Act 1: Friends Forever

Love Within Joseon

Terms Used in Story:

Giasengs House - Mens pleasure place/ e Place

Hanbok - A general men and women traditional Joseon clothing

Joseon - A dynasty that was Korea

************************************************************************************************************************

The giasengs* house was surrounded with glorious women. Every women had an irresistable smile that would have made men fall head over heels for them. Every courtesan had a colorful hanbok* , which made each one of them unique by expressing their nature about life. Lips of the giasengs were bright red with shimmers in them. The giasengs house itself was the only source of bright light during night time in Joseon* which was powered by red lanterns that hung around the every tiled roof. This place was the only place where men had highly satisfaction, and this was the only place where Crown Prince Yi Gong did not enjoy, 

Yi Gong, Shi Wan, and Wol Ru sat in a room where giasengs would be serving them privately. The room was beautiful on outside, but the inside was nothing but like a commoner house. There was only a shined wooden table with desserts and rice wine on top of it. The table was located in the middle of the room. Yi Gong and Wol Ru sat next to each other beside the table while Shi Wan sat alone in the corner with rice wine in the dinking gourd in his hand with his head down. 

" My friend Shi Wan ah....., why don't you come and enjoy these wine over here with us. Your wine and our wine taste the same. Come... come over here. " The drunk Wol Ru said to his lonely friend who sat at the corner alone. 

" Mind your own business! Don't bother me, understand! " Shi Wan replied back while trying to stand up and head over to the table where Yi Gong and Wol Ru was.

The conversation between Shi Wan and Wol Ru made Yi Gong anxious because he was scared that they both might start a big fight in the giaseng house like the one that had happened six months ago. Yi Gong knew that even though all three of them are childhood friend, Wol Ru and Shi Wan did not get along with each other, the only one that ties them together was Yi Gong. Yi Gong then stood up and went into the middle between Wol Ru and Shi Wan, and by now Shi Wan was already standing up properly with a fist on his hand while Wol Ru was still sitting beside the table smiling at Shi Wan. 

" Wol Ru, Shi Wan, don't make a big mess in the giaseng house or else our reputation will be damage! And please heed this as the Crown Prince order, and  who ever disobeys it will be highly punished!" Yi Gong said with a pretended anger in his voice in order to prevent a fight between his two childhood friends. 

Wol Ru and Shi Wan suddenly looked at each other after the comment of Crown Prince Yi Gong and started to laugh uncontrollable. Wol Ru laughed so hard that he went rolling on the hard ground with tears in his eys while Shi Wan managed to control his laugh with a loud cough. Not knowing about the absurd action that had happen, Yi Gong threw a fit by yelling at both of them while pointing his hand at both of them.

" What is it that you guys keep on laughing about!?!?! " 

" It's you!! The prince that always take stuff so serious! " Wol Ru and Shi Wan responded to the Yi Gong at the same time with a smile on their face. 

The Crown Prince thought for a minute and then he surely understood what they both were doing the whole time. 

" Yah! It is not good to play around with the future King like that. This act that had happen can be punished severely! " Yi Gong said with a rage voice.

The harsh lecture from Yi Gong made Shi Wan and Wol Ru turned into a quick panick because they didn't want to have a troubles with the royal family. And because they didn't want to have trouble with the royal family, they both quickly got into action and begged for the Crown Prince forgiveness. 

Wol Ru was on the ground hanging on to the Crown Prince hanbok while begging, " Your royal highness, please forgive me for the absurd action. Just let me go this time. " Wol Ru then paused and then pointed one of his finger at Shi Wan and the other hand still clinging onto Yi Gong's hanbok, " It was Shi Wan's idea of trying to play around with you. I wasn't involve with the idea at all!" Wol Ru said to Yi Gong. 

Shi Wan gave an akward look at Wol Ru and then kneeled down begging forgiveness from Yi Gong without clinging on to Yi Gong, but with a clear and sincere mature voice, " I am sorry your highness, however, I am the one not to be blame. It was Wol Ru idea to act out a play in front of you in order to see how much you actually care about the realationship between Wol Ru and I. Please consider the punishment that you are planning to give to us. " 

Not being confused, Yi Gong yanked off Wol Ru grasped from his baji and walked towards Shi Wan who was only a couple steps away from him. Yi Gong then raised Shi Wan up by the shoulder with a grin on his face followed by a pat on the shoulder. Shi Wan looked at Yi Gong and Yi Gong looked at Shi Wan with proud eyes. 

" I am the future King of Joseon! I shall heed the words of my subjects and observe each words carefully." Yi Gong said with determination while walking back and forth in the crowded room. " It seems to me that my subject, Shi Wan, has given me the true information, unlike Wol Ru who blamed Shi Wan." 

Wol Ru again emerged into action into hanging onto Yi Gong's hanbok begging for forgiveness, and because of his grasped, Yi Gong stopped walking back and forth in the crowded room. 

" However, I shall not seek out any punishment towards my only true friends that have grown up with me. This time I will forgive Wol Ru who had played around with the Crown Prince mind. " Yi Gong said with the widest smile on his face. 

