Her Arrival, His Arrival

Fragments of that Summer

“Namjoo!”

In the midst of a crowd a reddish brown head popped up immediately when Namjoo turned. A smile broadened her face before she waved her arm out and quickly dragged her suitcase after her.

Letting out a gasp she exclaimed, “This airport is huge! I almost didn’t know where to go!”

He laughed at her before taking her suitcase from her, “Was your flight ok?”

Xiumin was her friend of 17 years. Right after graduating from university he landed a job with a large firm and was stationed out of South Korea. Namjoo hadn’t seen him for at most 2 years, but thanks to his save she was finally able to leave home.

“At least it wasn’t all the way across the world.”

Xiumin let out a half laugh, half smile before draping an arm around her, “Save the talk. Lets go have some fun first.”

Just like always, he knew how to take things off her mind. Instead of heading to the place she was staying at right away he took her sight-seeing and food tasting. The delicacies and freshness of the seaside air was relaxing.

Hong Kong was even more crowded than she’d imagined. As they walked along the streets Namjoo found the voices and language foreign to her attracting her ears. She thought foolishly that perhaps in the middle of the crowd somewhere she might be able to spot her soul mate. It always happened in movies, so why not now to her? As nice as the thought seemed Namjoo thought she really liked the singlehood.

“Over here! Their fried rice is so good! Want to have some before we go biking?” Xiumin questioned pulling her across the street after a few bike riders passed by.

“Biking?” Namjoo repeated.

He nodded, “Yea, it’s just a few bucks for an hour ride around. It’ll be fun.”

There were a lot of shops and products that attracted her eye. Namjoo knew that if Xiumin hadn’t restrained her she might have to return home with more than 5 suitcases; more than what she could bargain for.

Too lazy and full after eating she forced Xiumin to let her ride on the back of his bike. This was perhaps the freest she’d been after he left her behind in Seoul. Xiumin had been one of her closest friends; one she could tell anything to. Talking to him about her periods, her cramps, and things only females told females was a thing that made their friendship somewhat abnormal, but it was what made them. She was comfortable with it, so he was comfortable with it.

Xiumin was perhaps one of her most trusted persons.

“Hey! You’re not asleep, are you?” Xiumin questioned slightly twisting his head back.

The sound of the wheels turning continuously underneath them twisted into the air before vanishing away. Namjoo awoke from her peaceful thoughts before adjusting her arms around his waist. His back was warm; not too broad or small, but cute.

“Did you gain some weight?” she asked turning to place her chin against the back of his shoulder.

“Ah!” he shrieked. “Stop that! It gives me the chills!”

“This?” she asked digging her chin even further in to hear him cry out and laughed.

The bike swerved to the side dangerously and Namjoo screamed. Clamping her eyes shut she tightened her grasp around him before she heard him letting out whoops of joy. When she realized he was accelerating in speed she slowly opened her eyes.

Namjoo glanced around to see that they were back to where they started, “What the heck…”

“You’re suffocating me, let go,” he told when he braked.

Namjoo shot him a face from behind before sliding off the back of the bike. A few minutes later she found herself staring at the sparkling seaside underneath the evening sun while waiting for Xiumin to return from wherever he’d gone to.

She turned upon hearing footsteps to see him carrying drinks in his hand, “Here.”

“What is it?” she glanced at the drink.

“It’s just juice. You think I’m going to feed a weak like you liquor?” he playfully knocked his knuckles against her head before starting down the walk.

“Aish!” Namjoo rubbed her head before jogging after him. “Lets go to the beach.”

“Beach? Why? You can go there tomorrow or by yourself.” Xiumin told then took a long sip of his drink.

“It’s lonely going by myself. I don’t want to look like a loner.”

He laughed before turning to her, “Trust me. A lot of people go take walks there by themselves.”

“Why?” she asked then slightly leaned into him teasingly. “Have you done it?”

“No,” he replied, “I like a more romantic atmosphere; going with someone.”

Namjoo raised her brow, “Then go with me!”

“No!” he refused.

