The Chicken Olympics

Onew's Chicken Farm (The Chicken Olympics)

 

Onew’s farmhand, Lee Taemin, woke up in the chicken coop, covered in discarded feathers and stray pieces of straw. He sat up, yawning and running a hand through his chocolate locks. Surrounded by sleepy chickens, Taemin crawled out of the tiny entrance to the chicken coop and stood up outside, feeling sore. It was just after seven in the morning, and he was surprised to find the farmhouse still dark, usually Onew was up and about running around the farm by now. 
 
The young helper walked towards the old, run down farmhouse and pushed open the front door. Taemin hated going inside, Onew was definitely not meant to be an interior designer. In every available wall space there were pictures of chickens. Onew holding chickens, Onew chasing chickens, old chickens, cute fluffy chicks, even pictures of KFC buckets full of fried chicken. Taemin creeped past a rather unsettling picture of Onew staring lovingly into a red-feathered chicken’s eyes, and walked up the stairs to Onew’s room. The door to the master bedroom was covered in a collage of chicken stickers and Taemin sighed. His boss was one strange fellow. He grasped the cold metal doorknob with his left hand, and opened the door at an agonizingly slow pace. The boy peeked his head around the edge of the door and peered into the still dark room.
 
“Uh...Boss? Are you still sleeping? Did you stay up too late last night writing chicken fan fiction, or god help me, 2min fan fiction?” Taemin waited for a reply, but none came. The farm hand slipped into the dark room, and tiptoed over to the nightstand to turn on the chicken shaped lamp. He fumbled around for the little switch, and flipped it. A soft yellow light illuminated the room, revealing an empty bed. Taemin peered at the bed in confusion, scratching the back of his head with one hand, before noticing a slight lump under the blanket.
 
Smiling, he strode over to the bed and peeled off the blanket, “Boss, it’s past seven, time to- AHH!” Taemin shrieked and fell backwards onto his , and he scrambled backwards away from the bed.
 
“SQUAWK!” A rather dull-looking brown colored chicken sat in the middle of Onew’s bed, ruffling its feathers indignantly. 
 
Taemin put one hand over his rapidly beating heart, hoping to calm it down, “Oh, it’s just a chicken.... I should’ve known Boss kept one in the house. Although... I would have thought he would at least keep a pretty one in the house, not an ugly one like that.”
 
The chicken glared at the boy with beady black eyes, and Taemin stood up. He wiped his sweaty hands on his jeans, and walked back over to the bed, reaching his small hands out to grab the feathery fellow.
 
--------
 
Onew saw Taemin reaching for him, and was surprised beyond belief. Why is my farm hand so large? Why was he calling me a chicken? Not that I mind if he calls me a chicken or anything, chickens are beautiful creatures and I would be honored to be one. 
 
“Come here little chicken, it’s time for the Chicken Olympics.” Taemin reached for the chicken on the bed again.
 
Onew let out a noise of frustration, “I’m not a chicken!” He tried to speak, but all that came out of his mouth were clucks. Wait. Did...did I just cluck? I did! I can’t believe it, I am a chicken! This is the best day of my life! Onew tried to do a celebratory dance on the bed, but chickens aren’t really built for dancing so he kind of just fell over. 
 
Taemin took the opportunity and grabbed the now very happy chicken, and strolled over to the door and down the stairs, “Hey there little fellow. Do you know what today is?” Taemin the bird’s feathers before continuing, “It’s the day of the Chicken Olympics! I am so excited. Onew hyung isn’t here, and that means that I get to host them myself. I wonder where he is anyway...” The boy mused.
 
I’m right here Taemin-ah. W-wait, what? I totally forgot that today is the day of the Chicken Olympics. Oh well... Taemin can handle it. Onew sat comfortably in Taemin’s arms before he realized, WAIT! I’m a chicken...It’s the Chicken Olympics... I have to participate! Oh no, what am I going to do? What if I win the tasty competition? The previously happy bird in Taemin’s arms began to struggle violently. I don’t want to die, I don’t want to die!! 
 
Taemin managed to keep the struggling Onew in his arms as they approached the chicken coop, where dozens of other chickens were milling around. They knew what day it was, and unlike Onew, they chose to accept their fate. Upon seeing them, Onew calmed down. He was surrounded by beautiful creatures, after all. He figured that if they can be so calm, he should be too. 
 
