First Sight

Twilight

I sigh and climb out of the car. It was snowing, as per usual. Well, at least that’s what appa said South Korea was almost always like. All snow no sun. Anyway let me introduce myself. I’m Moon Sunyoung. My mother was from America so when mum and appa split she whisked me away to the sunny city of Austin, Texas. That’s where she found my soon-to-be step-dad Mick. He’s nice enough, but I just don’t want to have to move to New York for his big business job. Plus I feel like I’m always intruding in their privacy all the time. So that’s why I came to live with my appa. He’s happy enough to have me. Actually I think he’s really excited about it because he seemed ecstatic on the phone. He’s a manager at some big-time fancy-shmancy company so he has the sleek Porsche and everything. When we got to appa’s house it was bigger than I remember. I wonder if he’s changed my room into a study or something.

“Sunyoung honey I’ll grab your stuff and you can head up to your room. I’ve made a few changes to make it look like it belongs to a girl your age. I’m sure you’re going to love it.” He says with a confident smile. I force a smile back and hope it doesn’t look like I’m in pain.

“Thanks appa.” I say heading inside and following the familiar path I followed at least five years ago. I push the door open and stare around amazed. My dad really went all out. A brand new Apple Mac sat on the modern desk painted a royal blue while a four-poster bed sat in the corner of the room in front of a flat screen. The bed had the same colour curtains as the desk hanging down with a lavender bedspread and pillows. A white shag rug sat in the middle of the room, stark against the dark wood floorboards. The curtains were decorated with white lace and the feature wall was painted a smoky grey colour. A white lounge sat in the corner with a small blue table that was obviously a set with the desk. I walk over to one of the walls and grasp a handle, pushing the door aside and revealing a huge walk-in wardrobe. Appa comes in with all of my luggage.

“Do you like it? I chose everything myself.” He says anxiously waiting for an answer.

I nod my head excessively. “I love it da- I mean appa. Thank you.” I say and hug him. He smiles broadly and returns the hug. A horn honks in the driveway and I look at the window.

“Your home-coming present has arrived.” He says and I race downstairs and out the front door. Awaiting me is a 1966 Shelby Cobra and a tall boy casually leaning against the hood. Appa comes out behind me and I lean over to whisper to him.

“Is the boy my home-coming present or is the car? Because I’m happy with either one of them.” I ask him with a smile. Appa sighs and shakes his head.

“The car dear.” You laugh a bit and walk over to the boy.

“Moon Sunyoung. Haven’t seen you since I used to shove snow down the back of your hoodie.” He says and as I get closer I realise who it is.

“Huang Zitao it has been a while. I still remember the time when I threw a dictionary at your head.” We both laugh at the memory and I look at the car and turn to appa. “How did you know this was my favourite?” He shrugs but I suspect he got it out of mum. Zitao pulls a set of keys out his pocket and chucks them to me.

“You’ll need these if you want to get to school tomorrow.” He says and I catch them.

“Will I be going to school with you?” I ask, hoping that with him there with me someone will actually talk to me but he shakes his head.

“I go to school in another part but we can always catch up some other time.” He replies and I nod and he gets in his car and drives off. I turn around and hug my appa excitedly. I can’t believe he actually got me a car! We go inside and have dinner, discussing the important things that have happened in our lives while we have been apart. Before I go to bed I fire up the laptop and send an email to mum letting her know that I got here safely and how appa got me a car, which I included a picture of. Yawning I look at the clock on the wall and it’s nearly midnight. Ending the email with a love you, I send it then get under the covers, nervous for the next day.

I wake up early and pick an outfit out of the wardrobe and put it on. I’m simple pair of white jean shorts with ripped black leggings underneath, a floral vintage-looking tank top, black All-Stars and to top it off a low hanging necklace with a pair of wings on it, another present from appa. Going downstairs I find a note from appa saying he had to get to work early and to have a good first day. Sighing I grab some toast and head off to my car, making sure not to spill any crumbs onto the soft leather. I had pulled the shade up-partly to stop the snow from getting in and ruining the seats and to stop people from being able to stare so easily. Finding a parking space was easy because there was hundreds. Climbing out the car I slip on a pair of shades so I can’t really see people staring at me as easily and shiver. I wish appa had reminded me to wear warmer clothes. I almost make it to the front doors before someone approaches me.

“Hey I’m Dong Yong Bae but everyone calls me Taeyang. You must be Moon Sunyoung, the new girl from America.” He says to me.

“Uh, hey.” I reply a little freaked out that he knew me. He notices the look in my eyes and laughs.

“I’m with the school news paper that’s how I know. So is it true that your mother sent you to stay with your dad because you were doing alcohol and drugs because you were taking the separation hard?” He asks me and I look at him in disbelief.

“Just because I lived in America doesn’t mean I do drugs and get drunk. Not every American is like that thank you very much. And for your information I chose to come here.” I say getting ready to stalk off.

“Wait I’m sorry. It was rude of me to suggest.” He says grabbing my arm. “How about I make it up to you by letting you sit with me and my friends at lunch. It won’t make you look as much like a loner and newbie.” I nod and smile.