“Pfft!” she snorted. “We’re going anyway.”

Grabbing his arm she ran forward to pull him along, but he pulled out and ran ahead of her.

Sticking his tongue out at her he shouted, “Gotta catch me first!”   

“Jerk!” she screamed chasing after him all the while laughing and having fun.

And Namjoo liked this. This kind of fun eased her heart and reminded her that she still had innocence in her.

“You’re so persistent,” Xiumin muttered dropping onto the sand to sit.

Panting, Namjoo dropped down beside him and took a long sip out of her cup before realizing it was empty. With a moan she reached over for Xiumin’s and drank out of the straw.

“Hey!” Xiumin called out reaching out for his cup, but Namjoo turned away to prevent him from taking it. “Fine, have it, but save my straw.”

Namjoo turned around to stick her tongue out at him, “Doesn’t matter. Mine now.”

Xiumin snorted at her before folding his knees up and crossed his ankles.

“You always tire me out.”

“What? You’re complaining about me now?”

When she turned to look at him she found that he was staring out at the ocean. The waves were coming in small numbers and there was a soft blue glow in the sky. A number of groups were walking back to the streets slowly leaving the two of them be.

“Company is good. You tire me out in a fun way,” he explained.

Namjoo slightly snorted and tapped her fingers against the sand.

“Did you get lonely without me?” Namjoo asked.

“No. What’s there to miss when there’s so much here?”

Namjoo’s face became blunt before pursing her lips together.

“Aish,” he swung his shoulder into her, “just kidding. Of course I was lonely. I barely knew anyone here. What’s there to do without you around?”

Feeling sullen Namjoo leaned into his shoulder.

“Ok, stop being a baby,” he hit her head very lightly with his hand before getting up. “Come on, lets go.”

“Go where?”

“I gotta drop you off before I leave, don’t I?”

Namjoo stared into the large green yard with fresh bushes growing around the house like a shield. She stared at the rich white staircase leading to the two story bricked home with windows that looked like eyes. It looked somewhat homey and somewhat creepy.

“You want me to stay here all by myself?” Namjoo turned to Xiumin nervously. “It’s not haunted or anything?”

“No, I looked around,” Xiumin assured, “the back door’s kind of loose, but it’s all the way into the back yard. No one can get back there without passing the locked gates, so don’t worry. It’s private property my boss is lending me, so it’s well protected. You’ll be fine.”

“Maybe you would, but not me,” Namjoo muttered.

“Stop scaring yourself,” he encouraged before draping an arm around her. With his hand on her arm he urged her up the steps before unlocking the wooden door.

“Why such a big house? I could, like, stay in a hotel or something,” Namjoo tried.

“I’ll stop by often. The neighbors are close by, so if there’s anything they can run right over.” Xiumin explained. “Want me to show you around?”

Namjoo gave Xiumin an uncertain stare before he toured her around the house. Everything had been supplied and ready for her beforehand from furniture to necessities to kitchen supplies and even bed sheets and pillows.

“I also bought some grocery for you yesterday,” Xiumin told. “Use it like you’re at home. You’ll be ok.”

“Says you.”

Xiumin smiled before he walked toward the door, “I’ll come by tomorrow. If there’s anything, call me.”

“Yea,” she gave him a smile before nodding.

Namjoo felt her heart palpitate a little at the thought that she’d have to be alone again and that he was leaving so soon. She’d missed his company and wished he could stay with her.

“Xiumin,” she called out and slightly took a step forward.

When he turned around she felt their eyes meet and she glanced away before looking back at him.

Finally taking a step forward she hugged him, “Thank you. You know, this…and everything.”

“Yea,” he smiled as she leaned against him. “You deserve it. Just have fun here and I’ll relieve your stress. Lets talk more tomorrow, ok?”

Namjoo nodded when he withdrew from her and waved before closing the door behind him. Namjoo found herself staring at the door for a minute before finally turning around to stare around. The house was too silent.