“Alright little fellas, it’s time!” Taemin set Onew down on the dirt and straightened up, “Remember, the first event is Chicken Racing.” Taemin picked out six chickens from the group and took them to the small race track built next to the coop. He lined them up one by one, and stood off to the side of the track. 
 
“Ready? On your mark...get set...GO!” Taemin blew on the silver whistle in his hand, the noise startling the chickens into a run. The race was over shortly, and Taemin picked out six more to participate, including Onew. 
 
Oh gosh... I am new to being a chicken. I don’t even know how to run. 
 
“Ready? On your mark... get set...GO!” Taemin yelled again and blew on the whistle. Onew tried to run, but he tripped over his little chicken feet and ended up rolling down the track, much to Taemin’s amusement. Poor little fella, Taemin giggled. 
 
The race was over before they knew it, and Onew ended up in last place. Taemin felt kind of attached to the unfortunate bird that he had found in his boss’s bedroom, and he scooped up the bird before giving it some encouraging words of advice, “Look, little guy. It’s okay that you came last. All that really matters is that you don’t win the tasty competition, or I will have to make Onew fried chicken using you as the main ingredient.” Taemin laughed and Onew sighed mentally. 
 
I better not win the tasty competition. Being a chicken is hard, I didn’t realize just how much work they had to go through.
 
Taemin set the bird down to get six more participants for the chicken races. Soon, all of the birds were done and it was time for the second competition, the Flying Contest. 
 
The farm hand clapped his hands before announcing, “Okay guys, it’s time for the flying contest. Follow me to the roof and we shall begin!”
 
The chickens followed Taemin like children followed the Pied Piper, and they all made their way to the rooftop of the farm house. Taemin stood at the edge of the roof, surrounded by chickens.
 
“Alright, U-umm. I am not really sure how the boss does this contest, but I’m pretty sure all he does is toss you guys off the roof and sees how far you guys fly.” Taemin admitted, “Alright! So.. who wants to go first?”
 
Obviously, the chickens didn’t answer and Taemin flushed from embarrassment, “Oh yeah... You guys can’t answer me...” Taemin surveyed the small group in front of him before finding the one chicken he was familiar with, Onew. 
 
“Come here little fella,” Taemin called and Onew backed away. He didn’t want to be thrown off of the roof. Unfortunately for him, he was at the front of the crowd and the other chickens formed a barrier of sorts, preventing him from escaping. Taemin grabbed him and walked back to the edge of the roof, “Are you ready, little fella?”
 
Onew squawked, a clear No! but of course, Taemin couldn’t speak chicken. He took that as a “Yes,” and proceeded to hurl his boss of of the roof. 
 
Onew was in quite the predicament. He flapped his useless wings, which did nothing to help him fly, and he was hurtling towards the ground. Why aren't I flying? Onew panicked. I thought that chickens could fly! What's going on? Have I been wrong all of these years?
 
He hit the ground with a loud thud and bawked loudly to show his disapproval, not that anyone really cared. Taemin continued hurtling chickens off the roof and Onew could only stare as the precious birds rained down around him. When the last chicken made its way through the air, Taemin hurried down from the roof in order to determine the winners. 
 
The farmhand surveyed the pile of chickens in front of him before his eyes lit up and the corners of his mouth turned upward. “Alrighty my little chicken friends, the winners of the flying contest are.... Soy, Un, and Dorito! Congratulations guys.” Taemin grinned broadly, and the three winners were attempting to do a celebratory dance, but it wasn’t working out. They ended up falling on their feathery backsides and they looked ridiculous.
 
I can’t believe they won. That’s just not fair. Onew attempted a frown, but chicken beaks don’t have the capability to frown, so his eyes bulged out instead. 
 
After Taemin relocated Soy, Un, and Dorito to the Golden Roost and returned to the crowd of anxious chickens. They knew what time it was. It was 2 P.M and that meant it was time for the tasty competition. 
 
“Okay my little chicken friends, are you ready?” Taemin smiled at the beautiful creatures in front of him. “It is time for the tasty competition. Now, please line up.” Taemin gestured at the group of restless chickens.
 
