The Helpful Helper

The Helpful Helper

Laila opened the front entrance to the music company she worked for.  She was nothing more than an intern, assigned the most meaningless and simple tasks, but she knew that if she ever wanted to move up in the company she had to start at the bottom.

She went to the office area, prepared for another day of organizing files, taking coffee orders and running errands.  She found her boss running around his office, worry evident on his face.

"Sir?"  She asked.

Her boss looked up at her, suddenly grinning.  "Laila!  I'm so glad to see you!"

Laila clutched her purse nervously.  What did that mean?  "Sir, is everything alright?"

"No," Her boss sighed.  "One of our artists got hurt today.  His hand got caught in a car door, and he broke it."

"Oh no!"  Laila explained.  "Will he be okay?"

"Yes, his fingers will heal.  Unfortunately, he's going to have to be on break from all group activities for a couple weeks to recover.  And that is where you come," Her boss put his hands on her shoulders, looking seriously at her face, "Laila, we need someone to take care of him for two weeks.  He only has the use of one hand, so he will need someone to change his bandages, make sure he eats properly, just to be sure he is okay while the rest of his group and managers are gone.  Do you think you can handle that?"

Laila nodded.  "Whatever you need me to do, sir."  Inside, she was excited.  This might be the perfect opportunity to prove herself to her boss, and maybe be able to get a word from one of the group's artists to one of the upper levels of power at the company.  Plus, there was only one male group at the company, and she was a fan of B.A.P., so that was always a bonus.

Her boss grinned even more.  "Great.  Here are the directions to their dorm, their manager's contact information in case of emergency, their dorm key, and the list of supplies you will need to pick up on your way.  I knew you would be up for this, so I already told their managers that you would be there.  I'll see you in two weeks."

And with that, Laila was on her way back out the door and to the store, clutching her instructions.

After picking up the things on her list, she arrived at the door to B.A.P.'s dorm.  She was a little nervous, but she tried to hold her head up confidently.  She took one last breath and then unlocked the door.

The dorm was messy, as expected of a dorm lived in by a group of guys.  She made her way to the coffee table, shoving magazines and snack food wrappers out of the way so she could put her stuff down.  Then she stood up, before realizing an important detail that her boss had forgotten to mention.

Who was she taking care of exactly?

She groaned, suddenly realizing that she had never gotten a name.  Well, no matter.  She would just introduce herself to whoever was here.

She looked at the doors around the dorm that led to various rooms, before noticing that there was loud  music coming from one of the rooms.

She went over to it and knocked, but there was no answer.  She knocked again, still no answer.  She tried the doorknob, discovering that the door unlocked.  She slowly opened it and peeked her head in.

"Hello?"  She asked.  "I'm..eek!"  She froze, staring at the man in front of her.

Of course she recognized him as Himchan.  But she was too busy staring at the fact that he was shirtless, sorting through some cds on his desk with one hand, the other cradled in a cast.  He spun around at the noise.

"What the heck!"  He shouted.  "Who are you?"

Laila was blushing, trying to figure out what to do, but her mind went blank at the sight of Himchan's glorious (in her opinion) abs.

But Himchan was getting mad.  "Hey, I asked you a question?  Who are you?"

Laila finally gathered her thoughts, swallowed, and said, "I'm...well, I'm Laila.  The company assigned me to take care of you until your fingers heal and you can return to work."

Himchan frowned, but looked a little less concerned.  "I don't need a nurse.  But if they told you to come, could you make me a smoothie?  I can't cut the fruit on my own.  Thanks."  And with that, Himchan turned back to his cds.

Laila stared at him with open, shocked.  A smoothie?  What was she, a waitress?  But she knew that her job was to take care of him, and if he wanted a smoothie while he recovered, then a smoothie was what he would get.

She went to the kitchen and began scouring among the random bits of food and dirty dishes for anything resembling a fruit.  When she finally found the ingredients needed she got to work.

When the smoothie was made, she headed back to Himchan's bedroom, knocking once before entering.  Himchan was now on his bed, reading the back of a cd, still shirtless mind you, and Laila found herself swallowing more than usual.

Himchan glanced up at her, and then perked up.  "Finally, a smoothie!"  He stood up and grabbed it out of her hand, taking a big gulp of it.  "Thanks."

She watched him lay back on the bed.  "Um, you're welcome.  Anything else I can help with?"

Himchan shook his head, concentrating on his smoothie.  "Not now."

"Okay."  She nodded, but he was ignoring her, so Laila turned and left.

She busied herself with sorting out the supplies she had purchased, and then she ended up cleaning the living room just because she got bored.  Himchan never called her and seemed quite content to stay in his room with loud music playing.

Eventually Laila's phone reminded her that it was time to change Himchan's bandages, so she knocked on his door and peeked her head in.  He was messing with his phone when he looked up at her.  Laila waved the bandages in her hand.

"I have to change your bandages now," She explained.  He sighed but nodded.  She brought her bag of tools in and sat on his bed beside him.  He held out his hand and put his head in his other hand, watching her.

As she worked, Laila remained focused on she task, so she jumped slightly when she suddenly found his face right next to hers.  Laila leaned, staring at him.  "Um, can I help you?"  She asked.

