One

Young at Heart

YG High School was founded in 1958 by Yang Hyun Suk's father. Now Yang Hyun Suk is the principle of YG High School. YG High has over 2,000 students and over 400 staff members. YG High is one of Korea's best and most prestige high school. YG High is famous for two reasons: 

One: YG High offers each student two different course options that they can take. The first one is the College Preparatory program that prepares you for college. The second is the Advanced Placement Program. That is where if you pass the course with at least an 87 average, you will have all your credits for the first year of college. Another thing that is special about YG High is that you can combine these two programs. Let’s say a student has a talent for literature but is at wits end in math. He or she may take AP English but CP, also called on level, Math. Of course with such a great academic program, the teachers must be fantastic. Most of the teachers were YG High's alumni and they all graduated from distinctive colleges. YG High’s teachers’ ages varied greatly. The older teachers made the most significant number in the faculty count than the younger teachers. There are quite a few young teachers that teach at YG High, but they will be outnumbered compared to the older teachers.

Two: YG High has Korea's number one sports program. The school is equipped with two football field and each had a built in 8- lane track, a soccer field, two other field for boys and girls lacrosse, a 5k cross country course, two swimming pool: one on the roof while the other was an indoor heated swimming pool, 6 tennis courts, a large golf course, two baseball field, one for girls’ softball and the other for boys’ baseball, and finally a stable for horses for horseback riding and polo rugby. What more can be said about that? Their coaches has either played the sports themselves at YG High or coached somewhere else before. 

"Hustle! HUSTLE!" coaches yelled and whistles blew. 

The sun was beating down on the sweaty backs of football players practicing their tackles and cross country runners on the track. Coaches yelled and demanded their players to move faster and work harder. Cross country coaches yelling out the runner's time and tell them to keep moving. It was summer time and only a month left until another school year begins. That means football season is coming for YG High. They have to defend their back to back region champion title and win back their state champion title. The boys’ cross country team also had defend their state champion title while the girls must get rid of their title of state runner up and become the state champion. Softball girls were gearing up for their chance to at least go to state this year, and cheerleaders are preparing for the football season and the competition cheerleaders are practicing for their next cheer competition to defend their state champion title. This marks the beginning of a new school year, another chance at influencing the people of tomorrow, a chance to learn something new everyday.

A young woman around her late twenties came running down the stadium steps as she waved hello to everyone on the field. She was wearing a black Nike shirt that says, ‘KISS MY SASS’ with baby blue and pink Nike running shorts with Nike Air Max sneakers. Her mid length brown highlighted hair was tied up into a pony tail and bounced as she ran down the stadium stairs while holding a water bottle.

“Hey Mrs. Dara!” students started to call out to her as she came closer and closer to the field. Since she was so young, she tells her students that they may call her using her first name so as they add honorific before her name. Most students call her Mrs. Dara, Coach D, or Mrs. GD. 

“Looking good Coach D!” one of the senior cross country boys as he ran past her while she was making her way toward the center of the football field trying not to get run over by the cross country runners since the field is in the middle of the track.

Park Sandara, now Kwon Sandara is YG High’s seniors’ AP English and British Literature teacher and varsity sprinters’ coach for Track and Field. She is currently 26 and married to Kwon Jiyong. She graduated from YG High in 2003 as a Principle’s List student with a GPA of 3.9. She went to Seoul National University on a scholarship for running and majored in British and American Literature. (I know the setting is Korea, but bear with me. I am not Korean, and I have never been to Korea in my entire life if not counting stopping at Seoul’s airport.) Dara graduated in spring of 2007 and got married in summer of 2007. She currently lives with her husband and their dog, Gaho.

“Get back to your running, and leave my wife alone!” Kwon Jiyong yelled at the cross country boys as he hugged his beautiful spouse.

Kwon Jiyong has been married to Park Sandara for a good five years now. He is YG High's AP Physics and CP, also known as on level, physic teacher. He also coaches football during the fall. He is 27 years old and graduated from YG in 2003, the same as Dara. He was also a Principle's List student with a GPA of 4.0 and attended Seoul National University with Dara with no scholarship because his family was well off. They both graduated in 2007, and he proposed to her in front of everyone then. He majored in physics and quantum mechanics. Now he is happily married living with his young wife and dog.

"What are you doing here?" Jiyong asked his wife as he thankfully grabbed the water bottle from her. 

"I was around the area, and I thought I would drop by," Dara replied as she used moist towelettes to wipe his sweat. 

"Awwwww!" everyone who witnessed their lovey-dovey act teased. 

"Ah, young love," Baek Seung Joo exclaimed. He is the Algebra II Trig teacher and probably the oldest and most experience teacher of all because of his age. He is 68 this year, and his wife is Baek Ha Ni is 67. They have been teaching at YG High for almost 35 years now. Everyone find them adorable because they are so old and Mrs. Baek is so bubbly and happy while her husband is always so grumpy and sarcastic. However, all their students love them because they are great teachers. In fact, he and Ha Ni taught both Dara and Jiyong when they were in high school. 

