Author Note

Dove in the White Cage

 

Finally finish writing the story, though it is so short but I take (too much) time in writing it, try to make the scene subtle so the story stay not rated. If you interested in some additional explanations from the story, you may want to continue read this note.

 

The Prompt: Feather and Stone

Once I read the prompt list, even though I don’t understand the meaning, feather and stone fascinated me right away. I googled about it, but only found a jewelry shop and wedding photographer, so I decided to use my own interpretation.

Explicit: I put a dove for the feather, and the stack (that consist of fire woods and stones) for, well, the stone. The dove is more of an epitome of freedom, though, and the stone is to represent how the freedom taken away forcefully.

Implicit: Feather is soft, stone is hard; it’s about something in contrary. Sunggyu is loving and caring to Hayoung, but she hardens her heart and shuts herself from his love.

 

The Tradition:

A widow sacrifice rite –from Bali, Indonesia– in which the noble widow (may or may not stabbed herself before) jumped into the same fire with her dead husband to show her loyalty toward her husband. The woman who died in mesatia promised to be a goddess. Common happened in the past when the ancient kingdom still reign, but law already forbids it years ago.

Different with the Bali Hindu people in general who solemnize Ngaben for burning the body, in the Trunyan village the body does not burn but only placed in the graveyard in a forest area to decomposed. The dead bodies don't produce bad smells because of the perfumed scents from a huge Taru Menyan tree growing nearby. Taru means 'tree' and Menyan means 'nice smell'.

(I make some change in the story, I write Aunty Bae’s husband is not cremated yet because of limited money, but actually in Trunyan village they do it because it’s their tradition.)

You can read more about the rite from the link I provided, but you can also throw your question to me (I’m not a Balinese, just an interested girl who know a bit about their tradition).

 

Oh, if you read the foreword, then, yes, Hayoung does poison Sunggyu. She thinks if Sunggyu died then she can be free again, but she doesn’t know Madam Kim would make her do mesatia.