?" Kyuhyun talked nonsense.

"In this cruel world, why would I fall in love with a man like you, Kyuhyun-ssi?" Sungmin laughed his off to what he just heard and said.

"Its not funny though."

"But its true!" Sungmin answered while he was trying to stop his laughter.

"Lee Sung Min, what exactly are you trying to tell me?" Kyuhyun couldn't wait any longer. Sungmin managed to stop his laughter as he realized that Kyuhyun didn't enjoy his joke. He let out a deep sighed and tried to initiate a serious talk with Kyuhyun.

"I have tons of question to ask you and I need the answers, are you okay with that?"

"Ask me then..."

"Great! I don't even know where to start but whatever. First of all, why did you do that to Siwon? What was that for, was it revenge? Why did you let yourself being jailed? Why didn't you tell them the truth so that they could judge you fairly? I mean at least you could have go back to New York and continue your career as a pianist? Now, you are here with your sudden appearance and all those lies? I don't get it why you have to lie to Donghae? Why don't you just tell him that you are Cho Kyuhyun?" Sungmin threw all the questions he had kept in his mind and finally was able to get the answers.

Kyuhyun sighed. He never expected Sungmin would ask those questions, because he himself never wanted to discuss about the incident from years ago. Sungmin left him with no choice other than to answer it. "I did that to Siwon because I wanted him to feel what he did to Donghae. I didn't think being jailed as an option. I did a wrong thing by stabbing him so I should be punished for my criminal act."

"Siwon could bail you out and why didn’t you take that?"

"It was because I didn't need a defense and attention or anything from someone who I hate the most" Kyuhyun couldn't hold his hatred for that certain person.

Sungmin said nothing and let Kyuhyun to continue to answer the rest of the questions.

"I’m not going to tell you why I didn't go back to New York and hid myself from public. I couldn't careless about my career and dreams. I know exactly how hard I tried to achieve them and I shouldn't have let it go that easily, but what do you think I felt that time when someone who I love most hates me? I can always pursue my dream again if I want, but can I have my love of my life back whenever I want it?"

"Donghae doesn't hate you, Kyuhyun. He never did."

"Of course he would when he has his memories back." Kyuhyun felt so sad whenever he thought about it.

"You haven’t yet answered my last question. Why are you lying to him now?"

"It’s because I want him to recover first, to be able to remember not only me but also his life. If I told him I was Kyuhyun then I couldn’t help him to gain his memories back. Therefore, I need to lie to him and pretend that I am KyuJhi instead. I know it doesn't make any sense but I’m trying to help him to remember everything about his life and all those who care about him. By that time, he might as well remember everything about me, about us."

"Hold on there. I assume you already aware about his condition, but do you know how complicated the disease is?"

"Yes, I do. He told me about that."

"Then what else can you expect from this?"

"Are you telling me to give up on him?" Kyuhyun understood if Sungmin could hardly believe in his plan but he wanted Sungmin to at least trust him to do so despite all of uncertainties they were facing.

"Kyuhyun, I always told Hyukjae that you are the one who can help Donghae. It’s because I believe in you, that you can do it. However, I do also realize that it is not an easy and simple thing. It doesn't matter who you are now in front of him, Kyujhi or Kyuhyun, either way would not make any difference. It is because once he lost his diary, then he will also lose you in a snap." Sungmin explained him about his thought.

"Donghae had warned this to me before, so you don't need to remind me again. That 's enough."

"Yet, you still think that it is a possible thing to do?"

"I'm trying, okay? Is that a wrong thing for you? I don't care what would happen next, it’s not important. Because what matter to me is I will try my best to continue to help him." Kyuhyun tried to assure Sungmin.

"Are you sure you won’t feel tired in the half way?"

"Seriously, are you doubting me? Why don't you encourage me instead?"

"It is a matter or fact that you will begin to feel tired at some point, Cho Kyu Hyun. That is what I’m afraid of."

"I will never get tired. Maybe you forget that I had experienced the worst just for him, having life behind the bars for years and losing my career and dreams. Do you honestly think I will get tired after what I had been through? Why would I feel tired when I’m so close to him now, to have him back into my arms again?"

"I know you can say that, but what about Donghae?"

