A Touch of Innocence

Fragments of that Summer

|||||

“No…Namjoo,” he called and gently grabbed her face before he heard her slow breathing and let out a sigh of relief.

Touching her face he realized she was cold and thought to bring her elsewhere. Kris grabbed her shoulders and began to pull her up before recalled her telling him ‘no’ before. Then he glanced down at her blood that had seeped into his shirt and about how much it might hurt her. She’d probably never hurt as much before.

Closing his eyes he let out another sigh. Why did she show up now?

Unable to will himself to move her he leaned forward and slowly covered her with his body in hopes of keeping her warm until she woke up again. She was so small it was almost as if she’d been made for him to protect. He’d probably be able to wrap both his arms all the way around her.  

Being careful not to crush her he gently lay his torso atop hers and twisted his head so that he had her in his view.

His nose first brushed into her hair and he smelled the shampoo she used. She had good preference, he thought. Sleekly inching forward till his nose brushed against her face he wondered what kind of body soap she used and where she’d been the past two days.

|||||

A cold raindrop splashed against Namjoo’s forehead causing her brows to twitch before her eyes opened. The sky was darker than it was before and she dug her head back into the ground before realizing she felt like she was trapped. That was before she felt heated warmth that hadn’t been there before.

Confused, she patted her hand around then felt it land on an arm. When she twisted her head she finally saw him sleeping; his face turned toward her. Namjoo felt a drone of panic warp through her, but wasn’t sure how to deal with the situation. 

Pressing her lips together and swallowing she closed her eyes. He was warm at least and had driven out the cold from earlier. It also felt like her wound stopped bleeding too. She could still feel the clump of his shirt between their tummies, but it didn’t serve as too much of a bother.  

The rain was still coming on and it was cold. However warm Kris might be, might not win out the weather. Namjoo tilted her chin up toward the sky in another attempt to move again and when she lowered it felt it brush against his shoulder. Upon lowering her eyes she finally realized that his was becoming drenched by the rain.

Namjoo almost hesitated before placing her hand on his bare shoulder and repeatedly tapped her fingers against him. She heard him utter a sleepy moan and adjust his face closer to hers. Namjoo inched her head away, but turned when he began to open his eyes. He slowly blinked while staring at her and unable to help, but feel somewhat discomforted Namjoo turned away from his gaze.

“Are you ok?” he asked rising off her.

Namjoo nodded her head unable to speak. She watched him grab his jacket and shake it clean before turning to look at her.

“Can you get up?”

Placing her elbows against the ground she tried to rise, but as quickly as she did it felt like her body was being split apart. She cowered upon feeling the pain and nearly clenched her eyes shut until she felt something warm being draped around her. Namjoo only turned in time to see Kris wrapping her in his black jacket before lifting her up in his arms.

She felt almost like an animal cowering under a giant. By now the streets were nearly empty and only a few cabs passed by. Namjoo finally began wondering about how long she’d been knocked out. Was Xiumin looking for her?

A whoosh of wind flew by and she wanted to shrink in his arms so as not to feel the cold. His grip tightened around her before he quickly jogged down the street.

“Keep under the jacket. It’ll keep you warm,” he told.

Namjoo felt for the jacket and glanced up at him as the rain pelted down her face. “What about you? Are you cold? Maybe you should…”

“I’m fine,” he immediately shook her off before turning down a thin street toward some really broken down buildings.

She could feel him alighting down the ancient steps before setting her down to her feet and opened the door. As the door creaked open to invite her in Namjoo saw a small kitchen with dirtied tiles peeling off the ground, small shelves stacked with various noodles, and an old fridge half her size buzzing in the corner.

“I’m sorry,” she heard him apologize from behind as he crammed the door shut. “It’s not a really great place.”

Suddenly embarrassed for having looked around so long she immediately turned around and shook her head. “No, no.” Then she saw the lost-childish expression on his face that told her he knew better than her lies.

“It’s ok, really,” Namjoo softened her tone.

“I’ll grab you a blanket,” he offered.

Namjoo watched him walk into the next room and disappear elsewhere. Glancing around once more she followed into the next room and browsed his tiny place that seemed too small for him. Home was home after all and Kris didn’t seem to dislike his home like she disliked hers.

Turning around at his footsteps she saw that he’d pulled a long sleeve on and had a blanket in hand. Taking the jacket from around her he carefully wrapped the blanket around her before offering her a seat. Encased in his warmth again Namjoo sat down and worked the buttons of her shirt together before clutching onto the blanket.

