I will forget you

Yesterday Once More

Busan, 2013

Park Shin Hye's POV

 

Hanyan Preschool is famous for being the best preschool in Busan. The teachers and the staffs are friendly and very accomodating. I am the teacher for pre-readers, children ages 2 to 4 years old. I enjoy teaching young kids and play with them. I feel as though I am their mother. 

Tomorrow will be an important day for me and the kids. The annual festival of families will take place tomorrow. I am busy conceptualizing the designs and program for tomorrow's activity when I heard a soft knock on the door. A man wearing his infamous business suit and his perfectly styled hair came into my view then a sweet smile plastered my face when he lightly pinched my right cheek.

 

"Can I talk to you Miss Teacher?"

"Omo! Jong Hyun Sunbae, you came!"

"Of course, who can resist the puppy dog eyes and the pleading look from my favorite friend?"

"Arasso, thank you for coming here. I am sorry for disturbing you Mr. CEO. But I really need your help because the children will be early tomorrow for the festival."

"I told you that today is my 'free' day at work. The board of Directors won't look for me. What do you think I can do for my Lady here?"

"Yah! Sunbae, why do you keep on calling me that? It's embarassing, you know."

"What's wrong with calling you 'my Lady'? Shin Hye-ah, do you think I am qualified to be your namjachingu?"

"Yah!"

"Arasso, I am just kidding here. Come on, let's start decorating the room."

"Sunbae, I have a favor to ask, tomorrow will be the festival and I am lacking in performers too. Can you do me a favor by singing a song in front of the children? Please sunbae, I will treat you lunch if you will agree."

"Haha, so you want me to sing in front of little children? Hmmm... I think about it."

"Oppa, please!"

"Omo! Say that again and I will agree to your plead no matter what. Say that magic word, Shin Hye-ah."

"Oppps, sorry. I did't mean to call you that."

"Just say it and I will sing a song, play the guitar, have fun with the children tomorrow and I can even help you clean- up after the festival is over. Please call me that again, Shin Hye-ah. No more 'sunbae', I am your 'oppa' now."

"Uhmmm.op...ppa..."

"Alright, you have to be used to it. I won't accept you calling me 'sunbae' ever again. I love it when you call me 'oppa'.

"But I still want to call you 'sunbae'."

"Aigoo. Shin Hye-ah, I worked so hard to gain that word from you. Don't you think I deserve a reward? If you call me 'oppa' I will be the happiest man in Busan."

"Don't play your tricks on me, Lee Jong Hyun-sshi! Are you going to help me here in decorating or not?"

"Hahaha. Now you want to change the topic. Alright, I will obey my Lady's decision."

 

Our playful conversation lasts until afternoon. Lee Jong Hyun is my close friend. I met him during my college years here in Busan. Since then, he became a friend, a supporter and a brother to me. He's the son of the famous 'Lee Logistics', a company famous for shipment worldwide. Although he is the son of the owner, he is very humble and kind towards people. I insisted in calling him 'sunbae' because I am really shy calling her 'oppa'. He respect me and never fails to make me smile. But I think, I will settle in calling him 'sunbae' for now. There are times when he asked me if I can be his girlfriend. I did not respond to him. I just stared at his eyes. He knows that I am not yet ready to fall in love again. I love him as my friend and I really treasure the friendship that we have that's why I am not yet comfortable to take what we have into the the next level. I will settle for being friends with him because I know that if we start the romantic relationship, somehow it will complicates everything. 

 

The scar of my first love is still lingering in my heart. Even after four years, the wound is not completely healed. I used to cry at night and asked myself why does it need to end. I know I am not enough for him but the hurt and pain that I experienced after the break up literally makes me half dead, half alive. I thought I can imagine how much it will hurt but I was wrong. 

 

As the rain started to pours outside, I can't help but think about him. Jung Yong Hwa, my childhood friend and first love. I hope he is happy now with his life. I am barely moving on but I think I need to give myself a fresh start with Jong Hyun sunbae. I will open my heart bit by bit for his love to me. I know that my first love wasn't meant to be. I do relly hope that Yong Hwa will find the right woman who can make him happy and love him regardless of his imperfections.

 

A single tear escaped from my eyes. It's been a long time since I cry. I will forget you Yong Hwa. That's the thought that keeps on playing in my head as I succumb to sleep.

 

Flashback (4 years ago)

 

"Oppa, what did you say?"

"Let's break up, Shin Hye-ah."

"Oppa, why are you telling me this? What's wrong? Please tell me what's wrong? Did I hurt you or did I failed to love you?"

"Shin Hye, I will be studying overseas. I am not sure how long I will stay there. I don't want you to wait for me."

"You don't know what you are saying, Oppa. You are selfish! How can you say those words to me?"

"Shin Hye, you are my childhood friend and you're quite aware of my reputation as the "Lady's man". I cannot guarantee loyalty. Through the years I changed a lot. I do not want you to be hurt further Shin Hye-yah. If we break up now, the pain will be much more bearable for us. I realized that I don't want to be attached anymore. Mianhe, Shin Hye-ah. I have my reasons in breaking up with you."

"Reasons? What kind of senseless reasons, Oppa? So you played with my feelings? You make me stupid by believeing that you really love me? Am I mistaken the friendly love and thought that it was something romantic? Oppa, I thought you love me?"

"Someday you will understand and realized that my love for you was real, no pretenses."

"Oppa, I don't know what to think anymore. Your reason is very simple. I don't believe that you love me. If you really love me, you will fight for me but I guess the old 'Yong Hwa' that I used to know is a coward now. I will respect your desicion. Let's set each other free if that is what you want."

 

I stormed out of the restaurant with a shattered heart and a broken soul. How can Yong Hwa say those stupid words? The rain started to pour down and I am slowly being drench under the cold rain. I can hear my heart shattering while the rain pours down on my body. That day I realized that love freely given can be taken away by the giver and that love cannot and should not be forced. 

A week after our break up, Mr. Han gave me a letter. He told me that it was from Yong Hwa. I didn't dare open the letter because I know that it will just bring pain in my already shattered heart. A year after, I mustered the courage to open the letter and the pain came back at me like a boomerang and hit me square in the face. 

 

 

(Next Chapter will be Yong Hwa's POV. The break up is not clearly explained, but don't worry, I will include more details on my next chapter. Thank you for supporting my story! YongShin couple Fighting! )