The heart takes time heal

My heart! Whats wrong??!

         The clatter of heels and shoes against the ground could be heard and among those clattering, one particular lady was making her way to a cafe. She opened the door to the cafe and entered. She looked around for the sign of someone she recognised. 


        "Eunjung! Over here!" Her friend, Ji Mi waved her arm over her head. 
          Eunjung smiled and walked over to her. A man was seated facing Ji Mi. He had his back to Eunjung, making it difficult for Eunjung to see his face. Whoever it,was, Eunjung was excited to meet him. He was, as Ji Mi had said, an old friend of theirs. 


        "Hi!" Eunjung chirped as she took a seat next to Ji Mi. She then looked at the man in front of them and tried to remember him. Who is he? 


         "Hey! You're kinda late you know." Ji Mi pouted. Eunjung mouthed a sorry. "Anyway. You must be wondering who he is judging from your your clueless expression.." 


          "Let me do the introduction myself Ji Mi." The man said, grinning. "I'm Park Ki Woong. Do you... remember me? Oh we were in the same class in high school." 


           "Were we? I don't remember having such a good looking classmate.." Eunjung gave him a side glance with her eyes squinted.


            Ki Woong laughed. "My teeth stuck out in high school but I got braces so now they're straight. See?" He said while pointing to his teeth. "You guys used to call me Rabbit Park?" 


            Eunjung's eyes widened as she recalled him. "Ahh! I remember now! I was one of those students making a nuisance in class while you were one of those quiet ones!" 


            Ki Woong nodded slowly as he closed his eyes smiling. "But as a troublemaker, you never bullied me. I'm grateful for that!" 


            "You grew handsome over the years." Eunjung smirked. 


           Ki Woong grinned showing his pearly white teeth. He looked a little embarrased. He wasn't used to getting compliments from a lady. 
            "O-kay. That was unexpected.." Ji Mi exclaimed when the atmosphere got awkward. 
            Ji Mi stood up, "Well maybe I should leave you guys to catch up." 


             "Why leaving so soon?" Eunjung flustered. She was pleading with Ji Mi through her eyes. She didn't want to be left alone with him since they're not that close.  


             "Yeah. Why so soon? We can catch up as a ." Ki Woong backed her up. He must have sensed Eunjung panicking. 
             "Nah its ok. I need to go meet up with someone anyway. Bye!" Ji Mi waved and walked away as if gliding in her four inched heels. 


             Eunjung leaned back on her chair and let out a sigh. She folded her arms. Then Ki Woong copied Eunjung. He folded his arms, leaned back and sighed. 


             Eunjung giggled and asked. "Why are you copying me?" 


             "Just for fun. You seem bored and in case you don't see it, I am too." He replied. "Hey you want to get out of here? Sitting around talking bores me sometimes." 


           Eunjung brightened up at that and said, "Sure! I was about to suggest that but oh well!" 


            Both of them stood up and walked side by side. They made their way out talking gleefully. They took a stroll along some street. The convenience store was still open. So were some restaurants and clothes outlets. They went around looking at the street stalls. Eunjung saw some fishballs and went over to the stall. 


         "Ahjumma, I would like one stick of fishballs please!" Eunjung smiled. The auntie selling fishballs and other delicious delicacy grinned back and handed Eunjung a stick of it. In exchange Eunjung gave her money. 


           "Eunjung ah. Can you wait here for a while? I'm gonna buy something. I'll be quick!" Ki Woong assured her. 


           Eunjung nodded, "Make sure you keep your word and hurry back." She detested waiting around alone. It made her feel awkward as people walking past would look at her as if judging her. That made her feel as though she was a loner.

          Ki Woong ran to another stall to buy dobokki, a popular dish. Its actually spicy rice cake. Eunjung ate her fishballs as she waited. She tried to look busy eating her fishballs so as to avoid the gazes of those who walked by. Then she saw two pairs of feet stop in front of her. She looked up and realised they were the two people she didn't really want to meet. Eunjung dropped her stick of fishball in surprise. She stared at them wide eyed. Such a coincidence! Why must they be here of all places?