He smirked a little.  "You have pretty eyes, has anyone ever told you that?"  

Laila felt herself blushing and refocused her gaze on his hand.  "Thank you," She said quietly.

After a moment of silence, he said, "Does your boyfriend appreciate your eyes?"

Laila almost dropped the tool she was holding.  "Um, no, I don't have a boyfriend."

She looked up at him briefly to find his head tilted to the side and his eyes with a mischievous twinkle.  "Really?  How interesting."

Laila was not sure how she was supposed to take that, so she just ignored him and focused on her work.

Finally, she finished changing his bandage and leaned back, relieved.  She glanced at him and found her eyes roaming down to his chest.  How could he be so comfortable without a shirt on?  She wondered, while continuing to stare.  Eventually her eyes went back up to his face, to find him looking at her with a smirk on his face.

"Enjoying a little reward after your hard work?"  He asked, leaning back to give her a better view.

Laila felt her cheeks burning and quickly stood up, grabbing her things.  "No, I was just, um, nothing.  I had better go."

As she headed for the door, he grabbed her wrist.  She turned around and stared at him.  "Hey, thanks for the help," He said, glancing down at his hand.  "I appreciate you coming her to assist me."  He gave her a genuine smile before letting her wrist go.

Laila nodded and smiled a little before practically running from the room.

She messed around the kitchen, not really doing anything, beginning to get bored.  What exactly was she supposed to do when she was not nursing Himchan?  She pulled out her phone and began checking her email, deciding that while she was here she might as well get a little work done.

After a while, Laila was engrossed with her work, trying to organize reports for other people.  Suddenly, she practically jumped out of her chair when she felt something touch her shoulder.  She spun around in her chair to find Himchan looking down at her, his hand on her shoulder.

Laila's heart was racing, and she was tempted to slap his arm.  "What the heck are you doing?"  She asked, catching her breath.  "You practically gave me a heart attack."

Himchan crossed his arms, smirking.  "Really?  I guess I do have that affect on ladies.  But I think your job was to take care of me, not your phone."

Laila quickly finished an email and sent it off before giving him her full attention.  "I am well aware of that, but I needed something to do in-between bandage changes."

Himchan leaned in a bit towards her, his smirk growing.  "Well, if boredom is your problem, I can think of a few activities that can keep you busy."  Laila's heart began racing again and she leaned back a bit.

"And what did you have in mind?" She asked.

Himchan leaned in a little closer before saying, "Action movies!" He gave her a quick wink, then ran over to the tv.

Laila rolled her eyes at his teasing, but found that action movies did sound fun.  They sure beat reading email, and she could still count movies as ‘work', if it made Himchan feel better.  She smiled and went over to the tv, where Himchan was looking over their DVDs.

The two ended up getting into a four-hour movie marathon, greatly enjoying the action movies they picked.  When Laila's phone alarm went off, they reluctantly paused the movie and Laila got the bandage supplies.

While she worked, Laila tried to ignore the fact that Himchan seemed to be leaning in a little too close, seeming a little too interested in watching her face.  Thankfully, he kept his mouth shut and allowed her to work in peace.

When she was finally done, Laila lifted her head up quickly and found her face barely an inch from Himchan's.  They stared at each other for a minute, then Laila found that they were slowly leaning in towards each other.  Part of her was angry that she was slipping into this unprofessional behavior, while the other part was looking forward to where this was going.

But, before anything happened, Himchan suddenly pulled away and jumped up, fiddling with his bandage.

"Um, thanks for the help," He said, averting his gaze from her.

Laila was frozen for a second before she said, "No problem."

Awkward silence settled in the room.  Eventually, Laila spoke up.  "Do you want anything to eat?  I can make some snacks if you want."

Himchan nodded vigorously.  "Sure, sounds great.  Thanks..." He ended up mumbling something that Laila could not quite hear.  Before she could ask about it, Himchan was busy turning the tv off and putting the movies away.

Laila shook her head, trying to clear her thoughts, and went to the kitchen to cook.  As she began pulling out ingredients, Himchan came over, finally wearing a shirt.  Laila raised an eyebrow and Himchan laughed.

"What, do you think I spend all day without a shirt on?"

Laila shrugged.  "It's not for me to judge your clothing choices, or lack thereof."  That made Himchan laugh even harder and Laila eventually joined in.

Once the food was done, Laila served it up and they both sat down at the bar and began eating in comfortable silence.

Eventually Laila asked, "So, what was it that you said earlier?  You thanked me, but then mumbled off."

Himchan starred at his fork, a slight blush coming to his cheeks.  "Um, nothing."

Laila rolled her eyes.  "Come on, tell me.  Or I'll have to deprive you of your cell phone for the rest of the day."

That caught Himchan's attention and he turned to her.  "Well, I, uh, called you Lychee."

Laila raised an eyebrow.  "Lychee?  Why?"

"Well, it's one of my favorite foods," he explained, meeting her eyes,"And I think you're going to be one of my favorite people."

He smiled at her.

Laila couldn't help but smile back.

It was going to be an interesting two weeks.

 

So, what did you think?  This was my first time writing BAP, so please let me know how I did (constructive criticism is welcome).  Thank you for reading!  Until I write again, Li Li