Worst Dance Ever

Worst Dance Ever

 

       "So, uh...I'm Dara," she introduced once they reached the flashy dance floor. She extended her hand out hesitantly before drawing back. "Uh..."

       "Oh, um, I know your name. I'm friends with Seunghyun." Jiyong smiled shyly. Dara smiled back awkwardly and slowly placed her hands on his shoulders.

       "...I can put my hands here, right?" she asked, uncomfortable.

       "Is that what you do when you slow dance? Sorry, I'm new to this. Heh..." Jiyong blushed, rubbing his nape. Dara's jaw dropped.

       "You asked me to...oh never mind." She waved it off, not wanting to be rude. "I guess I'll teach you tonight then." She smiled lightly at his sparkling eyes. She placed her hands back on his shoulders. "Put your hands on my hips."

       Jiyong very slowly put both of his hands on either side of her body, his eyes avoiding any part of her body. Dara flinched when she felt his touch and she backed away.

       "Okay, um, sorry. That was kinda my...," she mumbled, embarrassed. He gasped and quickly bowed down to her.

       "I'm so sorry! I didn't realize"

       "It's fine! It's fine. That happens." She stepped forward and her hands naturally fell onto his lean shoulders again. He carefully placed his hands on her hips, making sure to avoid the back side of her body.

       "Great," Dara said, chuckling at his shy face. "Keep them there," she joked. Jiyong stopped biting his lip and smiled at her. "Now just naturally sway back and forth to the music." Dara began to rhythmically shift her weight side to side, side to side. Jiyong followed, staring at her angelic face. He'd seen her from afar at school, but she was unbelievably more beautiful up close. Mesmerized, his legs began to work on their own.

       "Ow." Dara's interjection woke Jiyong up from his daydreaming, and he blinked at her.

       "Huh?" he questioned, confused.

       "Oh, you just stepped on my foot. Don't worry about it," she reassured. Jiyong inhaled in shock and embarrassment once again.

       "I'm so sorry!" he apologized. Dara just chuckled at his innocence and boyish personality. They swayed back and forth in awkward silence, and Dara couldn't help but notice that her hands felt oddly comfortable on his shoulders. She gradually relaxed and began to look around at the other couples, all dancing together to the soft, relaxing music. Jiyong calmed down too, and he could (kind of) casually look at his dance partner without hyperventilating like an elementary school kid head over heels in love.

       "You're doing really well. Quick learner," Dara commented after a while. Jiyong smiled widely at her praise, his eyes gleaming with happiness. Dara smiled too, feeling a strange sense of satisfaction and pride.

       "Smile more often," he let out softly. Dara looked up at him questionably. "Whoa, where did that come from?" Jiyong said in shock. "Sometimes words come out of my mouth without passing through my brain." Red flooded his face and Dara laughed out loud. It was a truly beautiful sound Jiyong wished he could hear for the rest of his life.

       "Why does your mouth want me to smile more often?" she asked, grinning with a raised brow.

       "You look a lot more beautiful than you already are," he replied, smiling. Suddenly, he gasped again. "You're like an angel already, but smiling just makes you prettier. You're like an angel, but happy angels are prettier than grumpy ones, right? Smiling just makes people prettier. You're already...already really pretty. Gorgeous." Words tumbled out of his mouth faster than they've ever tumbled, until they faded away into silence and Jiyong could only look down at the floor.

       Before Dara could reply, the music stopped and they both instinctively stopped swaying. Dara took her hands off of Jiyong's shoulders and fiddled with her fingers. Jiyong shifted his weight, the music still echoing in his ears.

       "Uh...Jiyong." Dara looked down at her feet, biting her lip. "I'll...your...my...can I...phone number?" she nervously stuttered before choking out the two most important words. Jiyong's face lit up and he grinned excitedly.

       "My phone number?! Sure!" He whipped out his phone and began typing furiously. "You can just tell me your number and I'll text you later tonight." Dara looked up at him and smiled.

       "Okay!" She told Jiyong her number and simultaneously they both looked up at each other. They met each other's sparkling eyes.

       "OKAY I'LL TALK TO YOU LATER BYE!" they yelled to each other in unison.

       And in opposite directions, Sandara Park and Kwon Jiyong darted off the dance floor with tomato-red faces and hearts beating faster than they should be.

 

 

 

 

       "Hey, Dara, I didn't really see you around tonight. Too occupied with Seunghyun I guess. Did you have fun?" Bom asked before ripping off her high heels and falling onto the couch. She waited for Dara's answer while staring at the ceiling, but no reply was heard. She sat back up, peering at her friend, and smiled giddily when she saw Dara's shy smile and pink face.

       "SOMETHING HAPPENED! TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME!!!!" Bom squealed, bolting up off the couch and up to Dara, who was sitting at the dinner table. "Tell meeeeeeeee!!!!!!" She pouted and showed her puppy dog eyes. Dara scoffed before pushing Bom's forehead lightly and turning away.

       "Let's just say you were right." Dara smiled contently. "That was the best dance ever."

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~