"Mr. Baek," Jiyong and Dara exclaimed as they pulled away from each other. It was a force of habit, when they were still in high school, they would always get busted for too much PDA by Seung Jo who would give them a detention while his wife would always laugh at them, but wouldn’t help them take the detention away.

Mr. Baek laughed as he patted Jiyong on the back. "You're not in high school anymore. I am not going to write you up a detention for hugging your wife."

Dara smiled and gave Mr. Baek a hug. He was always her favorite math teacher throughout her high school career. "Where is Mrs. Baek?" 

Mr. Baek Seung Jo grunted gruffly and replied, "You know I can never get her out of bed for exercise in the mornings." 

The young couple laughed as they remembered the old days how whoever has Mrs. Baek Ha Ni first period class wouldn't start class until 5 minutes after the late bell. Mrs. Baek would come stumbling in and cursing her husband under her breath for leaving her behind on the mornings that she ran late.

"She's a gem though," Principle Hyun Suk said as he joined the circle. Everyone loves Principle Yang because he never sweated the small things, and he was a wonderful principle because he cares for each and every student. He can't say that he knows every student by their names but he sure do by their faces. Plus, it makes it easier to love him since he isn't the one who gives out punishment to the students. That was the Dean of Students', Dean of Academics', and sometimes the Attendance ward's job. 

Speaking of the devil, here comes Mr. Teddy. He was the Dean of Student. It's like he is the director of the PR section of the school. He makes sure the image of the school isn't tarnish by any unorthodox actions of the student population. He also deals with students' affairs. "How's the football team doing?" he asked as he patted Jiyong on the back. 

"Never been better!" Jiyong answered and grin. “This year is going to be a year that football will dominate for sure.”

Dara smiled at how Jiyong beam in happiness and proudness of how his football team is progressing. "Well, I'll get going," Dara said as she pulled away from Jiyong's and smiled. 

Jiyong frowned a little, "Why don't you stay a little longer, and we'll go home together." 

"Nah, I am going to run to the grocery. We're running out of Powerade," Dara replied. 

Principle Hyun Suk whacked Jiyong on the head with his newspaper. "You're making your wife run to the grocery and carry a whole case of Powerade by herself?!" 

"Ow!" Jiyong whined as he rubbed his head while everyone laughed. "I was going to let her use the car!" he defended himself.                                 

Dara laughed and rubbed her husband's head, "I was going to take the car anyway. I'll come pick you up after you're done with practice okay?"

"See! She was going to take my baby away anyway! Why did I have to get hit?!" 

Once again, Jiyong got hit on the head but this time by Mrs. Baek Ha Ni from behind as she came to join the crowd, "Mr. Kwon, if you call your car your baby then what do you call your child when Dara give you one?" Magically, Mr. Baek was right next to his wife. Although they weren't showing any display of affection, everyone could very well tell how close and together the older couple were.

"I would gladly replace my car for a baby, but we are still young. We want to enjoy married life first," Jiyong said happily and winked at his blushing wife. Everyone chuckled at the young love in front of them. 

"Okay! Well, I am heading out; keys please," she said as she stuck her palm out and took the keys from him. "Well, bye everyone!" Dara waved happily as she started up the stadium to the parking lot. 

"Drive carefully!" Jiyong yelled after her. 

The older men and Mrs. Ha Ni smiled at how much Jiyong cares for his wife. Almost everyone in YG High at the time, who knew Dara and Jiyong when they were in high school, knew that they were going to end up getting married. "It's good to see you care for your wife," Dean of Student Teddy said. 

"Unlike a certain teacher here," Jiyong added as he glanced at Mr. Baek earning a laugh from Mrs. Baek.

"Just because I can’t give you a detention anymore, does not mean I can’t give you a hard time. I can always give you detention duty," Mr. Baek said sternly.

Everyone laughed. "Alright, old man, we got to go. The grandchildren are coming soon," So Min said happily while the old grandpa grunted and mumbled to himself as they left. 

"Awww! Old love!" Jiyong said and mocked the older man. "Okie dokie, I am going to get back to coaching," he said and turn around to find all his senior and junior football players on the ground being lazy. "HEY GET YOUR ASSES UP AND MOVE IT!" Jiyong screamed sending all the football players scrambling up. YG High tolerates some uses of curse words, come on, it's high school. Today was Jiyong's turn to coach the freshmen and sophomore to tackle correctly with the help of juniors and seniors and at the same time give them a work out. 

"Oh, you boys are going to have fun with Coach today!" Principle Hyun Suk said while laughing with Mr. Teddy while walking away. They heard Jiyong's distant voice said something which earned a dreadful groan from the boys and a laugh from them. 

Welcome back to the world of high school life… teacher’s edition.