My California King

On top of list

Chan likes girl. Well, he is a fanboy of AFTER SCHOOL for crying out loud, just take a look at his treasured AFTER SCHOOL albums and posters.

Chan likes girl. Or so he thought until he met a boy named Soonyoung.

Nothing is special about Soonyoung, Chan could say so, except he is not very tall, have small eyes same as chan, He can dance very well, he also can rap and sing goodly, and he is 17 this year, Chan He is only 14 years old boy who though himself that he likes a GIRL(but he never fall in love before), though he’s short, he dance well too. But lately his Soonyoung hyung always do skinship with him.

That's why Chan decided to put Soonyoung's name on the top of his must avoid list.

Chan didn't know how he ended up attracted to Soonyoung. Soonyoung was always someone who best friends with everyone, everyone liked him, he was a social butterfly type, and very loud. His actions were always unpredictable, and confusing as hell. With his silly things that he did, Soonyoung was someone whom he found comfortable to be with, and sometimes Chan just couldn't help but think of Soonyoung as a warm and bright person, as if he was a star.

Okay, that was very cheesy, now you know how dangerous Soonyoung was.

"It's just a soft spot," he convinced himself, "he's just my personal human heater."

But everytime Soonyoung smiled at him the butterfly sensations in his stomach proved him wrong.

How could he reach Soonyoung? He wondered, both of them are boys. He would never reach Soonyoung no matter how much he wanted him, just like those stars, you could see them but would never reach them.

Never once in a million years did Chan come across this "being gay" thing in his brain. Chan hated the way he doubted his own ual orientation. Chan tried his best to deny his feeling, tried to spare himself from broken heart, and he could say avoiding his hyung was pretty hard.

"I like girl, I like GIRL," he stared at one of his AFTER SCHOOL poster before buried his face against his pillow and screamed in frustration.

"What's wrong with girl and That After school noona posters channie?" he heard footsteps approaching, Chan tried not to groan because that voice belongs to Soonyoung, his crush—, no, he meant his hyung.

"Nothing," Chan blushed, still not raising his head from his pillow, "leave me alone, Soonyoung hyung"

"So, who do you think has prettier face?" Soonyoung ignored him, chuckled.

Chan froze. How he wished he could kick Soonyoung's , because, damn, Soonyoung was sitting beside Chan. Chan had Soonyoung ON HIS ING BED, and obviously the butterflies inside his stomach weren't helping him at all, thank you very much.

Soonyoung was expecting Chan to laugh along with him, he wondered why Chan said nothing, "Channi? What's wrong?"

Chan didn't even turn his head.

"Channi, look at me," he poked Chan's back, made Chan feels his inside melt.

Chan could feel his poor soul leaving his body.

"Is your pillow more attractive than me that you don't want to look at me?"

Chan started to pretend he was sleeping by snoring— which failed successfully.

"Channie? Are you sleeping?"

Chan kept on pretending. He didn't want to turn his head, because Soonyoung would notice his blushing face.

The weight beside Chan was gone. He waited until the footsteps gone and there was silence, finally he sighed in relief. Maybe Soonyoung was already gone to his own bed to sleep. He his back—

Only to found Soonyoung was staring at him, standing beside his bed and guitar in hand.

"I know you aren't sleeping, Channi"

Chan groaned, "How did you know?"

"I just..know it haha" Soonyoung laid his back at Chan's bed frame, sitting on his bed, "are you trying to avoid me? I notice it Channi, I'm not dumb, I know we're not talking much anymore, and it looks like you always avoid me, what's wrong?"

"I don't know, hyung" Chan shook his head.

"You can tell me everything, I just want you to know, you have me, Channi, we are friends, right?" Soonyoung looked at him with concern.

Those words hit Chan. Friends? Chan tried his best to smile, why did that word make him disappointed? Just friends? Nothing more?

"It's okay if you don't want to tell me," Soonyoung positioned his guitar, "but stop ignoring me."

Soonyoung started to play his guitar, really sometimes Chan thought that Soonyoung's hand can do wonder, just look at his big hands and long fingers, not as pretty as Chan's hands, but sometimes when they held hands, their hands fitted perfectly. And there he was, adoring Soonyoung for the nth times. Maybe, Chan thought, he should stop denying his feeling, because the whole thing he was doing was pointless, he couldn't avoid Soonyoung forever. Soonyoung looked down at Chan, his eyes staring straight to Chan's, he was humming.

