I

Fit for a Prince



    "To cute."

    "To fragile looking."

    "Ugh, no. Just no."

    The servant beside the boy sighs, signaling to the last girl to leave. The girl almost bursts into tears immediately, but keeps her composure until she was at least out of the room, and then you could hear her wails almost through the entire castle. The servant turns to the boy with a cross look.

    "Master Luhan, you can't deny every princess that walks in here because she isn't perfect." As the lecture starts, the boy, Luhan sighs, turning to sit sideways in his throne. "You have to choose a bride. Your father isn't here, and your mother is in no condition to rule. Being an only child, you father made it very clear that you couldn't take the crown until you chose a wife." As another sigh comes from Luhan, he stands from the throne and walks off, the servant still on his heels, talking every step of the way. "If you leave this kingdom without a King, do you have any idea what would happen? Robbery would be commonplace, murders would be done out in the open, and heaven forbid we find out what would happen in the dark of night."

    Finally, Luhan spins on his heel, a look of anger on his face. "I know exactly what would happen, but as much as I don't want that to happen, I'm not just going to marry for the sake of marriage!" The guardsmen open the door for Luhan as nears them. "When I find the one I want to rule by my side, then I'll marry her! But until then, I'm sure the Kingdom won't fall to pieces. It's not like we'll be waiting years for the girl I want to marry to show up." As Luhan talks, he goes outside of his room to his balcony over looking the kingdom.

    He had always considered himself to be lucky. Aldmerrow was a beautiful place, set nicely between two mountains, so for the most part their weather  wasn't terrible, but trade routes were harder to traverse, and thus, Aldmerrow had slowly become self sufficient. Waterfalls could be seen on the mountain to the south, and there had been rumors of merfolk living there, but everyone knew it was the tale of the town drunk. MerfolK lived in larger bodies of water, everyone knew that. Trolls would occasionally try to make their way into town, when they were desperate, but the guards were ever vigilant, and not a single troll attack had happened within the kingdoms walls for nearly a decade.  Others had said that fairies lived on the mountain to the east, and that other mystical beings were over the cliff to the north, but nothing had ever come of it, so for the most part, the royal Xi family had ignored the rumors.

    Luhan smiles as his eyes scan the scenery. It was always a calming image, and he had made sure that his room had a perfect view of it all. The prince leans over the balcony wall, peering down to the earth. Below, he could see the carriages for the princesses being pulled away.

    For the last two months, princess after princess had been showing up at their door, wanting to try their hand to impress Luhan, but so far, none of them had caused him to even bat an eyelash. All of these kingdoms had been raising their princesses to be dainty, and fair. A polite lady that only spoke when spoken to, or when the conversation was in desperate need of carrying.  They were taught skills like playing an instrument, or proper etiquette. For Luhan, those things were unimportant. What he wanted was a princess he could leave at home and not worry about her being , or killed. He wanted a princess that could take care of herself, and not be solely dependant on him. But it seemed like that was the princess that was in high demand now.

    In his peripheral vision, the prince sees his personal servant, Kris, come to rest on his elbows beside him. Luhan had always enjoyed the boy's company, and had considered him a friend for many years now.  He could see the wheels in Kris's head turning easily, and when the boy turns to Luhan with a smile, he can't help but smile back.

    "You have an idea, don't you Kris?" He says, standing straight again. "Come on, lets hear it." Kris turns and walks back into the prince's room, motioning for him to follow him.

    "I do, Sire." He says, running his hands over the back of a chair. Luhan goes to sit in the same chair, feeling Kris's fingers brush against his shoulders as the wrap around the sides of the chair. "You know, you always hear of a princess being captured," The boy says. He leans down, bringing his face level with Luhan's. "And a prince comes to rescue them." Luhan nods, a look of pure confusion marking his features.  Kris almost laughs at the expression, but instead, explains. "Why don't you get captured by something. Then, we'll send out a notice that whatever princess can save you will be the one that you marry."

    Immediately, Luhan's expression turns sour. "Kris, where are we going to get a dragon?" Luhan swats at Kris's hand when the other boy pokes his cheek.

    "I don't know. You're the prince." Kris clicks his tongue as he comes to sit across from Luhan. "Don't you have records of beings that have taken residence close to Aldmarrow?" Luhan wrinkles his nose. "Ah. I see." Kris says, scratching his head. "I'm sure there's som-"

    "I've got it!" Luhan says loudly, jumping up from his seat and causing Kris to  nearly jump out of his. Luhan laughs at the boy for a second before shaking his head. "There is an old, abandoned castle over the cliff a little ways. I don't have to actually be captured by anything. Just let people think I have been." Kris raises an eyebrow at the prince. "I'm willing to compromise. If a princess has the gonads to even attempt to save me from whatever creature I say has captured me, then I'll take it."

    "Gonads, Sire?" Kris questions.

    "You have a better suggestion?" Luhan asks, placing his hands on either side of Kris's chair, effectively trapping the servant, and his gaze. Kris shakes his head.

    "Well, no, but that's a rather.. Colorful way to put it, don't you think?" The boy says, focusing on looking Luhan in the eyes the best he could. "I don't think we can put that out there for others to read. I mean," He waves his arms out the best he could with Luhan right in front of him. "Do you really thing anyone would let their daughter, much less a princess, come rescue a prince who uses such language?" Luhan shrugs, turning his back on Kris.

    "Well of course not. Well have to make it sound more appealing than that." Behind him, he hears a sigh. "Alright then. Lets get to work." Kris stands, nodding to the prince as he passes by him.  Before he can get to the door, Luhan stops the boy. "By the way, have I told you that you're a genius?" Kris laughs and smiles at the boy before closing the door.

 

 

 

A/N: So, this was going to be a one shot, but as I get farther into writing it, I realize that I'm not going to like how long it's going to be for a one shot, so I'm just going to make it into a chapter fic. I don't know how long this will be, because as soon as I say "it'll be this many chapters" i'll have an idea pop into my head that'll make the story go on for another five chapters after that. So here's a snipit from what I have written currently.  I hope you like it.

Oh, and just in case you don't know, gonads is a word for the reproductive organs.. or something like that. So Luhan is saying "If she has the balls to come and try to save me, I'll take it."

Remember, comments are love, but I welcome all silent readers too. :)

xoxo