Open Book

Twilight

The next day was both good and bad. It was good because it hadn’t started snowing (yet) although the skies threatened it. It was better because I knew what to expect. G-Dragon sat with me during English then walked me to my next class with Daesung glaring at him the whole time. People weren’t staring as much and I sat with the people I had met yesterday at lunch. I began to feel like I could actually survive here.

It was bad because I was tired; I still couldn’t sleep because of the cold, I even had the thermostat in my room up high! Also, Mr. Park called on me today Science when I hadn’t even raised my hand and I answered it wrong. Gym was great, no injuries so far.

It was also bad because Onew wasn’t in school at all.

I had been dreading lunch all morning, not wanting to feel his eyes on me. I wanted to confront him and ask him what his problem was. But I knew myself and I knew I wouldn’t have the guts.

But today, when I walked into the lunchroom with Dara – all the while trying not to look for Onew and failing at doing so – I saw the rest of SHINee were sitting at the same table as yesterday but he wasn’t there with us.

G-Dragon saw us and dragged us over to his table. Dara seemed ecstatic that he had payed attention to her and her friends soon joined us. I was trying to join in the conversations but my mind was elsewhere, dreading the moment when he walked in.

He didn’t come at all.

I walked to art with more confidence because he still hadn’t shown by the end of lunch. G-Dragon, who had taken on the attributes of a hyperactive child, walked with me. Onew wasn’t in the room at all. I sat in my seat as G-Dragon started talking about this trip to a lake when the bell rang and he had to move to his seat.

I was happy that I had the desk to myself, that Onew was absent. But I couldn’t get over the thought that I was the reason he wasn’t here. It was stupid to think I could affect anyone that badly. It was incredibly dumb, but I kept thinking it was true.

When school was over I was glad to see that my hyperactive child friend wasn’t waiting for me. I walked to the parking lot and got into my car. I had discovered last night that appa couldn’t really cook so I suggested I should cook while I was staying here and he gladly accepted the offer. I had a shopping list and money, and I was on my way to thee shops.

I waited in the line of cars to exit the parking lot. I saw SHINee get into their shining car. I hadn’t noticed what they were wearing before – I was too drawn in to their faces. It was obvious they all dressed like they were some big idol group.

As I passed them I just kept looking forwards. The store wasn’t that far from the school so I quickly collected my ingredients and headed home. I stuffed the shopping in where there was any space available and got the preparation done for dinner.

I decided to read Jane Eyre – the book we were reading in English- again for the fun if it and that’s what I was doing when appa came home.

“Sun-Young?” He called out when he heard me on the stairs. Who else would it be? I thought to myself.

“Hey appa, welcome home.” I said and he thanked me. I set dinner on the table. It was quiet for a moment before he spoke up.

“Have you made any friends?” Typical dad question.

“I have a few classes with a girl named Dara. I sit with her and her friends at lunch. And there’s Jiyong, who’s very friendly. Everyone is pretty nice.” There is one exception though.

“That must be Kwon Jiyong. Nice kid – nice family. His dad runs the sporting goods shop.”

I hesitated for a moment before asking him a question. “Appa, do you know the boys they call SHINee?” He nods in reply. “They’re very . . . different. They don’t seem to fit in at school.”

Appa surprised me by looking annoyed.

“This town.” He muttered. “One of the boys, Minho, works in the hospital here. He’s brilliant, and could work at any hospital in the world and get paid more but he chooses to stay here. I had my doubts when they moved here thinking they would cause trouble but not one single infringement. They stick together like brothers, going on camping trips almost every weekend. But just because they’re different people talk.”

It was the most I’ve ever heard him talk so I quickly backpedalled.

“Don’t get me wrong they seem nice enough. They just seem to keep to themselves, but they are quite attractive.”I say, trying to be more complimentary.

“It’s a good thing Minho’s young otherwise a lot of the nurses would be after him.” We lapse back into silence. We finish eating and I start doing the dishes. I went upstairs and did my science homework.

It was finally warm enough for me to sleep last night. Or was it that I had gotten used to the temperature?

The rest of the week was boring. I got used to my routine at school and by Friday I was soon recognised as an athlete.

But Onew still hadn’t shown up.

Every day I watched and waited as the rest of SHINee entered the cafeteria without him then when I saw he wasn’t with them I would relax and listen to the conversation on hand. It was usually about the trip to the lake in two weeks that G-Dragon had organised. I agreed to come out of politeness.

By Friday I was comfortable walking into my art class, no longer worried about Onew. For all I knew he could’ve dropped out of school. I tried not to think about him but I still felt responsible for his continued absence. My first weekend in Korea passed smoothly.

People greeted me in the parking lot Monday morning. I didn’t really know their names but I waved back and smiled at everyone. It was colder this morning but not raining. G-Dragon sat next to me in English, where we had a pop quiz on Jane Eyre which was very easy.

When we walked out of class people were shouting excitedly as small white balls of fluff floated around them.

“Wow it’s snowing.” G-Dragon remarked. I looked at the cotton fluffs that were accumulating on the sidewalk and scrunched up my nose. “What don’t you like snow?”

“No it means it’s too cold for rain.” Duh. “Anyway I thought it was meant to come down in flakes.”

“Haven’t you ever seen snow before?”

“Sure I have. On TV.”

He laughed. And then a dripping, mushy ball of snow hit the back of his neck. I guessed it was Daesung; he was walking away with his back to us. G-Dragon must’ve had the same thought as I did as he was gathering up a pile of snow. I quickly said goodbye and headed inside the building for safety.