Chan really hoped he's not dreaming, because Soonyoung was singing, for Chan. Chan really wanted to squeal like a fangirl, which wasn't manly at all.

Chest to chest, nose to nose

Palm to palm, we were always just that close

Soonyoung woke up to find his dongsaeng was hugging him for his dear life— as if he was a teddy bear. Too close, doesn't Chan know about personal space? He groaned, he couldn't stand the heat. He was about to sleep on the couch in the living room when he heard his roommate called his name,

"Soonyoung hyung."

Did he call Soonyoung's name just then?

But why?

Wrist to wrist, toe to toe

Lips that felt just like the inside of a rose

Soonyoung just couldn't stop staring at Chan cute face, staring at those lips, because those lips could call his name so beautifully. He loved it the best when Chan called his name.

Soonyoung kissed those soft lips, stole one or two kiss won't hurt, right?

Eye to eye, cheek to cheek

Side by side, you were sleeping next to me

Chan always sneaked into Soonyoung's bed in the midnight with his puppy eyes, "It's too cold, I'll catch cold, please let me sleep with you, Soonyoung hyung."

Soonyoung could only sigh, why did he have such a clingy dongsaeng?

But why did he agree? He could say no, but he didn't.

Soonyoung enjoyed his midnight watch, Chan never failed to amuse him.

He was falling, hard.

Arm in arm, dusk to dawn with the curtains drawn

And a little last night on these sheets

Everytime Soonyoung had Chan in his arms, he didn't want to close his eyes.

Holding him from dusk until dawn, Chan made a day feels like a minute.

So how come when I reach out my fingers

It seems like more than distance between us?

Soonyoung walked nervously, as he approached Chan who was sitting not too far from him.

"Channi?"

"Yes?" Chan tilted his head cutely.

Soonyoung shoved him a plate of omelet he cooked himself, which he add all of his love in it, and almost burn the whole kitchen— well, maybe their whole dorm down. "I love omelet." He said loudly after collecting all of his guts, or maybe screaming?

Chan smiled and took the plate, "thanks, me too."

Soonyoung smiled. Holly cow! do you hear that? He loves me too, hell yes—

"Soonyoung hyung these are delicious, I really really love your omelet," Chan's eyes were sparkling after took a bite, fading Soonyoung's smile, "ah, let's share these to the others."

Soonyoung strained his hand, reaching out his fingers to catch something, but Chan left before he could stop him.

In this California king bed

We're ten thousand miles apart

Chan stopped sneak into his bed at midnight, and definitely was avoiding him. What did I do? Soonyoung wondered, did he recognize his undying love?

No, Chan was very clueless it was frustrating Soonyoung.

And there was a big strip of distance, without they even knew.

I've been California wishing on these stars

For your heart on me, my California king

Chan didn't sleep on Soonyoung's bed anymore, but he still called his name in his sleep. He glanced at Chan's sleeping figure, his legs wide opened. He sighed and walked to the windows, lifted the curtains and looking at the stars, silently wishing upon those stars and wondering—

Was he that unreachable?

Just when I felt like giving up on us

You turned around and gave me one last touch

That made everything feel better

And even then my eyes got wetter

Soonyoung cried silently that night, feeling desperate as ever. He tried too many times it tired him.

"Soonyoungi hyung?"

He froze.

"Are you crying?" Chan asked as he gave him a hug, "there there, big boys don't cry."

Soonyoung laughed, smile plastered across his face.

"Good, smile suits you better, Soonyoungi hyung." He shed his tears away.

"Thanks, Channi." Soonyoung felt a lot better.

So confused wanna ask you if you love me

But I don't wanna seem so weak

Maybe I've been California dreaming

"Channi, do you love me?" The question slipped one night, surprising him himself, but Soonyoung didn't regret it.

That question surprised Chan but he smiled and said, "Of course I do."

"Really?" Soonyoung nearly jumped from his bed.