Wol Ru rised from begging on the ground and hugged Yi Gong with joy and excitement. " Thank You so much your highness! In the future I will support you when you are King of Joseon! Shi Wan and I will both support you. Right, Shi Wan? " Wol Ru asked Shi Wan with a grin on his face. 

Still standing, Shi Wan mumbled, " Uhh.... Yes Your highness, I will support you wiht all my might." 

Yi Gong laughed loudly at Shi Wan response, and then broke free from Wol Ru's hug, in order to walk towards Shi Wan who was still standing with a blank face. " Shi Wan ahh.. you are my best friend, when I become King, I hope you won't betray me. " Following that statement, Yi Gong grasped Shi Wan's shoulder. Wol Ru then came over and grasped Yi Gong's shoulder making a statement, " I think Your Highness should go back to the palace.  It is getting late. " Wol Ru then let go of the grasped and said in a yawning voice, " Oh how I wish Han Eun Sae can be found in this giasengs house." 

 

Yi Gong walked alone towards the palace in which he grew up in ever since he was little. When he reached the giant palce gates where guards guarded, he saw a young beautiful Miss that was dressed in a silk hanbok who seems to be around her 19's in a front of the palace gates gasping. He continued to walk towards the guard that guarded the huge palace gate to show him his identity in order to let him into the palace, however, the young beautiful Miss distracted his action. Yi Gong then turned back and walked towards the beautiful but yet devistated young miss and asked her, " Is there a problem that you would like to tell me about. I might be able to help."

The young Miss looked at Yi Gong with a warm smile on her face and replied nicely, " My father is a prime minister in the palace court and he told my mother and I that he won't be coming home late today. So I decided that I should come to the palace myself and wait for him until he comes out, and then we can go back home together. " 

Yi Gong thought about the young Miss answer because Prime Ministers in the palace court are not suppose to stay in the palace this late. He got suspicious of the young Miss dad, and so he began to interrogate the young Miss again. 

" What is your father's name?" 

" I am not sure if I can tell you every information about my family. So please continue your way onto the palace young Master." The young Miss said to Yi Gong. 

" I am a royal palace guard in the palace. I just want to know your father's name in case I might have seen him somewhere else. Because if you have not notice, Prime Minister of the palace court are not allow to stay in the palace this late. It is almost curfew time, only the royal family can stay up beyond the curfew time." 

The young Miss observed Yi Gong for a second by looking at Yi Gong's outfit ( he was dressed in a light blue men's silk hanbok with a black gat hat), and then she gave him an answer, " My father Han Ho Suk. In the palace they call him Prime Minister Han."

         

Yi Gong have heard of the Prime Minister Han before. Prime Minister Han was the most wealthiest man in Joseon besides the King and the most benevolent among all noble men. Yi Gong had also heard about Prime Minister Han only daughter throughout the whole eight children of his. There were rumors that Prime Minister Han's daughter was the beauty of Joseon, and that the man who gets to marry her will become the most luckiest man in the world. In fact, the rumors appeared to be true. 

Yi Gong made a loud cough in order to get the young Miss to look at him. The young Miss did exactly what he had planned. And so Yi Gong started to talk with her although it seemed like she didn't want to talk to him. 

" By hearing your father's name, I guess that you are his highly praised daughter, Han Eun Sae. " 

" Indeed that is my name, but, how do you know my name? " Eun Sae asked the smiling Yi Gong

" Your name is heard in the palace and in the markets. How could I not have heard about you and your father? Everywhere I go, I hear praises about your beauty, but it seem that those rumors are false. " Yi Gong in order to see her reaction of his harsh words for a girl. 

" It is to your opinion to judge me. All I know is that I am a daughter from the Han clan, and that I am suppose to respect my ancestors and carry on my duty as a woman." Eun Sae said with a dtermined voice and with a pair of proud eyes. 

In response, Yi Gong said with an entertaining spirit " Since you know your duty as a girl, what kind of men do you look for, and how many kids would you want?" 

Eun Sae stared at Yi Gong's face and replied, " I am a daughter of Prime Minister Han, I must keep my stuff to myself. Please, continue what you were doing before you talked to me."

Knowing that Han Eun Sae is a beauty and  a intelligent girl, Yi Gong finally felt satisfaction from a rumor. Since Yi Gong felt that it was getting darker outside, he obeyed Eun Sae's demand and continued towards the guards that guard the palace gates. After revealing his identity to the guard with a jade seal that said " Crown Prince Yi Gong of Joseon ", the guards opened the palace gates in a quickness. Before Yi Gong stepped foot beyond the palace gates, he turned his face back at Eun Sae and said with a smile, " Go home young Miss. Don't wait for your dad because he is at the giasengs' house." After the statement, Yi Gong turned around and finallt stepped foot beyond the palace gates. As the guards started to close the giant gates, Yi Gong can see from the corner of his eyes, the beautiful Han Eun Sae. 

*************************************************************

Author's Note:

I am so sorry if I cannot explain the traditional clothes correctly. So in order for me to simplify it, is to just address them by " men hanbok" and "women hanbok", and I have put some photos of what the clothes are suppose to look like in the story. ( Those are the main characters by the way. :) )