I walked attentively into the cafeteria with Dara after Language. Mush balls were flying everywhere so I kept a binder in front of me at all times as a guard. She laughed at me but something about my demeanour stopped her from throwing a snowball at me.

G-Dragon caught up to us with ice melting in his hair. He and Dara were talking excitedly about the big snowball fight they had planned for later. It looks like I’m going to have to hang out in the gym for a while after school. I glanced at that one table I always look at as we got in line for food and that’s when I froze. There were five people at the table. Dara tugged at my arm.

“Hello? Sun-Young? What do you want?”

I looked down; I could feel the blush rising on my cheeks. I have no reason to feel like this. I haven’t done anything wrong.

“What’s wrong with Sun-Young?” G-Dragon asked Dara.

“Nothing.” I answered. “I’ll just get a bubble tea today.”

“Aren’t you hungry?” Asked Dara.

“Actually, I feel a little sick.” I said, still looking at the floor. I waited for them to get their food then followed them to the table with my eyes down.

I slowly sipped my bubble tea, my stomach swirling. Twice G-Dragon asked with unnecessary concern how I was feeling. I told him I was fine but I was considering playing it up so I could miss the next hour.

Stupid idea. I shouldn’t have to hide myself.

I decided to allow myself one glace to their table. If he was glaring I would decide to skip art like the wimp I was.

I glanced up from under my lashes. None of them were looking so I lifted my head a little.

They were laughing. Onew, Minho and Taemin all had saturated hair with melted snow. Key and Jonghyun were leaning away from Taemin as he shook his head, water droplets going everywhere. They were enjoying the snowy day as much as the rest of the school were.

But there was something different and I couldn’t quite place it. Onew’s skin looked less pale and the circles under his eyes were less noticeable. But there was more to it so I kept staring and wondering.

“Sun-Young, what are you looking at?” intruded Dara, eyes following my stare. At that moment, his eyes flashed over to meet mine.

I dropped my head, letting my hair fall to hide my face. I was sure that his eyes didn’t look harsh or mean as they had last time. He looked merely curious.

“Onew is staring at you.” Dara giggled in my ear.

“Does he look angry?” I asked.

“No. Should he be?”

“I don’t think he likes me.”

“SHINee don’t like anyone . . . well, they don’t really take enough notice of anyone. But he’s still staring at you.” She concluded.

“Stop looking at him.” I hissed.

She looked away and snickered.

G-Dragon interrupted us then. The way Dara agreed to anything he said made me think she would do anything he asked her too.

I didn’t walk with G-Dragon to class like I would usually do because he seemed to be a popular target for snowballs. But it ended up raining, making everyone but me groan. I inwardly cheered. It meant I wouldn’t have to hide in the gym after school.

As I walked into art I was happy as my desk was empty. The teacher was walking around the room, distributing papers to each pair. I kept my eyes away from the door and drew on the cover of my book.

I heard it clearly when he moved the chair next to me but my eyes stayed on my drawing.

“Hello.” A quiet, musical voice said.

I looked up stunned that he was speaking to me. He was sitting as far away from me as the desk allowed but his chair was facing me. His hair was dripping wet and dishevelled. His dazzling face was friendly, open, with a half smile on his flawless lips. But his eyes were wary.

“My name is Onew.” He continued. “I didn’t have a chance to introduce myself last week. You must be Moon Sun-Young.” He was perfectly polite now. I had to speak; he was waiting.

“H-How do you know my name?” I stuttered out.

He laughed a soft enchanting laugh.

“I think everyone knows your name. The whole town’s been waiting for you to arrive.”

Thankfully the teacher started the class and explained that we would be indentifying the different painting techniques in front of us on the piece of paper.

“Ladies first?” Onew asked. I looked up at him to see a beautiful crooked smile that I could only stare like an idiot.

“Or I could start, if you wish.” The smile faded; he was obviously wondering if I was mentally challenged.

“No I can do it.” I said flushing. “Broken colour.”I said straightaway pointing to the first one.

“This one?” He asks, pointing to the same one. His hand bumped mine and his hands were ice-cold. I jerked away but it wasn’t the coldness that was the reason why. When he touched me a jolt of electricity flowed through my body.

“Sorry” He muttered. “Impasto.” He said, pointing to the next one.

“This one?” I say, copying his tone of voice. He smirked and nodded.

We finished before anyone else did. I could see G-Dragon and his partner constantly arguing over which was which and another group had the internet up on their phones under the table.

I glanced up at him to see him staring at me, the same unexplainable look of frustration in his eyes. Suddenly I realised the difference in his face.

“Did you get contacts?” I said without thinking.

“No.” He said, seeming puzzled.

“Oh. I thought there was something different with your eyes.”

He looked away and shrugged.

But I was sure there was something different. I remember the flat black colour they were last time but today they were a strange amber colour. I couldn’t understand how that could happen, unless he was lying for some reason.

I looked down. His hands were clenched tightly into fists again.

The teacher came around to check our work, which were all correct.

“It’s too bad about the snow isn’t it?”He asked.

“Not really”

“You don’t like the cold.” That was obviously not a question.

“Or the wet.” Pretty soon he had you talking about why you moved here.

“Am I annoying you? He asked. He sounded amused.

I glanced at him without thinking and told the truth. “Not really I’m more annoyed at myself. My face is an open book.”

“Quite the difference. I find you quite hard to read and I’m a good reader.” He smiles widely, flashing a set of perfectly straight white teeth.

When the bell rang Onew swiftly rushed out from the room like he did last Monday.

When school ended I was in my car when I saw Onew leaning on the front door of his car watching me. I swiftly looked away and smoothly pulled out of the parking space and out of the parking lot.