Gym

One Monday

“Joon!” an older boy called as they walked out of the changing rooms in their gym clothes. He ran over to them, a ball in his hands. “Ready to play?”

“Yeah, you ready to lose?” Joon grinned.

“I’ve got Thunder today. You’re finally going to meet your match.”

Joon’s grin faded, but was replaced with a larger one. “Well I have Mir for the day and you know what they call him on the field? Black Death. Beat that, Seungho.”

Seungho looked from Joon to Mir then back again. “Alright. We’ll see you on the field.”

Once Seungho was out of earshot, Mir looked at Joon. “Joonie-hyung, no one calls me that.”

Joon smiled. “I know, I was trying to psych him out. It’s alright.”

Mir shook his head. “Joon, you don’t understand. I can’t play. I’m really bad...I’ll probably die out there.”

“I’ll protect you.” Joon said with a wink before running off onto the field.

“Protect me..?” Mir stood there for a moment, his face turning red, before running after him.

Joon took center field; Mir was placed on right defense. The boy in front of Mir was a popular senior boy he recognized as G.O.. He didn’t recognize anyone else on his team, only knew Seungho on the other side.

The coach said something Mir couldn’t hear and then Joon moved forwards to meet another boy in the center of the field. The other boy had black hair and a friendly smile as he approached Joon.

“Good luck, Joon.”

“Good luck, Thunder.”

The coach then blew the whistle, throwing up the ball.

Both boys darted towards it at incredible speeds, but Joon got to it first. Within five minutes, Joon had scored the first goal. Next it was Thunder’s turn. He sprinted forwards, straight towards Mir. Not knowing what to do, Mir ran straight into Thunder’s path in an attempt to block him.

“Mir, move!” Joon yelled and next thing Mir knew, he was on the ground. Something hit him. Looking up, he saw his assailant’s face. Joon.

“Joon-hyung?” Mir mumbled, confused. What just happened?

Thunder jogged over. “Is he alright?” he asked, his voice filled with worry.

Joon nodded. “I got him out of the way…Coach, mind if I bring him to the nurse?”

Mir could hear the coaches annoyed grunt, then Joon’s thanks.

“Come on Mir.” Joon murmured, picking the younger boy up bridal style and carrying him off of the field. Mir lay in Joon’s arms, still confused.

“Joonie-hyung, what happened?” “You ran straight into the path of Thunder’s kick. The ball almost hit your head.” Joon replied, shaking his head. “What were you thinking? It probably would’ve knocked you out.”

Mir bit his lip. “I don’t know. I didn’t want to disappoint you.”

Joon sighed stopped walking, only they weren’t at the nurses office. “Get in.”

Mir looked around. They were in the student parking lot, next to the gym and field, next to a car. “Who’s is this?”

“Mine. I just leave it here in case of emergencies.” Joon shrugged. “Or in case it rains or snows. I would not walk in that.”

Mir nodded and got into the passenger side of the sleek black vehicle. It was spotlessly clean, even though the interior was paper white. He quickly put on his seatbelt and looked over to Joon in the driver’s side. He was already belted in, looking at Mir. Once their eyes met, Mir looked away.

“Do you want me to drop you off at your house?” Joon asked, pulling out of the parking lot.

Mir shook his head. “I can’t. I forgot my keys.” he said, staring out the window. “Would you mind if I stayed with you until my parents get home?”

“Alright.” Joon said, then immediately began mentally yelling at himself. Joon! What are you thinking! You know how annoying he is! And you’re letting him follow you around all day?! What’s wrong with you? What would Key think….Key. The anniversary. Crap.

“Actually, Mir, I have to go shopping.” He sighed. Joon hated spending money.

Mir turned to Joon, his eyes bright. “That’s okay, we can go together! I can help you.”

Joon looked at Mir’s excited face and he couldn’t say no. They ended up going to a small jewelry store in the southern side of the city.

“Joonie! Look at these!” Mir called from across the store. The manager girl giggled, she had been watching the two.

“Which ones?” Joon asked, a slight blush on his cheeks as he walked over to Mir.

The younger boy pointed to two beautiful white gold rings with Latin words engraved inside.

“What does it say?” Joon asked the manager. Ab imo pectore.

“From the bottom of my heart.” she smiled, taking the rings out of the large glass case to let them have a closer look.

Joon gave her a breathtaking smile. “Thank you. We’ll take this one.” he said, handing her the rings.

She walked to the back of the store to box them and Joon hugged Mir lightly. “Thank you Mireu, for helping me.”

Mireu? Mir’s heart melted. “Anytime, Joonie. It was really fun.”

The woman returned with two small white boxes and the two boys paid for the presents and left the store.

“Leeteuk will love it.” Mir grinned as they got back to Joon’s car.

Joon nodded. “He will. So will Kangin.” he chuckled, happy with the way the day turned out.

Mir was actually making good conversation, Joon wasn’t annoyed with him at all. He found he actually liked being with Mir. “You want to go out for ice cream?”