35-- The First Mistake

Who Are You?

 

 

Imagine my surprise the next day when there's a knock on the door and I open it to reveal Jongin, standing there dressed and ready for college.
"Jongin what the hell are you doing here?" 
"Hey," He pouts, "Is that anyway to greet your favourite person?"
"You've just come out of hospital; please don't tell me you're thinking of going to college."
"I'm bored at home! And I've missed a lot of studies while I've been away."
"Should have thought about that before you did your little disappearing act then," I grumbled, "And you're majoring in dance, how are you planning to dance with that arm."
"My arms not dead you know," Jongin rolls his eyes, "Neither has it been amputated. It's just a little scratch that's practically healed."
"Just a little scratch? Practically healed?" All I can do is stand there gaping at him, my mouth opening and closing like a fish out of water.
"Listen," Jongin tucks the hair out of my face and around my ear, "Don't worry about me. Never worry about me. Just worry and take care of yourself."
"But there's nothing wrong with me, there's nothing I need to worry about-"
"Then," Jongin interjects, "there's nothing wrong with me either. As long as you are okay, I am okay."
"But Jongin I-"
He tilts my head up with the tips of his fingers and gently kisses my lips.
"There's no point arguing with me," He whispers, eyes searching my face, "So maybe you should save your breath." 
His brown eyes are frank and show a steely determination that let's me know I've lost this battle.
"Fine." I sigh, "Fine fine, but if it starts hurting a little bit promise me you'll go straight home."
"Yeah," He mumbles. I hold out my pinky finger and glare at him,
"I promise," He puffs out his cheeks, and wraps his little finger around mine.

"I'm going to go and visit Kai after my lesson; I know he's probably bored out of his mind," I hear Suho saying as we approach.
"Looks like you won't have to..."
Chanyeol says, pointing to Jongin and I. Suho turns around and his mouth falls open.
"Jongin what the-"
"Please," Jongin interrupts, holding up a hand, "I don't need to hear this all again."
"I already tried it Suho," I sigh, giving a defeated shrug.
"You should have called us; we would have tied him to his bed." Chanyeol says.
"That's the only way to get Jongin to stay at home." Suho adds.
"I'll know for future reference," I say wryly. 
"Kai you need to go home," Suho says sternly, "I know you like to close your eyes to any injuries you get but this is different; this is something you can't ignore."
"I'm not ignoring it Hyung," Jongin sighs, "Since when was it so hard to come out of my house. Anyone would think you guys didn't want me around."
"You're right, today we don't want you around," Suho says gently, "We want you to be at home resting."
"Well if you think I'm going to-" 
"Hey Ara," 
I turn to see Yunho standing casually by the lockers. He's got the same easy smile on his face from yesterday.
"Oh hey Yunho," I return the smile. "Guys this is Yunho, the new transfer student." 
"Hey I'm Suho, nice to meet you." Suho says and Chanyeol does the same. I turn to Jongin but he has a frown on his face and he's staring at Yunho as if he suspects him of something. 
"Jongin," I hiss, nudging him.
"I've seen you before," He says, "I've definitely seen you before, but I can't think where."
"Really?" Yunho raises his eyebrows, "I doubt that, I've only moved to this town a couple of weeks ago."
"Maybe you've seen him on the streets," Chanyeol shrugs.
"No..." Jongin's still staring, trying to figure it out.
"We're going to be late to class Ara," Yunho says, indicating his head towards the direction of our class.
"Oh yeah," I reach up on tiptoes and give Jongin a kiss on the cheek. "Don't overwork yourself. If you feel pain, go home like you promised." 
Jongin puts his hand around my waist and draws me closer, his lips just touching the shell of my ear.
"Be careful of that guy, I don't trust him."

 

 

“So how are you planning to get the Chinese boys from the airport smart arse? Or were you hoping the aeroplane would drop them on your doorstep.”

It’s the end of class and Sujin and I are making our way to the canteen. The corridors are empty as everyone is either in the library, eating food or standing outside in the cold weather.

“You know, it would be great if you gave me suggestions instead of your dumb sarcasm.” I say, giving her the side eye.

“And where are they going to stay? Have you even thought about accommodation? And when’s the moment you’re going to let Suho and Kai and everyone know that there friends are here?”

“Okay you can stop now!” I hold up a hand to silence her flow of words. “I know I obviously haven’t thought about this as much as I should have but I have been kind of busy.”

“See that’s why you should be grateful that you have me as a friend,” Sujin grins, slinging her arm around my shoulder.

“Why, what have you done?” I say slowly, looking at her suspiciously.

“Since I knew you’d be so incompetent, I have sorted out the travel arrangements. Just tell me the time and place and I shall deliver the Chinese boys there.”

“This sounds dodgy,”

“A little gratitude wouldn’t go amiss. And I don’t see any other suggestion on the horizon.”

She had a point there.

“Just leave that bit to me. But as for the accommodation,” Here, Sujin holds her hands up, “That ship is yours to sail. I’m very interested to see how you’re going to house six boys for three weeks.”

“I semi have a plan so don’t worry. As long as you’re sure you can sort out the travel?”

“Don’t worry I’ve got it,” She salutes and gives a cheesy grin. “But you’re also going to have to figure out how to tell them.”

“I know, it’s been pretty hard hiding it from Jongin. But I know it will be worth it.”

“Make sure he doesn’t catch you on the phone to him,” Sujin laughs at the thought, “How would you even explain that to him?”

“Explain what? To who?”

The shock of hearing Jongin’s voice nearly ends my life there and then.

“Jongin!” Sujin screams, “What the hell are you doing here?”

“We go to the same college in case you had forgotten or failed to notice.” Jongin rolls his eyes, but then his attention is back to me.

“Why are you blushing Ara? Talking on the phone to who?”

“Oh no one,” I stammer, “I just…we were just,”

“Talking about if her Dad was to catch her on the phone…” Sujin improvises, “To you.”

Jongin stares at me, his face blank and straight, waiting for me to tell him the truth. But I can’t, I can not ruin the surprise this close.

“It’s true Jongin,” I say, trying and failing to look him in the eye, “It was nothing important.”

For a moment I think that he’s not going to let the matter rest. But then something flickers over his face for a second, an emotion of some sort before he’s back to being impassive. That brief reaction scares me for some reason, but not as much as the now empty look on his face.

“Okay,” He shrugs.

-----------

A/N: Thank you for being so patient! Sorry about the formatiing issues in the begining =____=!! Hope you enjoy! <3