X

Long Road Home
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Morning.

 

It made itself known by the sun peeking over the horizon, announcing that the night had ended. It, slowly but surely, erased the darkness with light in warm colors, replacing the dark blues with pinks and oranges and the black with yellows and whites. The clouds had long since disappeared; all but only a few wispy tufts remained. 

 

The sun reassured that the storm was over, showcasing the departure of the night's previous storm as it headed west and away from the big city of Incheon. People were seen coming out of their homes, and staring up at the sky. They smiled at the sight, but it was short-lived. They then grimaced and rushed back inside, shaking themselves off and rubbing their arms.

 

The grey was chased away, but not without leaving a bittersweet goodbye. A dense mugginess made its debut this morning, heavily bearing itself on anyone the humidity could touch. Even the tallest trees seemed to bow over with the added weight. Drops of water would even descend from their leaves, dropping to the earth below. The sticky air clung to people, ruining any chanceof theirs of looking decent for the day. However, from the safety of the inside of a building, this morning was a pretty sight. The water droplets that hung in the air would catch the sunlight, giving the city a whimsical atmosphere. The sun also reflected off of the layer of dew that was painted across the grass. It shone in the morning light in its own subtle, crystalline beauty.

 

The sun invaded homes in wallpapered enlightenment. It teased the sleepy eyes of the people stirring from their not-so-easy sleep. It crept into factories and buildings with slow arrival. All-nighters looked up in surprise, their bloodshot eyes wary. The sun's rays also touched up the leather or plush interiors of vehicles, not forgetting to make visible the leftover raindrops from last night. They covered the windshields, and a few drops of water would occasionally come tumbling downward, becoming too heavy for gravity.

 

Except for one car. On this car, the raindrops of yesterday were thrown and blown off as a car rolled down the road. The speed suggested that the owner was running late for something, or eager to get somewhere, and fast. Unfortunately for them, Incheon was a busy city, and they were soon stuck in traffic. The owner honked their car's horn in distaste as they pounded the dash impatiently. Several cars returned the honk, and traffic resumed. The car sped on and sped past all the rest, until they reached their destination. 

 

For a moment, and after all of the commotion this driver had made previously, they stopped and stared. They leaned back in their seat after parking their car, hands resting over the top of the wheel.

 

The hospital was certainly big, and they made note of it as their big brown eyes scaled the exterior.

 

It was very simple, really. He had one job: go to the reception desk, ask for the room number of his friend, find the elevator or climb up god knows how many flights of stairs, and see his friend. He then made a face; it was actually more than one job--it was more like four-- but there was one goal:

 

Find Byun Baekhyun. 

 

I just hope she's not there, or there will be some big trouble that I personally don't want to go through. He sighed, before stepping out of the car and making his way across the dewy lawn, making gigantic footprints in the grass.

 

 

 

Light filtered through plastic curtains. It snuck its way into the hospital room with pastel enlightenment. The white walls began to glow a faint orange as the sun bounced off of them. It lit up the bedsheets, the leather chair, the television which was turned off, pallor skin and dark hair. Baekhyun was sound asleep, as was Jiyeon. She had fallen asleep in the chair next to his bed, and her upper half rested on the bed. Her hand was in his, and even through sleep she held on to it tightly. He did not return the gesture.

 

The sunlight pierced through Jiyeon's lids and she frowned, opening her eyes. She squinted at the sudden brightness, but slowly began to stir. Her back cracked as she sat up, and she winced at the discomfort as she began to stretch. She looked

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter