Throwing Away My Pride

2nd Confession

She stared out the window and wondered when he would be back. It has been almost 6 months since he left and he hasn't contacted her as often as they had planned before he left. At first, he'd still try to call no matter how busy he was. Soon, their phone calls got shorter. "I'll call you back tonight after I finish my meetings" He would tell her before hanging up abruptly. She would wait patiently all the time but those calls never came. She wouldn't complain but soon, she too, stopped waiting for his calls. She didn't bother calling back as she was independent and that was one of the reason he fell for her. Eventually, he didn't even bother to call. He'd send her text messages, once a week, updating her about his week and when she replied, he wouldn't text back.

She picked up a photo frame and in it was a photo that they took together before he left. They were both smiling and he had his arms wrapped around her tightly. "Will everything be the same when he's back?" She thought out loud before placing the photo back on the shelf. She couldn't help wondering what changed between them. Where did the promises they made go? All her friends told her to move on because it could be that he met someone new there. But she refused to, because she promised to wait till he returned and also because she still loved him.

Finally, the day came. He returned to Korea. He didn't tell her his flight details so all she could do was wait patiently at home for him to return. She tidied up the house and cooked his favourite dishes. She waited and waited and then he came through the front door at midnight. She ran to his side immediately upon hearing the door opening. He saw her and smiled, handing her his bags before checking his cellphone. She smiled gently and took them from him. "Welcome back Kris. I've missed you." She said. He turned to face her and smiled, "Me too. But I've got emails to send out. We'll talk later." He gave her a light peck on her cheek before heading off to the study to finish his work.

A month passed and his work never got any lesser. They haven't spent much time together and it seems that he has totally forgotten about their relationship and what it was like before he left. She could never talk to him without getting interrupted by a phone call or an email. He stopped listening to her and only talked about his work whenever they had a chance to talk. She started feeling unwanted and her presence taken for granted. But all this time she held on and didn't complain all because she loved him.

One day, he came home from work late and things didn't go well during the day. He was irritated and they got into an argument. "How is it that you can forget something so simple? I told you I wanted dinner right?" He yelled. She had to work late and fell asleep once she got home. "I'll cook something now. It'll be quick." She tried to explain. He didn't even wait for her to finish and shouted, "That's not the point. The point is you forgot! What am I to you?" By then, she couldn't control her emotions anymore and tears fell uncontrollably. "I'm sorry. I had to work late today." She explained in between sobs. He had never shouted at her before, this was the first time. He scoffed, "What's the use of crying or apologising when it's clear how important I am to you." 

She was shocked hearing his words. "How important you are to me? The past months while you were overseas, I waited for you even though you seldom called. I waited for you to come back and when you came back, I suddenly wasn't good enough to even receive a hug or even some of your attention? If you want to talk about importance, I believe your work is more important than me! This all changed when you got the promotion. Suddenly you're too rich and popular for me? You're such a jerk!" The words she hid from him were finally said. The next second, he lifted his hand and landed it right on her left cheek. She covered her cheek in shock and ran into the room. She knew what she had to do.

A year passed and things were going well. She had moved into her own apartment and continued to work at the cafe just down the street from where she lived.

"Boss, we have a customer who wants to order cupcakes for a company event. It's a large order! Come out quick!" Her worker called out to her excitedly.

"I'll be right there, Kyungsoo!" She cleaned her hands and went out to greet this customer.

He smiled when he saw her shocked expression. "What brings you here?" She stuttered nervously. He had never visited her at work while they were together. She wasn't even sure if he knew the address then. "I'd like to order some cupcakes. A thousand to be exact.", he said, confidently, as if he knew she worked here.

"I'm sorry but we don't do bulk orders." She replied, coldly. Kyungsoo grabbed her aside. "What are you talking about? Even if you don't like this guy, you have to take his order!"

"I'm afraid I can't take this order because we do not have enough staff." She argued. Kris smirked, unafraid. "If you knew how much I'm willing to pay you for the cupcakes, you'll be willing to do it. You have to." 

Kyungsoo stepped away into the kitchen when he noticed the changed expression on her face, knowing what was about to come. She clenched her fists and held it in, knowing that she couldn't avoid this order, since money was what she needed to keep her cafe open. She had to take any order that came in. She took out her notepad and pen slowly, forcing out a smile. "A thousand cupcakes for?" 

He smiled. "My wedding." 


Posted 28th December 2013