          "Hi Eunjung unnie. Are you here alone?" 


          Eunjung wanted to reply but she simply found it hard to get the words out of . 


          Ki Woong walked back to Eunjung with large steps. He saw Eunjung looking at the two people in front of her. He noticed how uncomfortable she looked. Ki Woong quickened his steps to be by her side. 


          "Hey there!" Ki Woong chirped. He wrapped his arm around Eunjung's shoulder catching her by surprise. Eunjung stared at him in disbelief and Ki Woong met her gaze. "What? Is it wrong of me to hug you?" 


          Eunjung looked down and shook her head slowly. 


           Ki Woong asked, "Who are they? Your friends? Let me introduce myself, I'm Park Ki Woong." 


           "I'm Jaeseop but you can call me AJ." 


           "I'm Hyo-Jin." 


            Ki Woong nodded as his brain started processing the names. One of the names sounded familiar to him. 
             "Have we met each other by any chance?" Ki Woong asked.
             "Not that I know of." AJ shrugged.


            "We're old classmates. He was one of those troublemakers." Eunjung replied. She was directing her answer to Ki Woong which he gladly recalled. 


              "Ohhh. I remember now! Jaeseop whats up? Remember me? You guys used to call me Rabbit Park but my teeth's all straight now." Ki Woong grinned revealing his teeth on purpose.


              AJ chuckled. "Ahh its you." He gave Ki Woong a tap on his arm. 


              "Is she your sister? Or your girlfriend? She looks quite young." Ki Woong asked looking at Hyo-Jin. 


               "Oh yeah... She's my girlfriend " AJ replied smiling. He reached out for Hyo-Jin's hand and held it. 


               Ki Woong turned to observe Eunjung's reaction to what just happened and realised that her expression got dark. She wasn't the same lively person earlier on. Based on his own assumption, Ki Woong thought that Eunjung must have been jealous of those two. He didn't have the heart to let Eunjung carry on seeing all this any longer. He turned to look to the front again.

 
            "Hey guys I'd love to chat but Eunjung and I gotta go somewhere else. So.. meet you guys some other time?" Ki Woong said raising his left eyebrow. 


            "Sure. Nice meeting you again." AJ reached out for a handshake which Ki Woong received wholeheartedly. 


             Ki Woong led the Eunjung who was still in a daze, away. He still had his arm around her shoulder which made Eunjung feel comforted. She really needed his support then. She felt as if her legs would give in any moment. 


            Concerned, Ki Woong shook her shoulder with his arm. "Hey. Are you alright? I don't know if its the lighting here but you look a little pale to me. Lets go to the bench over there." Eunjung gave a slight nod. 


          When they got seated down comfortably, Ki Woong decided to ask her. 


          "What was your relationship with him?" Ki Woong emphasised on the 'was'.

           "We were classmates. You should know that." Eunjung gave a fake laugh. 


            "Don't need to lie to me. I saw how disturbed you looked when Kiseop held her hand." Ki Woong smiled as he tapped his hand on Eunjung's hand. 
            Eunjung looked at him for a moment as tears gathered in her eyes. "Why must you realise it? This is so embarrasing." She then looked down. 


            Ki Woong looked at her affectionately. "Its fine. Don't feel embarrased. Some girls like you may look tough and strong on the outside but inside, you're that girl who gets hurt easily."


         Finally the tears which were threatening to fall from Eunjung's eyes dropped. The tears travelled down her cheeks, paving a stream. She slowly moved forward and hugged him.


          "Let it out. Let it all out." Ki Woong said, tapping her back. 
           Eunjung cried harder. She let out all those tears which she had kept all this time. She thought that crying wouldn't help things but now that she let it all out, it felt so good. Ki Woong's hug was also comforting which made her feel secure.