Pure-Blooded Love

Pure-Blooded Love

It was in one of my journey that I met you; the beautiful you that captured my heart and imprisoned it for eternity. I was entranced by your soft velvety voice that I felt like my loneliness for the two centuries that I am spending my whole life all alone was slowly falling into pieces. I was slowly drawn into your voice and I found myself watching you from the window singing your heart out in front of the children, who all looked at you with admiration. Who wouldn’t, anyway? Not only your voice was angelic, your face too.
 


I continued watching you even when you were done singing and began playing with the children. You watched over them with care just like a parent would to his or her children. The sound of your laugh stirs something inside of me that I haven’t felt before with anyone. Your eyes were sparkling and I can see in you that you love what you were doing. You looked so happy and alive; something that I had never felt before. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. Humans really are an amazing creature.
 


“Excuse me.”
 


I turned around in surprise, only to be greeted by your warm smile. How did you find me? It was the first time in my life that I wasn’t able to sense a human near me.
 


“Sorry to startle you, but I saw you looking from a distance so I approached you. May I know what you are doing here?”
 


You saw me? How? I haven’t noticed you looking at my way. How did this happen to me? I only stared at you, unable to say anything. You looked at me with a hint of concern in your eyes, before extending your right hand to me.
 


“I’m Cho Kyuhyun, by the way. I’m working in this orphanage for a month now. So, I’m still new here and I haven’t seen you around.” What a beautiful name! He’s a friendly and a talkative human too.
 


I stared at your extended hand for a moment before I looked at you. You smiled at me again and I felt like my heart lost a beat. You shyly rubbed your nape as you waited for my reply. I slowly lifted my right hand and when you saw what I was going to do, you hurriedly clasped my hand with your own. The feel of your soft and warm hand against mine, made me feel something inside of me sparks. I felt my cheeks burned and I swear it’s not something a normal vampire, or a pureblooded one like me should feel towards a human who could be my prey anytime I want. Maybe I am just hungry after a long journey that I had that’s why I’m feeling strange towards this Kyuhyun guy. It’s been three months that I haven’t taken a blood tablet and I know that it wouldn’t take long for me to crave for a blood.
 


I stared at your eyes with my own red ones. I want you to know who I really am. I made my fangs visible to you. I want you to be scared and ran away from me. I want you to call me a monster and cursed at me. I want you to hate me and never think of befriending someone like me.
 


“I am Lee Sungmin, one of the pureblooded vampires of the Lee clan.” I said as I slowly leaned towards your neck and I closed my eyes as I inhaled your sweet scent. “You smell nice.” I whispered as I opened my eyes and your neck where your pulse could be felt. “I haven’t drink blood from a human for ten years now. You could be a good candidate right now.”
 


That was a lie. I had never drunk a single blood from a human before. Drinking blood from a human is a big sin for us. We would be hunted down by the Vampire Hunters, the association that hunts and kills the vampires who harms any human beings. Besides, it was an oath made by our clan not to hurt any harmless human beings. As a pureblood, we were respected by other vampires and even feared. We hold higher powers than them. We could live eternally, unlike the other ordinary vampires. We could kill and control other vampires with just a snap of our fingers if they ever break one of our rules. We could turn our human prey into a vampire if we ever let them live after drinking blood from them, something that a normal vampire couldn’t do. But I would never do that to any human even if they wish to become a vampire.
 


Everyone fears me, and I wanted you to feel that. I have been living my life all alone and even though some of the pureblooded vampire girls were offering their selves to me, I couldn’t find the one thing that I have been searching for all of my life. That’s why I ran away and began searching for that one thing that I wanted to feel. Something that would make me feel alive.
 


“Pfft… Hahahahaha!”
 


I was stunned when I heard you laughing. I pulled myself away from you and looked at you in confusion. “W-why-“
 


“You’re funny! You expect me to believe in those legends?” You stopped laughing and looked at me with no hint of fear or any mockery in your eyes. “It’s 2005 already. Vampires don’t exist, unless you are a Dracula diehard fan.” You laughed again and I could only look at you in disbelief. I never expected to see a reaction like this from you.
 


“You’re not scared?” I asked as I felt embarrassed with myself for the first time.
 


You stopped and looked at me with those gentle eyes again. “I told you, vampires don’t exist. Why should I be scared of you? You’re too beautiful to be feared. Besides, if you really are a vampire, I still wouldn’t be scared of you. You could’ve hurt one of the children here, or you could’ve bitten and my blood immediately, but you didn’t.”
 


“What if I will harm one of the children without you knowing?”
 


“No, you wouldn’t.” Came your confident reply. You slowly walked to where the children are playing before turning towards me again. “I trust you enough not to do that.”
 


How? How could you trust a monster like me so easily? You, a mere human being, trusted a pureblood like me whom you just met. No one had ever trusted me like that so easily, and yet here you are saying that you trust me like it was the easiest thing to do.
 


“Come with me. I’ll introduce you to my wonderful friends.” You said as you extended your hand again towards me. I hesitated for awhile, before I decided to just go with you. You trusted me, and I don’t want to ruin that. I never thought that my life would start to change after meeting you.
 


I came to know more about you from that day. You were still a high school student, helping your parents in managing the orphanage. You are a math wizard and you always tease your sister about her being unable to comprehend with that subject. You love to sing and you always join some competition to enhance your talent. You dreamed to become a famous singer someday, and I love watching how your eyes shine whenever you talk about that dream of yours.  
 


“What’s your dream, Sungmin?”
 


You asked me one day when I was helping you get the children ready for a trip. I paused and started to think. I giggled and you looked at me in confusion. “Vampires don’t sleep, so how could I ever have a dream.”
 


Your expression suddenly changed into something I can’t quite describe. You walked towards me and the next thing you do made my heart stop beating for a second or two. You hugged me so tightly that I felt like melting in your embrace. “K-kyu?”
 


“You are a human, not a vampire. You are an angel, not a monster. You could dream just like any other human beings could.”
 


I felt like something warm had touched my heart when you uttered those words. My heart began to race when you looked at me. We stared at each other and I saw my own reflection in those pair of brown orbs. I averted my gaze from you immediately as I felt my cheeks burned. “Don’t be confused with what you are seeing in me, Kyuhyun. I am two hundred years old, older than what you think I am. I killed some of my kind and regretted nothing of it. What I am telling you is not some kind of fictional stories; it’s the truth. You may laugh at me like the first day we met, I don’t care. I want to be honest with you. Purebloods like me are dangerous. Even our kind fears us.”
 


“I’m not scared of you.”
 


I looked at you with anger-filled eyes. I could feel my fangs were starting to show again. “How could you say that? How could you say those kinds of things so easily? How could you even trust a monster like me? I could kill you anytime I want, do you know that?”
 


Those gentle eyes of yours met mine and you smiled at me with warmth. I was startled when you slowly my cheek and I suddenly wanted to cry. I don’t know why I am feeling these kind of emotions around you; emotions that I had never felt before.
 


“From day one until now, I am not scared of you. I will never be scared of you. I trust you, because I really do. You had never harm any one of us here, and that alone proves that you are not a monster. You live for so long and even though I had never experienced that, I know how sad your life being alone for those long years had been. I saw those sad looks on your eyes when we first met and I wanted to give you happiness, Min. You will never be a monster to me. Always remember that.”
 


“W-why?”
 


“Because I love you, Min. I love you so much.”
 


Tears had slowly fallen down from my eyes. Happiness, that’s what I am feeling when you wiped my tears away and brought me in your arms again. That day, we shared our first kiss; the kiss that I would treasure for eternity.
 


You asked what my dream is, and now I could confidently say that it was you. I had longed to be with someone like you, someone who could make me feel alive after all those two hundred lonely years that I existed. You brought me happiness and made me feel alive. I found the thing that I had been looking for, and it was love. I can no longer say I am a monster because you made me feel all kinds of emotions that I had never felt before. You made me believe in myself. You are too precious to me that I vowed to protect you. I’ll never let anything to harm you. You are my dream and my life, Kyuhyun.
 


For months, we were inseparable. I went to the same school with you and pretended that we are of the same age. You would tease me about it when we are alone and I could only pout at you in annoyance, something that I had never done before. You would always kiss me whenever I did that and sometimes it makes me do it on purpose just to feel your soft lips against mine. We made love a lot of times and I love watching you sleep soundly after that. You looked so vulnerable when you sleep that I can’t help but wrapped you in my arms protectively.
 


“Sleep.” I heard you whisper as you hug me back.
 


“You know it’s impossible.” I answered.
 


I felt you move underneath me and I looked up and saw you looking at me lovingly. You caressed my cheek with your thumb. “Close your eyes, Min. It will never be impossible, just like our love.”
 


“You’re really cheesy, Kyu.” I giggled and I saw you smiling at me. You moved and kissed both of my eyelids.
 


“Close your eyes, love. This time, I will be the one to watch you sleeping.”
 


I nodded my head and closed my eyes as I felt you caressing my hair softly.
 


And I'd give up forever to touch you
‘Cause I know that you feel me somehow
You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be
And I don't want to go home right now

 


My heart leapt when you began to sing. Your angelic voice that brought me to you, I’m hearing it again. My hug around your waist tightened as I felt my heart melting with your voice. I remember the movie that we both watched and I heard that song from there. Kyu, why are you singing that song? If I could really give up my immortal life just to be with you till the end.
 


And all I can taste is this moment
And all I can breathe is your life
'Cause sooner or later it's over
I just don't want to miss you tonight

 


I want to grow old with you, but since I can’t, I promise that I’ll take care of you when you grow old. I will always be beside you. I will be your feet when you can no longer walk. I will be your hands, your eyes to help you see. I will read you a lot of stories to bed. Even when your hairs are all gray, even when you forget about me, I promise to love you unconditionally.
 


And I don't want the world to see me
'Cause I don't think that they'd understand
When everything's meant to be broken
I just want you to know who I am

 


“I love you.” I whispered before I felt my whole body relaxed and soon for the first time in my life, I slept in the arms of the one I love.
 


A month had passed and you happily came to me. Your eyes were shining as you told me that you are finally going to debut. Finally, your dream of becoming a famous singer is coming true and I was so excited for you. You told me stories about the people whom you are going to work with. Some were friendly towards you and some were not. I was worried but you kept on telling me not to worry too much. We celebrated together after that.
 


Your debut day finally came and I was there watching your first performance. I can see that you were tensed but you tried to fight it. I feel very proud of you as I heard the loud cheers from the audience around me. After your performance, you came to me and I congratulated you. I got to meet your band mates; Super Junior is the name, right? They were friendly towards me that you can’t help but feel jealous. That day, I saw another side of you as one of your members tried to flirt with me. Your possessiveness. I love that side of yours too that it made me kiss your lips in front of them just to make you feel at ease. Everyone was left speechless and you just gave them a smirk before we went on our way. That y smirk of yours.
 


You became busy after that, giving us no time to be together. I continued on watching you from afar, admiring every part of you. I silently watched over you, making sure that you are always safe. But I was not able to protect you when you and your three other band members met an accident. I always went home ahead of you so you would not know that I am stalking you in every performance and shows that you attended. My whole world crushed when I heard the news and using my power, I immediately arrived at the hospital, where they brought your unconscious body. Everything was in chaos. I could smell a lot of blood and I need to control my thirst and hunger. I could never hurt anyone here. I made myself invisible so that no one could see my red eyes and sharp fangs because of the blood that I smell. I walked straight into the trauma room, and there I saw you lying on the bed, unconscious. I felt my knees weakened and seeing you on your own blood made me want to vomit. I hated blood for the first time in my life.
 


Fractured ribs, a pierced lung, less than twenty percent chance of survival, I could hardly breathe when I heard that information from the doctor when he was talking to your parents. I can see how much your father was trying to control his own tears while soothing your mother as they gasped the information that the doctor was saying. I hated myself for not being able to protect you. They say that they need to make a hole in your neck for you to be able to breath and the consequence is that you will lose your voice. It is the only way to help you breath according to the doctor, but still he was not sure if it will help you survive.
 


No! Not your voice! Anything, but not your voice.  Your voice that brought me to you. The angelic voice that made me meet my dream and to finally make me feel alive. I could never allow anyone to take that away from you. Your dream was to become a famous singer and I don’t want your dream to be taken away from you, just like how much I don’t want you to be taken away from me. I need to do something. I have to save you.
 


When they transferred you to the ICU, I went inside without anyone’s notice. I looked at all the machines connected to you. You looked lifeless. I suddenly missed looking at your lively face. My eyes were b with tears as I watched you closely.
 


“Kyu, can you hear me? There are a lot things that I wanted to tell you, so you better listen, okay?” I carefully his pale cheeks, afraid that I might hurt him more. “Do you know how I find you? It was because of your voice. Your voice brought me to you when you were singing Puff the Magic Dragon to the children in the orphanage.” I chuckled lightly despite the tears that were falling down my face. “Funny, how that kind of song could bring me to you. But it was the truth. I was living my whole two hundred years of life all alone, with no one beside me. I don’t have any friends because they were afraid with a pureblood like me. I distanced myself from anyone since then. But when I heard your voice for the first time, that loneliness I felt was slowly melting down. Thank you, Kyu.”
 


I slowly traced his lips before going down towards his neck feeling his slow pulse. “Remember the time when you introduced yourself to me and I told you who I really am? The truth is, I had never drunk a human blood before. It is against our law. I only had a medicine called a blood tablet, invented by my ancestors to help us quench our thirst and hunger for human blood. I could never hurt humans; I am tasked to protect your kind from those vampires who breaks our law. I could never hurt you. I only did that for you to stay away from me, but you didn’t. Instead, you even said that you trust me and even introduced me to those little angels. You are so gullible, you know that?”
 


I wiped my tears that fell down towards your pale cheeks. “Kyu, you want to know what my dream is, right? It is you. You are my dream. You brought light into my life and made me feel alive and loved. You were able to make me feel all kinds of emotions that I had never felt before. I don’t want to lose you. I don’t want my dream to leave me this early.” I leaned towards you and gently pressed a kiss on your forehead. “I love you. I am so thankful to have met you after those long years. You have no idea how long I have been waiting for someone like you.”  
 


I couldn’t control my tears from flowing as I memorized your face. I will carry those wonderful memories I had with you to wherever my next journey would lead me. I know I promised you that I will never leave you. I promised that I will be with you when you grow old, and to always protect you, but I couldn’t be selfish. They are going to take your voice away and I don’t want that to happen. I could not allow anyone to take away the gift that brought me to you. You are still young and you got a lot of things to do.
 


I took my ring off and slowly placed it in your ring finger. This is the only memory of me that I could leave to you. Please live happily and fulfill your dreams. I wiped my tears as I took out a small notebook and placed it on your bedside table. If you have time, please read our story. Please don’t forget about me.
 


“Let me tell you a little secret, Kyu. We, purebloods, could only die if we were hit by an anti-vampire weapon owned by the Vampire Hunters. We will also die if we turn one of our kinds into human or of we choose to sacrifice our lives for someone we love.” I slowly caressed his cheeks before kissing his lips for the last time.
 


“Forgive me for going ahead of you.”
 

 


-------------------------
 

 


With those last words, Sungmin closed his eyes and whispered an incantation. He opened his eyes, and with a tear-stricken face, smiled at Kyuhyun’s sleeping form for one last time. His body was soon turning into dust and he closed his eyes before he started to fade away.
 


Soon, Kyuhyun opened his eyes and looked all around him. The pain in his body was all gone. It felt like he just had a good sleep as he inspected his whole body for any wounds or bruises to which he found nothing. It’s weird, he thought. He looked around him and saw Sungmin’s clothes on the floor. He smiled as thoughts of his lover came rushing to his mind. He called for Sungmin, but only the silence and the beeping of the machines was the answer he received. He tried calling for him again and again, but nothing. He swears he heard Sungmin’s voice when he was in a coma.
 


He looked around again, and it was then that he saw a small notebook beside him. He grabbed it and opened the first page. The words written on it brought tears to his eyes as he realized what could’ve happened to his lover.
 


“To you, my precious one.... Live. I have seen the world long enough than you did. Let the world know that an impossible love between an immortal and a human could happen. Live for our love. Saranghae.”

 

 

 

E_N_D