Broken

Broken

 

The ambulance takes the body away from the bickering crowd that has formed outside the apartment. There are shocked reactions all around but no one seems to know what happened exactly. His body was found by a neighbor that nocked his front door to ask for some sugar, he didn't expect to find the lifeless body of the young boy on the couch; a bottle of pills to his feet, empty. The state of his apartment was disturbing with clothes all over the floor and a small suitcase with a few shirts placed inside in a mess as if he was trying to leave in a hurry, dirty dishes on the sink but most perturbing was the sight of blood stained on the carpet, blood that according to the police was not his own.

 

Junhong, the neighbor who found the body tells the police that althought the young man used to be lively and well mannered he became cold and violent towards everybody so suddenly that it took everyone by surprise. Eventually everyone leaves and tries to forget what happened there, everyone except Jonhong who still has one more thing to do, because he promised him, not the dead young man that is on everyone's mouth right now but his best friend moon Jong up. Jongup gave him the small box weeks before, he came to his apartment looking weary with bags under his eyes and told him that when the time was right he was to deliver the box to someone, thinking of it now junhong realizes that was a big hint that something was awfully wrong.

 

Junhong examines the box in detail, it's painted with a light brown color, a simple H carved on the bottom corner. There is card taped to the bottom with an address on it, it must be the place he has to deliver it to. He takes a bus and walks a few blocks and arrives without difficulty to the address in the little wood box, it's a pretty normal neighborhood but it's too quiet for his liking, almost deserted. He prepares to knock on the door but he doesn't have to because at that time the door opens just to have someone drop at cup full of some strange liquid out in the street and splashing junhong's shoes in the process. There is something peculiar in the way this stranger looks at him, or rather they way his eyes look; it's the same look jongup carried with him sometimes, the same lost look.

 

Junhong presents him with the small box but the stranger does not acknowledge his presence but there's something familiar about this guy and junhong doesn't like it one bit.

"I have something for you, my friend said to give this to you" Junhong presses the box to his hands because he's not sure the stranger is paying attention to him. This guy seems to be older than jongup, he has a sharp jawline but he's not very tall and he's too skinny to be considered healthy. As expected this guy doesn't pay much attention to it and just closes the door to his apartment again. This little action makes junhong feel angry, why doesn't he care about the container of the box? Jong up obviously appreciated him enough to leave him something so why?

 

Thinking about jongup gives junhong enough confidence to turn the knob separating himself from that jerk but what he finds inside is not something he's prepared for. His place resembles jongup's a lot; the thick scent, the untidiness, and all kinds of wrong, then he sees it, the white powder resting on the table and he loses it. He jumps at the older guy with all his might it's easier because the stranger doesn't put up a fight, he's probably too high to know what's happening.

 

"jongup was a nice guy and you ruined him...you ruined him with your twisted ways" Junhong half screams half cries. Jongup's name seems to have an effect on the stranger because he punches junhong, it's not a very good punch but it's enough to throw him off guard.

"jongup wanted it.... he did..... jong...." pain and confusion run through the stranger's face, he's trembling, he's moving uncontrollably all over the place.

"I told him to leave me ALONE.....he said..he said he'll make things better... he'll leave me alone for good....HE COULDN'T CONTROL IT.....I had to.....he was getting me in trouble" Then Junhong remembers why this guy was so familiar, his voice reminded him, he heard them arguing a lot from his apartment, he was only next door so naturally he could hear if they were loud enough. He heard the laughs, the late night sing a longs, it was when jongup started to distance  himself from everyone, even him then along came the fighting and the pleading more constantly each day.

 

"I can assure you he's not going to bother you anymore. That person has died, he killed himself so consider yourself lucky" junhong spat the word lucky as if it was venom then he proceed to open the boy, inside there were pictures of themselves where they seemed happy like two very different people, two rings, and a note from jongup along with one last object. Junhong threw the containers of the box at the stranger guy, leaving for good and trying to forget it all because it was to painful even for him.  

 

Alone in his little world, the stranger picked up the pictures from the floor, tears threatening to fall out, back when they were happy, no back when jongup was happy, even then he was too broken to be happy, he touched the rings, couple rings with his thumb, remembering how he told jongup they were childish when he first bought them and finally reached for the note. The handwriting was messy but you could tell what it said, it had little dots imprinted on it, tears most definitely.

'I'm going on a journey, a trip where happiness and ecstasy are waiting for me like just like you always said. I'll finally find peace' 

 

grabbing the last object on his right hand, the stranger let's his tears fall, he punches the wall and breaks down, he's going to live the rest of his life as a drug addict and a killer, his trophy? grasping between his fingers is the bottle that he once gave to jongup's with his favorite pills; vertigo, the pills that killed him of an overdose.