First Encounter

Teach Me About Friendship

On the nearby hill of Woolim Primary, a boy laid on the grassy fields with a hurt expression depicted on his face. He had run out of school during lunchtime and didn’t want to return. His school uniform was all tattered and ripped, covered in dirt and food stains. Along with this his body was covered in scars, bruises and cuts; some new and some that were slowly fading away.

 

Despite this, the curious bystanders walking past could see how beautiful the boy was under all of it. The adults looked amused, chatting along with each other whilst the female students walking past seethed of jealousy after taking a glimpse at the boy’s white milky skin. The boys on the other hand, looked in confusion not sure what to make of it and some sneered at how a boy could look so feminine.  Yet none of them had bothered checking if the boy was all right. He was treated more like something entertaining for the people to see.

 

The boy yawned, unpinning his introductory student pin and flinging it far away. It read Lee Sungjong in clear bold letters. It was something the new teacher in the school advised students to wear since she was having difficulty learning the names of all the students. Well, more like only his class had to wear one.

 

Sungjong sighed, messing up his brunette hair roughly so that his fringe covered his eyes. He took a quick glance around making sure nobody was around him and then closed his eyes, silently falling asleep. He didn’t want to return home either.

 

Abruptly, a soft hit to his left arm woke him up. Sungjong looked over at the area and noticed a small item hidden in the grass. Picking it up, he noticed it was a candy wrapped in a yellow color.

 

Turning his head back, he found nobody in sight. Strange.

 

Unwrapping the mysterious candy, he popped it into his mouth and a burst of citrus ran through his senses, sour yet sweet. Lemon flavored candy.

 

Sungjong leaned back on the ground once more, savoring the taste of the fruity candy slightly wondering where it could have come from.


                       A boy with strawberry red hair walked along the road to his house. He had ended classes earlier than expected since his teacher had a sudden illness, causing the class to be dismissed.  It was peaceful as he listened to the birds chirping in distant trees. He ignored the fact a group of noisy females passed him, gossiping loudly about trivial matters.

 

He shrugged it off and decided nothing was going to ruin his day until he was hit in the face. Groaning, the boy rubbed his face angrily and looked for the cause of it. Near his feet laid a nametag that read Lee Sungjong.

 

“Lee Sungjong?” muttered the boy under his breath. The name sounded familiar but he wasn’t able to recall where he had heard it.

 

Scanning through the location where the tag had come flying from the boy squinted his eyes, making them appear smaller than it already was. A flash of a boy with brunette hair entered his view as he observed the top of the hill next to him.

 

Kim Sunggyu, the boy with strawberry red hair was just as ready to head over to this ‘Sungjong’ person to throw back the vicious nametag that attacked him but paused.

 

He noticed injures that etched on the boy’s body and widened his eyes. The uniform was not in good shape either; it was reduced to a dirty piece of fabric.

 

Stepping back one-step, he decided that the boy was probably not in the mood to start up an argument over a nametag. As he turned to leave he froze yet again with adrenaline rushing down his veins. Sunggyu looked back at Sungjong and bit his lower lip. He wished that he had something that would help the boy through whatever he was doing to cause such harm.

 

Sighing in frustration by the thoughts that occupied his mind, Sunggyu reached into the front pocket of his school bag and pulled out yellow wrapped candy, tossing it at the boy. Hopefully the boy will at least know someone cares about him for now.

 

Sunggyu stared for a while until he realized that Sungjong was going to wake up and quickly dashed down the road to his house. Being someone with high status at his school he was not going to allow himself to be found out helping another kid who was probably a target of bullying. He too, was scared to be bullied.