Go away

My heart! Whats wrong??!

        Hyo-Jin lied down in bed, unable to sleep. She was disturbed by what she just witnessed: Eunjung looked shocked having to see her with AJ. Hyo-Jin felt guilty over Eunjung as she felt that it was her fault that Eunjung had to get hurt emotionally. At the same time, Hyo-Jin was also curious as to Eunjung's relationship with the Ki Woong guy. Could the guy actually be interested in Eunjung? Hyo-Jin couldn't have possibly asked them that night. It was like a conversation meant for old friends. She felt out of place and kept quiet most of the time. Hyo-Jin closed her eyes and forced herself to shut out all thoughts. It was a way for her to fall asleep. Thinking too much when she was about to sleep was a frequent problem she faced. 

 

-----

 

          Morning came and Hyo-Jin was again awoken by the annoying alarm in her phone. She groaned as she groggily grabbed her phone from the side table and turned the alarm off. She laid in bed for a while before forcing herself to get up. She calculated the hours of sleep she got and groaned again. Only 5 hours, since she was tossing and turning in bed, unable to sleep. Hyo-Jin grabbed her towel and entered the bathroom which was installed in her room. She quickly got ready and went down for breakfast. Her sister always emphasised on the importance of eating breakfast before going to school. 


         "Good morning." Hyo-Jin mumbled to her sister and grandma.


          "Looks like someone slept late last night..." Yu Bin sang as Hyo-Jin sank to her sit. 


           "Yeah. I couldn't fall asleep. I hate it when that happens." Hyo-Jin rolled her eyes. She grabbed a piece of bread and spread some butter on it. She bit into the bread with her eyes barely opening. 


          "Hey eat your bread properly." Yu Bin ordered. 


           Hyo-Jin forced her eyes open and ate her bread. She took a bowl next and poured milk and cereal into it. She quickly polished off her breakfast and set off for school. 


------


         Hyo-Jin reached school early and met up with Yoon-Ji at their usual meet-up point.

         "Yo whats up. How's it going between you and AJ? Any progress?" Yoon-Ji asked.

          "Its the same. I'm happy that it is." Hyo-Jin answered smiling softly.

          Yoon-Ji nodded her head in acknowledgement. "Oh. Have you heard the recent news in school?"

          "What?" Hyo-Jin asked.

          "Changjo, is a target for bully nowadays. He was tougher in the past. I don't know why he changed so much." 

          "So why does it concern us? He said he wasn't related to me in any way." Hyo-Jin said

         Yoon-Ji shrugged her shoulders and both of them made their way to class. On the way, Hyo-Jin saw Changjo at his locker. His cheek was swollen and the corner of his lips was blood stained. Hyo-Jin was shocked. She didn't know that it was this serious but even if she wanted to help, she knew that Changjo was the type of person who wouldn't want any help, especially from a girl. They met each other's gaze and stayed that way for a while until Changjo looked away, closing the door to his locker. Hyo-Jin continued looking at his figure as he strolled away. 

                                                                                                 -------

          It was the break between lessons and Hyo-Jin made her way to her locker to get her books for the next lesson. 

          "Wow. This brat is really arrogant. He's ignoring us." 

          "Lets teach him a lesson shall we?"

          Hyo-Jin turned her head to witness five guys kicking and bashing another guy on the floor. She wanted to help but she was scared. So she brought the discipline master to the scene. 

          "Stop all this at once! The five of you come here! Now!" The discipline master shouted for the guys' attention. 

          The five of them stopped and hesitated to move. At another command from the discipline master, they shuffled slowly to her. Once the guys and the discipline master were gone, other students gathered around the victim. Hyo-Jin heard murmurings directed at the victim:

          "He asked for it. Who asked him to ignore those thugs?"

          "I bet he'll transfer to another school soon." 

          "Omo! He's too cute to be beaten up like that. Look what happened to his face."

         Hyo-Jin moved herself to have a glance at the guy. Her eyes widened as she saw that it was Changjo. Changjo got up and limped away. The students gave way to him. Hyo-Jin wasn't sure whether those students were trying to avoid him or help him. It was common for students to avoid bully victims so as to keep themselves out of trouble. The crowd started to subside as students moved away to attend their next class. Hyo-Jin wasn't planning to do so. She followed Changjo slowly from the back when she noticed that he wasn't going to class. 

         Changjo limped as he walked. Hyo-Jin realised that they were heading to the school's rooftop. She climbed the stairs as quietly as she could. She was further behind as it would be too obvious if she was just a few steps away from him. Hyo-Jin stopped in her tracks as she stood before the door leading to the rooftop. She was comtemplating whether to go in or not. Suddenly filling herself with bravery, opened the door. She walked over to the spacious area, looking around for signs of him. 

         "What are you doing here?" Hyo-Jin heard someone say. 

          She turned around to see Changjo on the floor, leaning against the wall by the door. Hyo-Jin approached him knelt down beside him.

         "I was worried about you. You were limping and I figured that you might pass out any moment. In case you did, I would be around to help right." She explained.

          Changjo chuckled but groaned in pain as he instantaneously  touched his rib area. Hyo-Jin got worried and she didn't know where to put her hands. 

          "Don't worry. Its probably just a broken rib cage." 

          "You're saying it as if a broken rib cage is nothing." 

          "Its nothing compared to losing my father in prison." Changjo looked down.

          Hyo-Jin paused herself. "What? Are you saying that –"

           "Yes. He passed away when he was supposed to serve his sentence prison."

          "But how?"

          "He fell gravely ill and was admitted to the hospital. He passed away a few weeks ago."

          Hyo-Jin grew silent. Her eyes turned soft. She felt pity for him but she didn't know what to say to console him. At last Hyo-Jin took out her handkerchief and wiped the blood on Changjo's face. Changjo grabbed her hand.

           "I know what you're thinking. I hate people pitying me. And don't be too nice to me." He shoved her hand away which left Hyo-Jin surprised. "I want to be left alone. Even if I die here, you don't have to care."

          His words struck Hyo-Jin like a burn on her heart. That was harsh, Hyo-Jin thought. She understood that she wasn't wanted there anymore. Hyo-Jin left her handkerchief on his lap and stood up. She walked away and opened the door of the rooftop. 

         Changjo glanced at the handkerchief on his lap and held it. "Don't be too nice to me. We've done you wrong. Its just that you don't remember." 

          He smirked as he looked up at the sky. "Dad, I miss you. Why did you have to leave me alone? Why!!" He screamed.

          I'll hold my tears and be strong for you Dad. He closed his eyes.