18-- VIPTJ

Who Are You?

It’s official. Soon my life will involve six more boys, coming all the way from China.

Kris keeps asking me if I'm sure, if I understood exactly what I'm doing, telling me it isn't too late to change my mind.

"Don't feel obliged to help us out because you said you would once. We won't feel offended if you change your mind at any time like-"

"Kris." I interrupt

"Yes?"

"Shut up. You're coming whether you like it or not. I know what I'm getting myself into so just accept it okay. Accept that you're going to see your friends and allow yourself to be excited!"

There's a beat of silence. I pour some food into Saja's bowl while I wait.

"You're right," He sighs, "I just keep worrying and feeling like a charity case."

"Well that's silly," I say, "It's not like you came and asked me for the money. I've offered it! You can't be like this when you come to Korea, acting as if this money is some great weight on your shoulders. Think of it as a hundred Christmas presents in advance."

Kris gives a deep chuckle,

"You're a sweet girl Ara," He says seriously, "You've got a good heart. The person who gets it will be very lucky."

"Wow," I whisper, touched. "Thanks Kris."

"Let's just hope Kai doesn't take too long in making you his,"

"I know right," I sigh. And then it hits me. "Wait what? Wait what do you mean? Who have you been talking to? How do you even..."

"Know?" Kris finishes, laughter in his voice, "I know everything,"

"Who told you," I say sternly, "It was Chanyeol wasn't it."

Somehow I couldn't imagine Jongin confiding into anyone. It seems like he loves to pile everything on his shoulders only.

"He might have mentioned something. But seriously, I hope Kai makes you happy. You deserve it."

"Oh Kris you're going to make me cry," I laugh. "It's going to be great to meet you guys."

"You should be hearing from the other boys here in China soon. They want to say their thanks as well."

"Oh are they going to ring too?"

"Something like that," Kris says mysteriously.

 

 

"You need to seduce him dude,"

"Seduce him? That's your solution?"

"Well yeah," Sujin shrugs, "Make yourself irresistible to him then he won't be able to stop himself kissing you, whatever his problem is."

"I shouldn't have to do that," I grumble. We're sitting in the library, studying for our exams which are inevitably approaching. "I shouldn't have to go and make myself irresistible. If he wants to kiss me than I should be enough."

"He does want to kiss you though." Sujin points out, "He said he did right?"

"Well yeah..."

"Well then! I just think its nerves to be honest. Like with the dancing thing, he was scared you'd think he . Maybe he thinks he's a bad kisser."

"With those lips? Unlikely," I muttered, doodling on my page. "Speaking of which, is Sehun a good kisser?"

All at once Sujin's cheeks flame red and her eyes widen.

"You can't be asking me these things!" She squeaks. When I stare at her expectantly, she looks down and fiddles with her pen. A grudging smile fills her features, "He's decent I suppose."

"Decent?" I laugh, "He's more then that judging from your reaction."

"Yah yah yah you need your own kissing life so you can leave mine alone," Sujin rolls her eyes.

I slump back in my seat,

"I don't know what to do," I sigh. "Maybe he is just being nervous. But this whole seducing him idea seems a bit much just for a kiss."

"Come on," Sujin coaxes, "It'll be fun! Just imagine driving him crazy until he just can't resist you anymore!"

The image of Jongin's dark lustful gaze looking at me while he bites his lip makes me tingle all over. And to think that I had made him react like that, made him want me.

"This could be fun," I smirk, tapping my pen against the table.

"What could be fun?"

I look up. Jongin and Sehun have suddenly appeared beside out table. Sehun's wearing a white jumper with black jeans and a striped beany hat on his head. Jongin's dressed in black jeans too with a black t-shirt.

"Are black tshirts the only colour you own?" I say. Partly because it annoys me that they always look so damn good.

"Why?" He looks down and a slight blush tinges his cheeks. "Don't they look nice?"

"No they don't," I stick my tongue out to let him no I'm joking. He smiles and raises an eyebrow as if to say, oh you thought that was funny huh?

"What are you guys doing here?" Sujin asks. She's positively glowing now that Sehun's in the vicinity.

"I came to pick you up," Sehun says shyly. "I thought we could get something to eat since you've been studying hard."

"That would be great," Sujin agrees happily.

It's so cute it makes me want to cry. I turn to glare at Jongin wanting to say, why can't you be like that?

"Don't get excited, I didn't come to pick you up." He smirks.

"I didn't want you to pick me up." I snap.

"Oh really? That's a shame because I really did come to get you." He looks down and nibbles his lip.

"Really?" I say, surprised.

"Nope." He smiles cheerfully.

I give him a look that could turn milk sour.

"Well then would you kindly leave then" I fold my arms, "Some of us have studying to do."