From where she sat she could hear the rain knocking against the window as if asking to come inside. The thought of the cold made her shiver and she hoped she wasn’t about to get sick. Namjoo shivered again before Kris walked into the room with a warm cup of water.

A soothing silence streamed into the room when he sat down on a small plastic stool in front of her so he was at eye level with her. When she glanced into his eyes she saw a flare of innocence and loss, which dispelled all other worries in her mind. Namjoo understood at that moment that she could trust him and he was no one to fear.

“Here,” he handed the cup out to her, “it’ll help warm you up.”

Namjoo peered at the cup, innocent warmth penetrating her heart as if a knight in shining armor was offering her a haven in the middle of a forest. The heat of the warm water melted into her fingers when she took the cup into her grasp.

“There’s a cut on your face,” Namjoo said.

Kris looked away as if embarrassed that she’d pointed it out. “It’s ok. It’ll go away.”

“It could get infected. Let me clean it for you.”

She reached an arm out, but he dodged her touch. Namjoo’s hand stopped midair before pulling it back.

Kris shot her a quick glance, “Just…stay where you are. You’re already hurt.” He made some frustrated noise as if unsure of what to say. Then dropping his head apologized, “I’m sorry.”

“Why?”

“You’re hurt because of me.”

There was a kind of silence that stilled the room. He was looking out for her in such an innocent way.

“Who is he? Why were you fighting?”

Kris kept his eyes away from her. Without a word he reached forward to adjust the blanket around her. “You’re warm, right? You’re not catching a cold or anything?”

“I’m fine,” she smiled at him, “thanks.”

“Does it hurt? Should I take you to the hospital?”

Namjoo shook her head, “I’ll take care of it. Looks like we both are the same.” She smiled, “Has your wound gotten better?”

Kris silently nodded.

“Do you live here by yourself?” she asked browsing her eyes around.

“Yes.”

“Do you get lonely?”

“I’m used to it.”

An overwhelming sense of sympathy swarmed through her. Wasn’t it a sad thing for one to have gotten used to such a cruel thing like loneliness?

“I’m sorry for asking,” she apologized. “I’ve been quite alone too, that’s why I left home. I envy you for being so strong about it.”

“If you have something to look forward to, you won’t feel alone.” He shot her a radiant smile that lit up his face. For the first time she thought he looked really handsome and she smiled in reply. 

|||||

When Namjoo fell asleep Kris didn’t budge from his spot. Watching her sleep was an enchanting opportunity he couldn’t miss.

He liked the way her short hair curled over the side of her face and the way her lips were pressed finely against each other. It was an unlikely situation that they had to seek shelter at his place and he was partially embarrassed that she had to be here with him. On the other hand, he was elated by the fact that Namjoo was here with him. They were alone, he had her to himself.

Being by himself hadn’t served as a big bother. After meeting her he hadn’t really thought about loneliness. Most days were spent wondering when he’d run into her. Sometimes he’d look forward to seeing her give him that smile he always saw on her face. It made his heart tremor. Such an angel felt he was worth a smile.

Without hesitating he extended his hand out and cupped her face into his palm. At least now she was a lot warmer than earlier. It was a relief, but he was unsure of how deep the cut on her stomach was. The pain from it wouldn’t have worn off so soon, so he hoped sleep would numb it for her for as long as possible.

Kris still felt apologetic that this had happened. He’d never expected running into her in such a situation. Where had she come from anyway? And where had she been going? Had she known it was him?

Leaning forward he tilted his head forward slightly and hesitated when his nose brushed against her skin. After a second he finally placed a kiss on her cheek and reopened his eyes with his heart drumming dramatically against his chest. He’d never kissed anyone before. He only remembered seeing such thing when he was younger inside a cinema and it was as exhilarating as he thought it’d be.  

Wanting more he kissed the area by her ear enjoying the scent of her hair that drifted up his nose. It was soothing. Why was everything about her so warm?

Finally moving back he stared down at her infatuated with just her presence. Kris wanted her in ways he couldn’t explain. She was like a sunshine to his gloomy world, like an angel descending from the heavens just for him. She was the other reason for him to keep living.

|||||

Namjoo still wasn’t answering her phone. Xiumin worriedly redialed her number as he drove to her place.

Was she asleep? Or had she gone out?

The gates of the house were shut close when he stepped out of his car, but there was no way of telling whether she was in or not. Xiumin shook the gates and called her name loudly, but no one answered. Pressing the intercom he waited patiently for her to answer, but there was none.

