Our Ex-Story

Winter, Coffee, Our Ex-Story

Putting on a pair of light brown sneakers, I made my way out of my cold apartment. The door shut tight as I was greeted with nothing but chilly air. Scowling a little, unconsiously, I pulled on the sweater so that it could cover my arms and neck. Heck, it’s not that I was scared of being sick, I was scared of being a lonely, sick boy on Christmas which would come in less than a week.

The weather was sickly cold. It was pass eight in the evening and the street was still crowded with couples, hand in hand and talking sweet nothings to each other. I felt bitter at my nose, old memories came back in a flash and I had to in a deep cold breath to prevent myself from breaking into tears. I missed her.

Seoul at night was sure beautiful, lights and people added in to its breathtaking sight. I used to love it, a lots. But why now I felt like every pretty thing around was teasing me ? Maybe because I couldn’t enjoy them like I used to do. I couldn't be the same guy, I now had a good career and a group of good bubbies, but, I lost her.

My phone rang inside my pocket. I guessed it has been ringing for a while now, but I didn’t hear a sound due to the attraction of Seoul night. And the caller had just confirmed my guess because he immediately shouted into the speaker, asking why I made him wait for so long before picking up.

“Himchan, what do you want ?”, my voice must have scared him off because I heard his stammer before another strain sound of nagging coming from my bestfriend for 7 years.

"You will not believe me, I tell you, I met a girl today-"

Again, why he kept calling me and being all fussy over this girl or that girl he met. It's not like I was a bad friend who never shared thoughts with anyone, but he got on my nerves sometimes. If only he ended up with one of those girls he met and had a romantic story, like I used to have. I would be the best friend this time and advised him to treat her better than I could.

"I'm not in the mood, Chan. Will call you later" I turned off the call and decided to switch my phone to vibrate. I needed alone time tonight.

Either YoungJae or Daehyun would call me crazy, because I came to this coffee every night. Sitting blankly here and staring out of the street, looking at people passing by with a dry feeling.

"I'm waiting for her" - that's my answer to all of their accusations. But that's my true intention, admit it or not, my mind and foot would always lead me to this coffee shop everytime I decided to take a scroll around the town.

One year straight, I made sure to come here 365 times. Even the waiter here was slowly becoming my friend, he was a nice guy, and he was thoughtful enough to never ask me the reason why I came here as if I was the owner of this shop. But why today he made a dare move and asked me that question.

Laughing bitterly, I gave him an answer from my heart, "I'm waiting for her"

His eyebrows met each other, he was trying to recall who I was talking about, and his face lit up like a Christmas tree. Of course he must know, the day he came here to apply for the job was the day I confessed to her.

"You mean, Sunhee noona ?", his eyes were larger than normal. And I wondered why. Isn't it obvious that I'm waiting for Sunhee ? He also one of those rare people who had a chance to witness my stupid night, the day I let her go. And after that winter night, I hadn't met any other girls, and my heart was still beating for only her. My Sunhee.

"I thought you must be-"

He turned back to reply to his manager. I chuckled lowly, waving him off, "Your boss will be angry. It's okay, you could tell me whatever you have in your mind later. I also want to have my own time here. Be a good worker, Junhong"

He smiled hesitantly. "Um, I will be back, hyung". And he ran back to his spot at the counter. I smiled to myself. I was such a lucky guy to have many thoughtful friends around.

I stared at a cup of black coffee in front of my eyes. The smoke came off from it giving me a pain in the heart. It brought back so much memories. Trying to tear my thought off of it, I lifted my gaze and looked at the street through the window. People rushed through, some went inside the coffee, some hurriedly covered their skin and ran faster to keep warm. I saw couples, children with their mothers, and even loners like me.

Looking at the busy, cold street was no help, since it brought back more memories than I wished.

My eyes found theirs way back to the enviroment inside the coffee shop. This coffee shop was the only shop I have ever come to. I was not a coffee-guy. I barely knew how coffee tasted before. And not until I was 20 that I knew how bitter sweet it was. That's when I met her. Yoon Sunhee.

 

"Captain, the school already know about us beating up Yeonyoung School's jerks yesterday" - one of my team member yelled loudly as I was bouncing the ball around the court.

Breathing heavily, I slammed the ball against the hard ground and made my way out of the practicing place. ", they will get it when I found out who is under all of this".

No one was gonna touch my business. I didn't care who it was, I would make him pay no matter what. Now someone dared to spill to the teachers. And I had someone in my mind. That jerk Park Kiyoung. He always got in my way. That's his jealousy for not being as good as I was.

"PARK KI YOUNG !". Students of that class broke into flying bees and ran out of the room as soon as I made my way in. I noticed few of the students were still staying root inside, must be Kiyoung's stupid crew.

Kiyoung raised his head and met eyes with me. I swore I saw surprise in his eyes. But his big ego hid it away and he dared to stand up, kicking his table towards my way.

"What the are you doing here ?", he growled, acting all like a crazy dog for his friends' entertaining show.

I would laugh my head off if this was a gag show, but no, this involved my pride. " ? Now you used bad word against me ? Park Ki Young, who gave you that permission to talk about me to the school ?", I grabbed his chin and pulled him up. I worked out, and played basketball, I was sure much bigger than him in both physical and mental ways.

His friends backed away like scaredy cats and made their run as soon as their backs reached the door. I smirked mockingly at his betrayed expression. "G-Guys !"

I tightened my grip on his chin. One word this guy uttered out could make me angry without a reason. I just wanted to crush him into pieces, and that's what I was about to do if not for a voice to cut in.

"Stop ! What are you two doing ?!"