"Are you implying that majoring in dance doesn't require any studying?" Jongin's eyes widen and he turns to Sehun, "Man I think she's trying to say we don't study. Back me up here."

"Oh no you're on your own here," Sehun says hastily, seeing my glare.

"Oh it's like that?" Jongin raises an eyebrows. Sehun thinks for a moment.

"Yep it's like that." He says finally clapping a hand on Jongin's shoulder. He laughs at the offended look on his friends face but waving his arm at me to say goodbye.

"See you later," Sujin says, making a 'call me' motion behind Jongin's back. Then she leaves the library with Sehun, hand in hand while he slings her bag of books on his shoulder.

"They look so good together," I say wistfully.

"They do," Jongin smiles.

"So what are you actually doing here?" I ask as he settles himself on the table.

"No I actually really did come to get you," Jongin grins, "It's getting dark outside so I figured you should walk with someone."

"Oh you!" I say, poking his cheek. He ducks away trying to hide his red cheeks. "Thanks, I really appreciate it."

"Don't get used to it, I'm not your slave," He says, eyes narrowing.

"Really?" I say, my eyes widening, "I could have sworn that's the only reason we hang out…"

"Yah," He laughs, slapping my arm.

"Oh-" I say, suddenly remembering, "How did the meeting with the business guy go?"

"It was great. It’s going to be this Saturday! We sorted everything out and what songs we’ll be doing. He’s going to be paying us around 350,000 each.” His eyes are shinning at the prospect of money.

I give a low whistle,

“That’s a lot of money. I bet you guys are going to blow the whole thing in one go.”

“No,” He protests, “Come on we’re all responsible adults here. Even though Chanyeol was saying something about a night out afterwards…”

“You see!” I stick my tongue out at him. I pull the pieces of papers in front of me and go back to searching for a quote to use in my essay. When there’s a prolonged period of silence I look up and see Jongin poking at his lips, his nose wrinkled in thought.

“What’s on your mind?” I put down my pen, “Come on, spit it out.”

“How’d you know something’s on my mind?” He raises his eyebrows.

“I just know you too well,” I flick his arm, “So go on then, tell me what you’re thinking about.”

“Well…The guy gave us six tickets so we could each bring someone with us. So I was just wondering if maybe you were free that night.”

“Really? You want to give me your ticket? Don’t you want any of your family there?” I say, my heart pounding.

Jongin shakes his head,

“The only person I’d want there is my Dad and he can’t actually come. And anyway, you said you were my biggest fan right?” He nudges my arm.

“I am,” I say quickly, “I was just checking there wasn’t anyone more important that you wanted to come.”

“More important?” Jongin says quietly. “Why are you underestimating your importance to me?”

“It’s not that I’m underestimating…”

“Good,” Jongin interrupts firmly, “Because you shouldn’t do that. You are a VIPTJ.”

“A VIPTJ? What’s that?” I say in confusion, my eye brows furrowing.

“A Very Important Person To Jongin,” He smiles, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. “Be honoured; it’s not easy to get that position with me. So don’t forget it.”

 

Over the next few days the boys practically live at the jazz club, practising hard and perfecting everything. They ban me and Sujin from coming to watch,

“What’s the point of coming to the performance if you’re going to watch the rehearsals?” Jongin rolls his eyes, flicking my forehead.

“If you come then I’ll just get distracted and we won’t give a good performance,” Sehun says to Sujin.

“But I’d really like to see it,” She mumbles, her eyes downcast.

“I know baby,” Sehun cups her face and delivers a kiss to her forehead. “But it will be worth the wait.”

I want to die at how sweet he is. While I’m stuck with Mr Flick-My-Forehead. I turn my eyes on Jongin who’s standing listening to Suho. He looks up as if he can feel my eyes on his and his lips break out into a killer smile.

As the butterflies once again crowd my stomach, I realise how much I would like for us to be together. I want to be Jongin’s girl, I want us to have what Sujin and Sehun have. Something’s telling me that Jongin has feelings for me, all the signs are pointing in the right direction. So what could be holding him back?

Could it really be nerves?

I tilt my head to the side and survey him as he laughs with his friends, taking a swig of water from a bottle and then nearly chocking when Kyungsoo makes him laugh.

Then I remember how he had a girl in his apartment only an hour after we first met.

"I'm so sorry Ara ,I completely forget," Jongin says, "My friend came over to see my new place."

Has he been messing around with me?

“Sometimes I don't think straight and get carried away.”

Am I just something you’re getting carried away with right now?

My eyes narrow. I’m growing more and more suspicious by the minute.

 “Yah Kim Jongin are you playing with me?” I say quietly to myself, watching him.

If you are then you better watch out.

This is a game that two people can play.

-------------

No one messes with Ara.