“Namjoo!!” he shouted again hopelessly aware that she wouldn’t be able to hear him from inside.

He wanted to climb over the gates, but people were watching and the rain would have made the gates too slippery for him to make a secure grasp. Stepping back reluctantly he let out a loud sigh. He wanted to have her in his company and maybe they could speak about what they further wanted to be.

The last night spent together had thrilled him and he believed that Namjoo wouldn’t have allowed it if she didn’t feel the least attracted to him. Recalling the ways she’d glanced at him and kissed him set his heart aflame.

Namjoo hadn’t seemed indifferent when they returned, so he hoped they could have a talk. He wasn’t too worried about their friendship coming to ruins. Other than he, who else knew Namjoo inside and out? No one could understand her as well as he could. The only person Namjoo could have a future with would be him.

He’d come again in the morning since it was a useless act just standing outside the house. And he hoped by then they’d be able to have a real talk.

|||||

There was a slight tension in her body and a kind of warm heat overrode the air almost causing her to sweat. Namjoo’s hand twitched before she opened her eyes and felt the blanket wrapped tightly around her. Her eyes quickly searched her surroundings to find them unfamiliar before recalling the earlier events of running into Kris.

When she shifted she felt a slight bump by her chest. Pausing and peering down she saw that Kris was resting his head against the couch, gripping the blanket around her as he slept uncomfortably with his body arched forward. If she moved anymore she might wake him.

For a while Namjoo didn’t know which was better; waking him rudely with her movements or allowing him to sleep more. She decided on the latter.

While Kris slept she stared up at the ceiling. How was Kris able to live in such a place all by himself? Was there really no one with him? Why?

Then thinking back to the fight he’d earlier had she wondered if he was in some kind of trouble. But he couldn’t be a bad person. She couldn’t see him that way, not after all this time, even if she barely knew him. Kris had been good to her and he’d come to her rescue before, so why would he have the intention to hurt anyone else?

A bad person wouldn’t have panicked and taken his shirt off to try and stop her bleeding in such a clumsy way. No one did that. Normally, a person would rip a part of their shirt off, but Kris had taken his whole shirt off. The act showed her that he was innocent and in fact didn’t know anything about treating wounds.

Glancing down at him she wondered again about what kind of person he was.

Kris finally stirred after a few minutes and sat up sleepily. She watched him rub the sleep off his eyes before he realized that she was watching. Slightly embarrassed, she offered a smile to cover up the awkwardness.

Quickly shifting back he asked, “You’re awake? Did I hurt you?”

“No, I’m ok.”

Scooting back against the arm rest she cleared and quietly looked around. After a second she pulled her legs over and settled her feet against the carpet so that they were at eye level again. Kris looked back at her curiously.

“Can I see that wound on your stomach?” she asked.

After some thinking she realized Kris probably didn’t know how to treat himself, so she wouldn’t know if he’d been keeping the cut clean or not. By now there could have been an infection if he hadn’t been looking after himself.

Namjoo finally got Kris to stand after a minute all the while trying to balance herself on her wobbly legs. She was hungry by now, but wasn’t sure what to eat in her condition. Thinking about the cut on her stomach didn’t quite help comfort her.

Lifting his shirt over his belly she peered at the cut. The blood had turned into some brown goo around the stitches, but the color of the wound didn’t look off.

“I was kind of worried since I was thinking you might not know how to look after yourself,” Namjoo said letting his shirt fall back down. “But everything looks well.”

She smiled up at him unaware of the deep penetrating gaze from his eyes. When their eyes met, Kris quickly looked away guiltily and Namjoo felt a sense of confusion.

“What is it?” she asked.

Kris glanced at her again hesitantly and looked away before glancing back at her. In a mere moment she felt her head forcibly tilting up and the realization hit her a second later that his hands were around her face. In reflex she shot her hands up to grasp onto his in a short effort to pry his hands off, but she didn’t do so. Instead she clamped her hands around his big hands and gently pulled, but didn’t use enough strength to push him away.

“Wh…what are you doing?” she stammered, a little panicked but not enough to make her fear him. “W…wait…Kris…”

The tenderness of his lips melted into her when he took her lower lip between his and closed his eyes to enjoy the sensation of it. Her fingers slightly moved against his hand and she felt him kiss her again. For what felt like a long while, Namjoo didn’t budge but stared into his face captivated.