Clearing she pulled out her phone and clutched onto hit as she walked around. Her eyes swept over the darkening shade of the sun outside through the curtains. Finally making her way into the living room she sat down and turned the TV on. Unable to understand anything she resorted to watching a food channel and felt herself drool over the dishes before her stomach grumbled.

Deciding to make something to eat she got up first to turn on the lights and close the curtains. As she walked past the front door she stared at the knob and slowly walked toward it just to assure herself that it was locked. She was paranoid. Namjoo had being alone and paranoid.

What if someone just came in? What would she do? Or what if something was there with her?

“Aish! Seriously,” she shook her head and hit herself lightly before dragging her feet into the kitchen.

To calm herself she played some music from her phone, hummed, and danced along to the songs as she cooked something for herself. After half an hour she finally sat down for a late dinner and caught up with the news over the Wi-Fi. Then after washing her dishes finally made her way upstairs to the room she was using.

Not yet interested in what the other rooms held she quickly stepped past them. The room she was using had nothing, but a bed, a desk, and a closet. It was good enough to her liking and Xiumin had promised her he’d made sure there were no bugs or spiders. She would take his word for it until she found a creepy crawler somewhere.

Opening her suitcase she unloaded her luggage and made sure everything was organized. Before she knew it, it was already dark outside. Feeling beat and tired she took a long hot shower in the bathroom before combing her hair in front of the mirror.     

When the slight steam that had built up in the bathroom dispersed Namjoo stared at herself in the mirror and amused herself by creating various expressions. For the fun of it she twisted her short hair here and there complimenting herself about how y she could be. After quite some time she finally laughed.

It was all peace and quiet until she turned upon a crash downstairs. Her heart started racing as she stared at the bathroom door and gulped.

Crap, she didn’t have her phone with her. Xiumin had told her the house was well secured…

What was going on!?

Namjoo pressed her lips together feeling nervousness and anxiety fight to gain control inside her. Her hands slightly shook as she randomly reached for the hair dryer at her side and closed her eyes before reaching for the doorknob.

“Oh god…please just let it be something random that fell…” she silently prayed and crept down the hallway on tiptoes.

Namjoo ran her eyes around the empty hallway to the closed doors and finally started down the staircase to the first floor. All the lights were on as she’d left them and nothing looked misplaced. Still, her heart raced uncontrollably as she turned from side to side wielding her weapon closely.

Namjoo turned when she heard an auspicious groan and screamed when she swerved around to stare into the empty kitchen. Nothing was there.

What was she hearing!?

She heard the groan again, even deeper this time before her hands really started shaking. Namjoo was almost ready to bawl on the spot and run out the door when she spotted something dark lying on the kitchen floor. As her eyes landed on the dark figure she finally heard the roaring of the night breeze coming into the house.

The hair dryer dropped from her hand and clattered to the floor noisily when she recognized a pool of blood on the ground. Instead of another scream belting out of her she gasped in horror before running forward.

“Oh my god…oh my god…” she muttered as she tried to flip the man over.

After a long minute struggle without any of his cooperation she finally turned him over and spotted blood oozing out of a cut in his shirt. A frown crossed her face before she lifted his shirt up to discover a stab wound. Quickly observing if any of his organs had been penetrated she slightly pressed around his wound and let out a sigh of relief. It was just a premature stab, but if he lost any more blood he might not make it.

Namjoo turned to deliriously look for anything and finally realized she hadn’t brought her kit along with her…but the house might have a sewing kit. Racing up the stairs she pushed open the doors and ran from room to room searching each desk and drawer. Without luck she rushed down the street to barge in on her neighbors with a lame excuse about fixing her dress for an event tomorrow and finally returned to the house.

To her luck the stranger was totally knocked out, so fixing him up was a piece of cake. Problem was, how was she to drag him up the stairs?

After heaving and pulling for five minutes she gradually gave up and grabbed a couch cushion to put under his head. She spent the wee hours of the night cleaning up the pool of blood on the ground and finally dead beat fell asleep on the kitchen floor. 


***f.y.i. Namjoo is a nurse