The Change

One Monday

“Joon-ah, wake up. You have to get ready for school.” A soft, angelic voice called him. It was Monday, the worst day of the week. It always brought accidents and embarrassing moments for Lee Joon. He groaned and rolled over, not wanting to face whatever the day had in store for him. Oh, how he hates Mondays.

“Joonie, come on. I don’t want to fight with you.” Joon growled at the voice, but sat up, glaring at its source.

The source of the voice was his father, Leeteuk, golden and radiant as always. He looked very similar to Joon himself, except for their smiles and Joon’s dyed-red hair. His father was standing next to him, giving him his famous dimpled smile.

“Morning Joonie, I made pancakes.” Joon simply groaned again, getting out of bed. His father’s cooking was absolutely awful in comparison to his partner, Kangin’s. As a gay parent, most of Joon’s friends assumed his feminine father, Leeteuk, could cook and his bear-like father couldn’t. Once they came over and tasted the stuff, they never were mistaken again. Kangin, on the other hand, was really good at cooking if he put the effort into it.

“Where’s Key?” Joon asked while getting his uniform out of the closet.

“Downstairs already. He helped me make breakfast.” Joon made a humming noise in response. His brother could cook. Even if he was the youngest in the house, he still cooked the best. If Key made sure Leeteuk didn’t burn everything today, perhaps it would be a good breakfast.

“Teukie!” another voice boomed from downstairs. “Come here! I have a present for you!”

Leeteuk chuckled and ruffled Joon’s hair. “That’s my cue. Coming Youngwoon!” he yelled back, then ran off, leaving Joon alone in his room.

He sighed at the quiet peacefulness that surrounded him. It didn’t happen often. He quickly changed into his school uniform then brushed his hair before going downstairs.

“Morning Joon!” his younger brother Key called from the kitchen.

“Morning.” He replied, slowly making his way to the dining room table. He was always groggy in the mornings, especially at six. He sat down at the table and began to feel more awake due to the delicious smells flooding into his nostrils. The table had already been decorated with several platters of food. Eggs, bacon, pancakes, muffins, fruit- Joon’s mouth dropped.

“I’ve been cooking all morning.” Key laughed, brushing a stray golden hair from his face. “It’s for Teukie and Kanginnie’s anniversary. Don’t tell me you forgot?”

Joon’s mouth snapped shut. Key could read people too well. “I’ll get them something afterschool.”

Key nodded. It was better than nothing.

The two brothers quickly finished their breakfast and walked to school. They both attended the same high school- Choi academy. It was the closest school to their house, only two blocks away. Key was enrolled as a sophomore, Joon as a senior. They entered through the tall gates of the academy and were immediately tackled by a blonde boy.

“Hey guys! I missed you so much! Where were you all weekend?” he laughed, helping them up.

Key rolled his eyes at the boy. “Joon was asleep. I was shopping.”

The boy shrugged. “You could’ve texted me. I would’ve tagged along.” He said, pouting a bit. “I was bored all weekend.”

Key smiled at his friend before turning to Joon. “Well Joon- Wait. Where did Joon go?” he said, realizing his older brother had disappeared.

Joon had walked off as soon as he could. He hated talking to Key’s friends, especially his best friend- Mir. They had been best friends since kindergarten. Key was bossy and Mir was willing to be bossed around. They wreaked havoc on the playground and were always getting into trouble. It was a rarity to see Mir without Key or vice versa. Once they were inseparable, Joon avoided them at all cost. Mir was the neediest, most childish person he knew. And Mir was oblivious to this.

“Joonie-hyung! Where are you going?” Mir called, jogging after him.

Joon tried to ignore him by picking up the pace, but failed. He stopped and turned around to fully face the boy. “I’m going to class.” He said simply before turning back around.

As he took a few steps forward, he could hear them echoing. Mir was still following him.

“Mir.” Joon sighed, turning around to face him again. “I’m going to class. You need to go to your own.”

Mir pouted. “I don’t want to go.” He said, crossing his arms.

Joon frowned. He hated bratty kids. “You have to go. It isn’t optional.”

“I can’t go though.”

“Why not?” Joon was on his last string of patience. He better have an extraordinary reason.

“There are bullies.”

Joon’s heart stopped. Bullies were a touchy subject for him. When he was younger, his classmates would pick on him for being a shy and quiet kid. He never forgot the feeling of the constant insults. It had gotten to the point where the older kids would beat Joon until he bled, which is where his parents finally stepped in. He never forgot the pain and never would.

Looking at the innocent, wide eyed Mir, he couldn’t just let him go through the same thing. No one stood up for Joon, but he would stand up for Mir.

“Alright. Come on then. I have gym.” The older boy said, a small smile appearing on his lips.

Mir squeaked in surprise. Joon was letting him come along? And he smiled at him? “Thank you.” He said, returning the smile and following Joon to gym.

~♥~