Nine

The Spring of Past Memories

"--Hyukjae!" Sungmin blurted out loudly. 

Siwon looks up, a slight confusion gracing his features. Last time he checked, his ex-boyfriend was called Sungmin.

Thankfully, Kyuhyun thought of the sudden interruption as nothing more than another one of Sungmin's weird antics. However, what he was more concerned about at the moment is...

"How do you guys know each other?"

Siwon recovered quickly, deciding to play along and ask Sungmin about the sudden name change later.

"S--Hyukjae is my boyfriend I dated before I left, but who you never ended up meeting because you were busy all the time." Siwon answered and patted at the seat next to him, gesturing for Kyuhyun to sit down. "We broke up because I had to go overseas. I used to tell you about him, remember? Although now that I think of it, I don't think I ever mentioned his name..."

Siwon pointedly looks at Sungmin who gave him a grateful smile. And Kyuhyun definitely didn't miss that smile-- a smile for Siwon he wanted to wipe off Sungmin's face. He suddenly feels immensely irritated at the thought of Siwon dating the older man-- Siwon's lips on the other's M-shaped ones, Siwon's hands caressing the other's body, Sungmin responding--

"Yah, sit down." His thoughts were interrupted by an impatient Sungmin. 

Kyuhyun duly complied, although he still couldn't erase the images from his mind. 

"Now about that meal you promised me..." 

 

**

 

The rest of the dinner passed by in a blur. Siwon was filled in on how Sungmin came to work for Kyuhyun ("Out of kindness," Kyuhyun had insisted), and both Kyuhyun and Sungmin were enlightened with Siwon's overseas adventures. All too soon, it was time to go home. 

As the three men stood outside the restaurant, Sungmin held up the car keys.

"Well, the boss and I are heading off now. Do you want a lift, Siwon?" 

Kyuhyun found himself amused again. Here was Sungmin, talking as if he owned the car, while the real owner of the car just stood there watching on. And for once, he didn't feel a need to assert his superority at all. 

Siwon chuckled and shook his head. "I can drive myself fine, you know that."

What happened next, however, came as a total shock to Kyuhyun. One minute he was scoffing at the pair's exchange, and the next his eyes were greeted with the sight of Siwon enveloping Sungmin in a hug.

"It was nice seeing you again." Siwon whispered against Sungmin's ear. 

"Me too," Sungmin smiled against Siwon's shoulder. He missed comforting hugs like these, the feeling of having someone to depend on. Although he and Siwon broke up amicably, sometimes he couldn't help but wonder where their relationship would be if Siwon hadn't left to go overseas. 

Kyuhyun pursed his lips at the scene and stayed silent. He couldn't be sure, but it's possible that Siwon still had feelings for Sungmin. Or Sungmin still had feelings for Siwon. 

Or both.

Kyuhyun scolds himself as he feels anger flaring up from nowhere. Aish, Cho Kyuhyun! Why do you care?

After what felt like ages to Kyuhyun, the two separated and Siwon waved goodbye to the two as he tooted his horn before driving off. 

"We better get going too, then." Sungmin unlocked the car and got in. Kyuhyun followed suit, but somehow he didn't feel like going back to his apartment alone yet. 

"Hey, Hyukjae..."

"Yeah?" Sungmin turned his head whilst putting his seatbelt on. 

"Uh, nothing." 

Kyuhyun felt like kicking himself for backing out at the last minute. He was used to giving orders to Sungmin, so why not now? 

Sungmin rolled his eyes at the other's strange behaviour and started the ignition. 

"Point out how to get you home."

 

**

 

"Alright, we're here." Kyuhyun gestured at the building his apartment was in and made to get out. He bit his lips, considering how to phrase what he wanted to say next. 

"Uh, Hyukjae-- you can keep the car and drive yourself home."

Sungmin looks up from the steering wheel, surprised. Why was the Cho guy being so nice to him all of a sudden?

"Are... are you sure?" Sungmin offhandedly wonders if the chef put anything weird in Kyuhyun's food. 

"Yeah. I'd be an if I told you to fork out for a taxi. There are no buses at this time, anyway." 

To say Sungmin was surprised was an understatement, albeit pleasantly surprised. He was so used to the snarky side of the younger man that to him, this came out of the blue. 

"Well... thanks."

For the first time, Sungmin hesistantly let out a genuine smile at Kyuhyun. 

Kyuhyun was simply blown away.

Sungmin's smile entranced him.

It seemed to glow in the dark space between them.

Kyuhyun wanted to see it everyday. 

Kyuhyun ducked his head, his cheeks suddenly feeling rather warm. He grappled with the door handle and muttered,

"Just don't crash it with that driving of yours."

"Yah!" 

Kyuhyun let out a light laugh as he walked up the steps to his apartment. He wonders if he'll see the other smile again soon.

 

 

So a very quick update for my lovely readers to thank everyone for the support! (and for Suju's 8th anniversary, although a day late haha)

I literally write this story straight off the bat and directly on AFF, so today has been a good writing day and I finished one whole (short) chapter! :D 

Kyuhyun is certainly warming up to Sungmin now...

Now I know you guys want this whole Sungmin/Hyukjae name switch to be cleared for Kyuhyun but your author here is rather evil >:D There's a time for everything~

This fic is definitely turning out to be longer than I planned

Comments appreciated! I get happy when I see the orange notification box pop up xD