Her voice was sweet, despite the fact that she was giving me a hard glare and her hands were prying my fist off of Kiyoing's stupid face.

"Who are you ? This is none of your business", I widened my eyes at her. But the girl was either ignorance or scareless because she kept on pulling me off Kiyoung.

"Sunhee-ah" Kiyoung had that relieved look in his eyes. Now I wondered who this girl was that could turn the reckless Kiyoung into some kind of lovestruck idiot.

But before I could make out who she was, my grip was pried off and Kiyoung made a dare move to slam his fist on my cheek.

"YAH ! YOU ING LITTLE PUNK", I lost all of my control and lunged for Kiyoung. But Sunhee - I recalled her name - stepped in between us and threw her arms around my waist to stop my moving.

"Yah !" I managed to let out as she was burying her face into my chest as well.

Kiyoung stared in shock, he muttered out, "Sunhee-yah, what are you doing ?", he tapped on Sunhee's back and the girl whirled her head around, still didn't let me go. "I'm disappointed in you, Kiyoung. Why must you hit him when he had already let go of you ?"

I stared down at the girl in utter shock. I was sure that she knew Kiyoung, and I was totally a stranger to her. Why the hell she defended me but not Kiyoung ?

"Clean the mess before the teacher comes in", she told Kiyoung before giving me another shockwave. She grabbed me all the way to the clinic.

 

"Yah", I growled as she put oilment on my sore cheek. The cut from Kiyoung's ring must be really bad.

She shot me a look, "You are not a baby, be a man and sit still so that I could treat your cheek"

And I had no idea why I really shut up towards this small, harmless girl. I was Bang Yongguk for the god's sake.

We stayed in that position for longer than 15 minutes. I grew attached to her scent, which smelt like apple. That's weird, I only knew her barely in less than an hour.

"It looks fine now. You could go back to your class, and, don't cause anymore fight", she chuckled. Her smile was as bright as sunshine on a winter day, it warmed up my cold heart and rang a bell to my wild young life.

"Hmm ?", she tilted her head in confusion as I didn't move a bit since she told me to go.

"What's your name ? What do you like and where do you live ?"

She gasped, formed a cute circle after I asked her that. Don't blame me, I was a straightforward guy. I wanted to know more about this angel.

 

And after only 3 months, we grew closer than my expectation. Coming from a little smile she gave me everytime we passed each other, and little conversations I tried to make up, little quarrels whenever I about her being too boy-ish, ... and now we were in between the line of friendship and love.

I decided to confess to her and make her mine after receiving encouragements from Himchan. After that last line he called me a 'coward' that I had to make him see.

"I like you more than a friend. Now would you be my girlfriend ? But I bet no one will be a better boyfriend than I am, so yeah, you have no other choice". I asked her, no, more like affirmed our relationship. I would not let her say no as an answer. Because I would kill anyboy who dared to have her heart first, then she could only choose me.

Being excessive, but really, I loved her so much that I could trade anything I had only to have her.

Sunhee broke into a disbelieving laughter. She choked on her coffee - oh yes, it was Sunhee who introduced me to coffee, she was a coffee-maniac and didn't allow me to meet her anywhere beside this coffee shop near our campus.

"Oh my gosh, Yongguk. You are really not a romantic type !", she exclaimed while wiping her lips with a tissue.

"Is it bad ? You want another more romantic guy ?!", I got jumpy and was about to ask who was the jerk that was more romantic than me - a blunt, silly guy.

She shook her head lightly and smiled that sweet, loving smile of hers. I could feel my heartbeat went fast and everything was in slow motion as she leaned over and pressed her lips against my cheek.

I was gapping like a blowfish when she brought me up to the cloud ninth by her answer. "Yes, yes, Bang Yongguk. I will be your girlfriend"

That marked the day she became mine. The day our story began and I promised myself to will never hurt her once.

 

And I was so stupid to break that promise after exactly two year we were together. I can't believe I accused my girlfriend of cheating on me, of being a ... a ...

She was my angel, my sunshine since day one until now. I was wrong for letting anger take control of my mind and slipping that word out of my mouth.

I was blind and deaf right after I saw her laughing and even hugging Kiyoung in a party of our year. I was busy with a national game and couldn't promise to come with her. But I made it in the last minute and headed to the party, in hope to surprise her. But I was shocked to see her dancing with Kiyoung, hugging him as if he was her prince charming from the start. The only question on my mind was "Did she cheat on me from the start ? Did she date me because she wanted to take back to what I had done to Kiyoung that day ?"

And hell broke loose. I lost her that night. When I called her out to talk but ended up yelling and accusing her all by myself. My girlfriend sat there, crying and trying to explain to me. But I didn't hear her once. I was so angry, so mad, so betrayed that I lost one last chance to hear her out.

I was the one to bring up the break-up part. I was even delightful to tell her to get away and never appear in my life ever again. I was feeling light-headed to see her dashing out of the shop with teary eyes and a few words back for me, "I love you, Yongguk ..."

I used to think that she was trying to have my mercy. But no. After I found out that Kiyoung was actually her cousin from a friend of hers. Why she never mentioned it to me ? Maybe because she was scared, after all, Kiyoung and me were not born to be under the same firmament.

Now I didn't even have a little idea of why she still said those words to me after I called her all kind of bad names.

Yoon Sunhee, where are you now ? Will you still remember me if we have a chance to meet again ? Will you still say those words to me ever again ... ?

 

______________________________________________________________________________

How do you guys feel about this chapter :) ?

I personally feel a little down, since I never wrote angst-like before

Hope to make up for my lackings here in the next chapter :)

Comment, please.