“Deal.” I say and part ways with him. Me going to the admin and him going god knows where. I collect my schedule and find my locker, opening it and storing my stuff. Everywhere I am getting looks from people like I am some type of freak. Well, I guess I sort of am. After all I did live in America and the clothes I’m wearing aren’t exactly made for this weather. I head into my first class room and sit down. History was the same things that I was learning back home. Once again I think that I could’ve stayed in Austin then remember we would be moving to the Big Apple and shake the thought from my head. I had a few other classes the Physical Education. Thank goodness this school doesn’t have a sports uniform. I walk straight into the gym because I wasn’t expecting to have Phys. Ed today so I didn’t bring a change of clothes. A girl trots over in a pair of sports shorts and tank top.

“Hey I’m Park Bom. I just came over to say welcome and that you are on our team for the sport today.” She says with a bright smile.

I could help but smile back-it was just infectious. “Thanks. You probably already know my name it’s been passed around enough. What sport are we playing?” I ask and look at her waiting for an answer.

“Soccer. You do know what that is and how to play, don’t you?” She asks and I nod. “Thank goodness we actually have someone that can play on our team.” She jogged off and I get up to follow her, where she introduces me to the rest of the team. We end up winning the game and while I was waiting for everyone to come back I stood there juggling the ball. I was just about to pass the ball from my foot to my knee when a voice startled me, making me put a bit more force than I needed to into it and hitting the guy in the head with the ball.

“Mianhae!” I say hurriedly and look at him.

“I’m fine don’t worry.” He says with a smile. “I’m Daesung.” He says and I shake his hand.

“Sunyoung. Are you sure you’re okay?” I enquire and he nods his head.

“So you’re from America? I thought Americans don’t know how to play soccer, never mind knowing how to juggle the ball.” He says and I roll my eyes.

“Not every American is like that.” I say and walk off to the cafeteria for lunch. I hardly recognise any of the food there so I grab an apple and pay for it, spotting Taeyang and make my way over. He drags an empty seat next to him and I sit down in it, only to have Daesung sit down in a different chair.

“Oh hey Sunyoung!” Daesung says with a smile and Taeyang wraps an arm around my shoulder.

“So I see you’ve met my girl Sunyoung.” He says friendly.

“You’re girl?” Daesung asks confused and they started discussing things I couldn’t quite get with each other.

“Don’t worry about them, they’re boys.” A girl says sitting next to me. “I’m Sandara Park but my friends call me Dara. But you can call me Dara because I like the way you act Sunyoung.” She continues. As she talks my eyes graze over to a table where five guys are sitting quietly, not touching their food.

“Hey Dara, who are they?” I ask, nodding my head in the direction of the boys. She looks over to where I gestured and smiled.

“That’s SHINee. Hottest boys in the whole school, that’s who they are. The one with the blonde and brown hair is Jonghyun. The one sitting on his right is Key, the one next to him is Minho, next to him is Taemin and he’s the youngest then you have Onew, the leader of SHINee.” She says and I gaze at the one she named Onew. Suddenly his head turns and catches me staring so I quickly turn away and sneak a peek at him from the corner of my eyes. He was still staring at me as if I was something that interested him then turned back to his full tray of food. “Honey, don’t even bother trying to ask one of them out. They will never accept. They never had.” She sounded annoyed, like she had been turned down by one of them once already. I shrug and get up as the bell rings to go to my next class. I get to biology and walk in and the teacher directs me to the only empty chair which was beside afore mentioned leader Onew. I walk towards the seat and sit down, not staring at him. As I sit down he tenses up and tries to move closer to the window. I frown and look at myself. What does he think I am a spider or something? Do I smell? I look at him then look away, but not before noticing his eyes were black. I am puzzled but soon get lost in the work the teacher sets for the lesson.

As soon as the bell rings he stands up and leaves the class quickly. Daesung walks up to me. “What did you do? Play with your little Yankee knife?” He jokes and I laugh.

“Daesung, Yankees are from places like New York. Plus I’m more of a desert eagle kind of girl.” I say. “And I don’t know what’s wrong with him maybe he’s just being a freak.” Daesung agrees and we both walk out and go our separate ways to our lockers. Once I’m done I head out to my car and get in, heading home. Once I get there I see appa’s Porsche parked in the driveway and I hurry inside, giving him a big hug.

“Hey honey how was your first day at school?” He asks, but seeming more genuinely interested than most parents.

“Great.” I answer. “Met some new people and made some friends.” I say and appa looks at me down his nose.

“Any boys?” He asks concerned and I sigh and roll my eyes.

“No appa no boys just some friends that are boys. Taeyang who works on the school paper and Daesung that plays for the basketball team.” He nods his approval and I head upstairs to do homework. I have an email back from mum telling me how their flight was and how exciting it is to be in New York and how she wishes I was there. I feel a pang of sorrow and wonder if I really should’ve come here. Shaking that thought out of my head I head downstairs and eat dinner with dad then go to bed.