"Eh?"

"Okay, listen. I believe you will never get tired and give up, then what about Donghae? This is all about him, right? If this alone is difficult for you, then what do you think it is for him? It’s away harder for him. He could feel tired and give up anytime."

"Lee Sung Min, you have successfully dropped my spirit." Kyuhyun felt his spirit plummeted deep down to center of the earth. He knew what Sungmin said was true.

"I’m so sorry, Kyuhyun. I have to tell you about this so you don't forget the fact that we are dealing here. Once he feels tired, he might choose to forget about you at all. But hey, don't worry, I will support you anyway."

___

 

Two days later...

…Once he feels tired, he might choose to forget about you at all…

Kyuhyun could not deny that Sungmin’s words made him scared and worried. It had greatly reduced his spirit and confidence.

When Kyuhyun came home after he met Sungmin two days ago, Ryeowook saw the change in his behavior in which he became more silent than usual. Ryeowook felt more worry when Kyuhyun didn't answer him when he asked what had happened to him. He certainly knew that something had happened to Kyuhyun and it was associated to Donghae. Since Kyuhyun was in no mood to talk, Ryeowook just let it slide first and made his own move to help Donghae. He called Yesung and told him about Donghae’s current situation as well as Kyuhyun’s. He did the same thing to Shindong too. He didn't expect Donghae to remember everything in one go, but at least he could know whatever had happened in his life. Ryeowook simply hoped that Donghae could recall it slowly. After Yesung and Shindong agreed to join in his plan, he started looking for Kibum. He was happy knowing not only Kibum but also Changmin were willing to help him. By that, the only person left was Siwon. Even though he knew how much Kyuhyun hated Siwon, he had no choice other than asking for his help too. It was because Siwon held an important role in Donghae’s past life.  He and Siwon involved in arguments before Siwon finally agreed with his plan. Once everything was settled, Ryeowook and Kyuhyun brought Donghae to Yesung’s apartment and met Yesung and Shindong there.

"Donghae..." Yesung ran to hug Donghae once they arrived at his apartment. Shindong followed right after him and did a same thing to Donghae, while Donghae just silent. "Are you okay? Are you healthy? Do you know how we missed you, Donghae?" Yesung finally cried.

"It scared me when we lost you. We didn't know where Hyukjae and Sungmin took you away. But thank God, you're here now, right before us!" Shindong felt so grateful that he met Donghae again after a long-time separation.

"I feel very grateful for your warm welcome and cares. Please forgive me for not remember who you are guys and Hyukjae-hyung never told me about you either."

"We were your good friends, Donghae. You lived here with me for two years and we worked together at Seoul café.” Yesung confirmed Donghae about their past.

"We worked together? Kyuhyun did too?" Donghae’s question surprised every person in that apartment.

"Kyuhyun?" Shindong repeated the name.

"Kyuhyun also worked and lived with us, didn't he?" Donghae guessed.

Yesung and Shindong didn't want to jeopardize the plan so they waited for Ryeowook and Kyuhyun’s hint.

"Tell him everything you know about Kyuhyun. It's okay." Wooky whispered to both Yesung and Shindong and they nodded obediently.

"What do you want to know, Donghae? You can ask me and I’ll tell you everything I know. Hmm, do you want to know how we met for the first time?" Yesung asked and Donghae almost immediately nodded his head. Then Yesung let everyone to take a seat in the living room.

"The first time I met you, was when you were trying to commit suicide. I stopped you and took you to my place, here. We lived together ever since and worked at Seoul café afterwards. It was for two years." Yesung slowly explained to Donghae.

"Suicide? Me? Why?" Donghae shocked knowing he had tried to commit such a sinful act.

Yesung stared at Kyuhyun while waiting for the cue to answer Donghae’s question. Kyuhyun just nodded his head hinted him to tell the truth.

"I don't know exactly what was your reason to did so, but as far as I know, you did that because of…Kyuhyun." Yesung answered and a bit choked when he was saying Kyuhyun’s name. 

"So you are saying that I tried to commit suicide because of Kyuhyun? Why?" Donghae remained confused.

Yesung grabbed one of his hands. "I’m sorry Donghae. I’m not sure about that because I never knew." Yesung felt sorry for Donghae.

