[1]

Made For Love

A/N: I decided not to change the title because I think it so defines Jongin and Taem's relationship in this fic.


 

It has been 6 months, Jongin thought, as Taemin’s scent filled his entire system when they hugged. 6 months, 2 weeks and 2 days to be precise; but who’s counting, right.

Normally, no secret is left unsaid between the two. Makes sense actually, since they’ve been best friends practically since before they were even born. Their mothers’ bond is that of blood sisters. So what’s different now?

It’s because it’s a secret that would redefine their friendship. “Hey Tae… I love you more than a best friend should.” No. That’s not something you spit out after a lifetime of friendship. Especially if he has a boyfriend.

 

“Taeminaahhh...” Jongin whispered in Taemin’s ear, his voice lower than usual.

Taemin was standing just outside their building when Jongin snuck behind him, creepy voice and all. In his surprise, he jerked and dropped his phone. Thanks to his best friend’s quick reflexes, Jongin had caught his phone before it hit the pavement.

“Don’t scare me like that.” Taemin whined and lightly shoved the other. He was only returned with a hearty chuckle.

“What did you wanna meet for anyway? You wanna get ice cream cake again, don’t you?” Jongin asked accusingly. “I’m telling you, Key hyung is gonna get bankrupt at the frequency of your “friendly visits” there.” He made air quotes to stress his point.

“I’m paying this time, I swear. Just... I want you to meet someone!” Taemin replied as he persistently Jongin.

Fifteen minutes and half their slice portions later, Jongin’s animated conversation with Taemin got cut off when Taemin stood up and waved a tall guy down to their table. It took one look at the stranger and something in him stirred.

Jongin felt uneasy even after his best friend had introduced the stranger, Minho, as a friend of Key’s. It’s not like he wasn’t friends with Key. Taemin has always been closer to him though so he didn’t see why he had to be there when Tae met with his new acquaintance.

“Jonginnie, don’t stare at him like he’s an alien.” Taemin whispered and successfully nudged the tan boy out of his reverie. He didn’t even realize he’s been staring that whole while.

All is forgotten after a mumbled apology and Taemin’s chirpy “its okay”.

“So what I was trying to say was...” Taemin said. He took a deep breath and Jongin’s heart raced at the sight in front of him. Doe-eyed Minho had grabbed hold of his best friend’s hand, over the table, and laced their fingers. “Jonginnie... I want you to be the first to know that Minho hyung is my boyfriend.”

Jongin opened and closed his mouth but no sound came out. Never had he thought Taemin swung that way. Not that it mattered because he loved him unconditionally. He just never realized it up until this point. He couldn’t ignore the feeling that his heart had fallen off the rooftop of a 20-storey building upon hearing what he'd just heard.

 

Ever since that fated day, Jongin had been beating himself up. He felt like an idiot. It had to take him seeing Taemin hand in hand with someone that wasn’t him, slight blush to the slightly shorter guy’s cheeks when Minho kissed him before bidding them goodbye, to realize that he was in love with his best friend. He’d never regretted anything more.

He’s kept his feelings since then and it couldn’t have been any more difficult. He had to constantly listen to Taemin’s stories about how wonderful Minho was, had to cover for Taemin whenever he went out with Minho, had to watch along the sideline as someone else made Taemin laugh, blush and swoon the way he was supposed to.

That was a while then...

It has been a week since Jongin last hung out with Taemin; which was ridiculous because they lived in the same building. But now, seeing Taemin with a gloomy look on his face, he couldn’t help but think that something was up.