"Yeah," Chan nodded and then started counting with his fingers, "I love you, my mom, my dad, my big bro, Seungcheol-hyung, Doyoon-hyung, Junghan-hyung, Jisoo-hyung, Junhui-hyung, Wonwoo-hyung, Jihoon-hyung, Mingming-hyung, Mingyu-hyung, Seokmin-hyung, Seunggwan-hyung, hansol-hyung, Dongjin, Samuel—"

He kept on counting and called names— which most of them Soonyoung didn't even know.

Chan just loved everyone. Soonyoung tried not to show his disappointment.

But that was okay, at least he loved him.

In this California king bed

We're ten thousand miles apart

California wishing on these stars

For your heart on me, my California king

Soonyoung was spacing out, thinking about how to reach Chan when Mingyu approached him one day.

"You're so obvious, aren't you Hyung?"

Soonyoung shrugged the back of his head, didn't understand.

"I'm talking about Chan-hyung," Mingyu rolled his eyes.

Soonyoung made an 'o' face.

"Let me give you some advices," Mingyu said with a smirk, "first, make sure there are just the two of you, second, take off your clothes—"

"Wa-wait," Soonyoung interrupted, "I'm going to confess my feeling— and hoping he loves me back, not to him."

"Trust me, hyung, it works," Mingyu patted his shoulder, sent him a convincing look, "it's pretty obvious you know, I bet the whole dorm already know but Chan, do something or I'll make you, good luck."

Soonyoung sighed after Mingyu left. Why Mingyu even one of his dongsaeng. That little brat really liked to show skinship here and there, there was no way Soonyoung would do skinship too much with Chan since Chan is really innocent. He preferred joking or—

Light bulb popped out from who-know-where. Thanks Mingyu.

And there Soonyoung was, pouring all of his feeling all these time, singing his last chorus.

"So, how is that, my california king?" Soonyoung blushed, Chan put on his clueless face

Chan couldn't breathe, did Soonyoung freaking serenade him just then? Chan was trembling and Soonyoung started to panic, "Channi? Are you okay? I-I'm sorry, did I freak you out? I just want to say I love you."

Chan started to cry, it really wasn't dream, was it? He shook his head.

"I see, you don't love me back, I know you like girl, I'm sorry for being stupid," there were hurt in Soonyoung's eyes, but he still was smiling like an idiot, "Please, channi, promise me after all of this you won't avoid me."

"Who said I don't love you hyung?" Chan startled Soonyoung by pulled him into a bone crashing hug.

Soonyoung blinked, he could feel Chan's lips against the crook of his neck, sending shiver all over his body, but there was something more important— "I-I can't breathe."

"Sorry," Chan loosened his hug, before broke into sobs, "I always love you, hyung, sometimes I don't want to admit it so I avoided you, and don't ing think that I don't love you, because I do love you so much it hurts, and these are happy tears okay? I love you, Kwon soonyoungi hyung."

Soonyoung giggled "thank you."

Chan hit his back, "you should have said 'I love you too' not thank you hyungi."

Soonyoung released the hug but then kissed Chan, the kiss was nothing rush or rough, it was sweet and passionate. Chan's lips were soft on his own lips, and there was a tingling sensation. And it was more more pleasant when Chan kissed him back. He smiled through the kiss.

Soonyoung pulled back, breathless, gasping for air, "I love you too."

Chan smiled.

"And, Channi, there's something I have to confess," Soonyoung grinned, "Remember when I told you that you talk in your sleep?"

Chan nodded.

"Well, you always called my name in your sleep,"

Chan's smile faded. He knew normal people usually would freak out if they found out someone watched them when they're sleeping, but Chan found it embarrassing. Soonyoung watched him sleeping? What the ?

"I didn't mean to stalk you or what, it's just you look cute when you're sleeping, except you sleep with your legs wide open."

Chan blushed but then smirked, "what do I do to you?"

"Simple, just love me, and make that forever." Soonyoung answered as he pulled Chan, for another kiss.

On that bed, under those stars, no more distance, tears, or doubts, because Soonyoung finally got what he wished for, his california king—

And Chan still likes girl, and definitely he'll be a fanboy of AFTER SCHOOL forever. But now, Soonyoung's name is on top of his most beloved list.