"We didn't know much about your past before you met us, Donghae. Back then, Kyuhyun had been searching for you and we only knew him when he asked us to meet him, since he found out that we were your workmates at Seoul café. After our first encounter with Kyuhyun, suddenly many people closest to you from your past emerged and we ended up friends. But we never really knew what was going on between you and Kyuhyun that time." Shindong added to what Yesung had said to Donghae.

"Kyuhyun was looking for me?" Donghae didn't understand.

"Yes, because you two split up and lived apart ever since." Wooky helped to answer the question.

"Oh. Hmm, do you know why we split up, Wooky?" Donghae asked Wooky hesitantly.

"Many things happened, Donghae, and each of them could be the reasons. For example, Kyuhyun’s dreams and his cowardice, even Siwon was one of the reasons why you two separated."

"Siwon? Who is Siwon?" Donghae felt increasingly curious and wanted to know everything right away. However, when Wooky was about to answer him, Kyuhyun stopped him.

"It is enough, Wooky." Kyuhyun said.

"But I want to know it now Kyu Jhi" plead Donghae.

"No, that's enough for today, Donghae. Make sure you write it all right in your diary." Kyuhyun tried to stop the talk cause he didn't want it to continue on. Wooky deeply sighed while Yesung and Shindong just silent to Kyuhyun’s childish behavior as they knew why he didn't let Wooky to answer the question.

"Okay, Donghae. I think we should wrap up our talk for today. You meet Shindong hyung and Yesung hyung, and now you also know the history between you and this place as well as Seoul café. Its more than a thing, isn’t it?" Wooky surrendered to Kyuhyun’s order.

"But, I..." Donghae tried to speak but then Wooky cut him off by telling him that they still had plenty of time to talk about his past. "I will bring you to meet your other friend next time, how about that?" Wooky coaxed him.

"Who is that?" Donghae slightly looked excited.

"Kim Ki Bum." Wooky said and it didn't surprise Kyuhyun since Wooky gave him a heads up about this. Nonetheless, it made his heart aching whenever he heard the name.

"Kim Ki Bum...My first love?" Donghae muttered quietly and it stabbed Kyuhyun’s heart but he just let out a deep sigh. "You remember him?" Kyuhyun painfully asked him.

"Do you remember Kibum, Donghae?" Wooky made a same question like Kyuhyun’s.

Not only Kyuhyun and Ryeowook, but also Shindong and Yesung anticipated the answer from Donghae.

"Unfortunately no, I don't remember him. I know him as my first love is rather because Hyukjae hyung told me so, that he was the only man I ever loved and loved me back." Donghae told to everyone in the room.

"It's obviously a lie!" Kyuhyun chuckled and Wooky immediately kicked Kyuhyun’s foot to make him quiet.

"A lie? Why is that a lie then?" Donghae asked Kyuhyun.

"The point is there was Kyuhyun in your life Donghae, so it means that Kibum was not the only one, am I right?" Wooky quickly replied him.

Donghae just nodded his head as an answer.

"Nevertheless, I still want to meet and get to know about him. Hyukjae told me that Kibum was the only one person he scared of, because Kibum had a potential to take me away from him." Donghae said it thoughtfully.

"Well, I’m pretty sure Hyukjae had suffered from a severe brain damage." Kyuhyun muttered once again and made him got another kick at his foot from Wooky for the second time that day.

"Okay, I think we should get going now Donghae, before Hyukjae find out you’re not home." Wooky said and Donghae reluctantly complied. Donghae thanked Yesung and Shindong, and made a promise to visit them again as they were hugging each other. Ryeowook and Donghae were heading out from the building when Kyuhyun was bowing his head to thank Yesung and Shindong for their help. Yesung gave him a kind smile and shindong patted his shoulder as if they were giving him encouragement.

"One day, Kyuhyun. Donghae will remember everything about you." Yesung said to him before he left.

***

Hyukjae knew something was going on and it made him suspicious. That was what Sungmin was most worried about. He could have just carried Donghae away to avoid Hyukjae but knowing Hyukjae, he could easily find them. Therefore, Sungmin only did what he could most likely do, namely by lying. He covered everything from Hyukjae as much as possible and thought that he did it pretty well so far. 