They listened to the young man, and half-heartedly formed a line in front of him.
 
Onew was visibly shaking, and Taemin noticed. He knew that this was usually Onew's favorite part of the Chicken Olympics, but Taemin didn't agree. 
 
With a sigh, Taemin let the chickens be freed from the terror known as the tasty competition, "Alright... I'm not much of a chicken eater myself... And since Onew isn't here, we are canceling the tasty competition."
 
The chickens burst into something that could be considered a celebration. They all began clucking, squawking, and being loud in general at the news that they wouldn't have to face the tasty competition. Well, most of them were celebrating. 
 
Onew was in shock. I-I-I don't have to participate in the tasty competition? Oh my goodness... I can't explain what I feel. He was feeling immensely relieved, but he was so surprised  that he was unable to move. Taemin noticed this and came over to the chicken, scooping the bird into his arms and causing a few stray feathers to drift towards the hard earth. 
 
"Come one, little fella. Lets get you back to the coop so you can rest."
 
Onew didn't protest, he just sat in Taemin's arms, dead to the world. He still couldn't believe how close he was to being part of the tasty competition. I swear, if I ever become human again, I will never host another Chicken Olympics for as long as I live. I didn't realize just how torturous this kind of experience was...
 
Taemin brought his boss to the chicken coop and made sure that he was nice and comfortable before leaving, "I think you need some rest little guy. I'll see you tomorrow!" With a small wave, the farmhand left the coop and returned to the crazy party hosted by the other chickens. 
 
Onew sat in the warmth of the chicken coop, silently dozing off. He dreamt of flying chickens, chickens racing at 200mph in sleek sports cars, and even of chickens chasing him with sharp knives and forks. He woke up, breathing heavily and alone. Panting, he sat up, running his fingers over his bare legs. 
 
Wait
 
Onew looked down in surprise to discover he was back in his human body. Squealing with delight, Onew leaped to his feet, slamming the top of his head on the low roof of the coop. Rubbing his sore head, Onew crawled out of the coop, a light breeze sweeping over his bare skin. It was then that he noticed he was completely . 
 
Uh... I better get some clothes on before Taemin sees. I'll never be able to live it down if he catches me. 
 
Sneaking into the worn down farm house without Taemin noticing turned out to be fairly easy, Onew didn't realize that his assistant spent the night waiting up for Onew in the older man's room. 
 
After rubbing his sleepy eyes, Taemin glanced up when he heard the door to Onew's room creak open. His eyes bulged when he saw a Onew standing in the doorway, and the younger man let out a shriek. 
 
"Onew! What are you doing and where are your clothes?"
 
Onew gaped at the boy sitting in the wooden rocking chair in the corner of the master bedroom. Taemin's hair was disheveled and he had dark circles under his eyes from lack of sleep since he stayed up to wait for Onew to return from god knows what. 
 
Taemin covered his eyes with his hands before saying anything. "Boss? Why don't you have any clothes on?"
 
"I'm but sure."
 
"O-oh. Okay."
 
Onew hurriedly ran ingo the closet and pulled on a black t-shirt and a pair of well fitting skinny jeans. 
 
"You can look now." Onew assured Taemin after getting the clothes on. Taemin removed his hands from in front of his face. 
 
"Boss? Where were you yesterday? I had to do the Chicken Olympics without you." Taemin pouted, "I hope you aren't mad."
 
"Mad? Of course not, Taeminnie. It's okay."
 
"There's always next year, right?" Taemin asked cheerfully. 
 
"Actually... There will be no more Chicken Olympics." Onew confessed. 
 
"What?" Taemin's mouth fell open in surprise. Onew loved the Chicken Olympics. Taemin couldn't believe his ears. 
 
"I said that there will be no more Chicken Olympics. I've decided to just live my life with my chicken friends in peace and happiness."
 
"You're not going to eat them anymore?"
 
"Nope. I'm going to eat tofu! I hear is good for your skin."
 
"Okay then..." 
 
Living as a chicken for a day changed Onew's perspective tremendously. He no longer had the desire to nibble on the chickens that lived with him, instead all he wanted to do was cuddle and eat tofu. 
 
That's exactly what he did.