On the other hand, Hyukjae had suspected the change in Sungmin and Donghae’s behavior lately and it made him annoyed. He knew they were hiding something behind his back and he wanted to find it out. So that was why he ended up sneaking up to Donghae’s room and looked after the diary. He read it carefully through the darkness of Donghae’s room and found what he was looking for. “No, this is not possible! This is so impossible!”, he muttered to himself and got shock because of what he had read. He put the diary back in place and went back to his room. Once he was inside, he pulled his hair in frustration as he tried to compose himself. However, he didn't realize that he was crying and tears were streaming down his cheeks.

"Please, don't hurt Donghae."

***

 

Maxim says that first love is hard to forget. Donghae agreed with Maxim, however he did forget everything about Kibum. He only learned about the said man from Hyukjae. Yet, when he finally saw Kibum before his eyes, he could feel something twitching in his heart. There was a warm feeling suddenly and gently rippled through his heart. It made him realize what Maxim says was true. Though he couldn't remember even a slight thing about Kibum, he could still feel something about the person.

Kyuhyun watched Donghae silently as they were sitting there, at Seould café, with Ryeowook and Kibum. Ryeowook suggested to let Donghae had a talk personally with Kibum. As they talked, Donghae learned that Kibum was his first love and the reason underlies their separation was Kibum’s family didn't approve their relationship,

They were parted since then and met again at Seoul café for the first time after a long separation. Kibum also told him that they got back together not long after that meeting. Nonetheless, Hyukjae made them separated once again because of the stabbing incident.

"That means that we remains a couple now since we had not yet broken up?" Donghae spoke after listening Kibum’s talk.

"Practically, yes." Kibum gave him a sweet smile.

"And I know you long before I met Kyuhyun?"

Kyuhyun felt a bit uncomfortable with Donghae’s questions.

"Yes. I didn’t know exactly when you met him as well as about how he was in person. What I only knew was he was you ex-boyfriend." Kibum honestly answered him.

"It really makes me increasingly confused. If I had you as my boyfriend, then why everybody is fussing around about Kyuhyun? I mean, you are the one my boyfriend, aren’t you?" Donghae grew furious.

Kyuhyun was certainly not happy with the talk and tried so hard to make him looked composed.

"About it, I’m afraid the possible answer for your question is because he was the one you loved, not me."

"If I loved Kyuhyun then why were we together at the first place?" Donghae got even more confused.

Kibum glanced at Kyuhyun before he answered, "Maybe...it was your attempt to made Kyuhyun gave up on you, since everyone knew how he loved you and would do anything to had you back." Kibum answered and made Kyuhyun dumbfounded. Ryewook on the other hand was smiling at Kibum’s answer because he knew it was true.

"So you knew about it and yet you still agreed to be my boyfriend, why? It was like I was taking advantage from you." Donghae made a conclusion but Kibum only gave him a smile.

"You can say that way, but it was more because I love you Donghae. I was willing to do that just to let you did what would make you happy." Kibum let the truth talked about what he honestly felt.

Kyuhyun felt so uneasy and insecure after hearing Kibum’s answer because that was the last thing he wanted to hear and he was afraid Donghae would be affected by Kibum’s affection.

Donghae was mesmerized by Kibum’s answer. As he was thinking about it, everyone waited for him to speak. After a while, he finally spoke again with a question that made Kyuhyun almost got a heart attack and the glass Kyuhyun was holding to drop to the floor and shattered.

"Kibum, if I remember everything about Kyuhyun, I would hate him the same way I did. So, by that time being, will you be my boyfriend again?"

Kyuhyun silently talked to himself, 'Should I give up on you, Donghae?'

 

TO BE CONTINUED

a/n :  I would like to say thank you to my co-workers @kyuloveshae, I would not be standing here without you kekekeke .... ^^ And to all the readers that I love, thank you for staying here and I so appreciate readers who always give me a comment. thank you for @UKEHAE94 @haehaemeinschatz @lindasu @AmySiHae_Eunhae @kyuwifey @Fish_heart @haesafahaven @Mandy_p @czaizcomei  and new readers @atiihae  I LOVE U ALL ....