Chapter 3

Your Song

 

"There are no two people who are exactly the same. But no matter how different they can be, love can always find the perfect way to synchronize their heartbeats. "

- FrenchSha

 

 

“Ahmmm… excuse me. May I know if…”

 

“You’re Wallace Huo! The famous Taipei Wizard hero!” Mang Carding, the old security guard in his mid-40s shouted on the top of his lungs.

 

“Can I have your autograph? I am your biggest fan!” he excitedly added as he looked for pen in his pockets and offered it to Wallace.

 

“Ahmmm…” He waited for Mang Carding to give him somewhere to write on.

 

“Where should I sign?” he asked.

 

“Ahmmm… Uh-huh! I got it! Wait!” he ed his uniform and opened it widely.

 

“Here. Because you are always here in my heart.” He referred to his bare chest.

 

“Mang Carding? What happened? We heard a scream. Is everything all right?” A very beautiful and graceful woman in her 30’s came out the door when it flung open.

 

“Oh! Hello, Sir. How may I help you?” she elegantly turned to Wallace and asked.

 

“I’m Wallace, Wallace Huo and I’m…”

 

“He is the famous basketball player who won the basketball championship game for Taiwan. Now they are heading for the North American Chinese Basketball Association membership. No one can enter this league unless…” He informed in one breath.

 

“Ahmmm. Mang Carding, I know you’re a basketball fanatic but I don’t think that’s the reason why he paid us a visit, right young man?” The lady interrupted.

 

“Just call me Wallace.” He smiled sheepishly.

 

“I am Mrs. Josephine Lin and our family manages and owns this studio. We offer Classical, Neoclassical and Contemporary Ballet. We only give our students 101 percent of what they deserve.”

 

“Wow Mrs. Lin, you really do know how to sales talk. Do you teach ballet?”

 

“Oh no, no, no, no. My daughter does, not me. My arthritis might strike when I do that.” And they all laughed at Mrs. Lin’s attempt of a joke.

 

“If you want to apply your sister just inquire inside. I would love to guide you to your way but I really have to do something else. My daughter will be the one to accommodate you inside.”

 

“Is she as good as you, Ma’am?”

 

This question brought the woman into a second of thinking and teasing.

 

“Why don’t you just find out yourself?” With her tone, she is on to something.

 

Maybe the frustrating fact that her daughter, in spite the gift of elegant curves and serene beauty, is still single. Why, Buddha must have heard her prayers and sent this total hottie to relieve her from her distress. But she isn’t the type of annoying moms who thinks they’re cupid.

 

“I have to go. See you around Wallace and good luck for the game.” She walked towards her car parked right in front of their three-storey studio.

 

Mang Carding opened the door widely for them. Wallace went in with Maddy strolling behind him. Appeared before them was a wooden stairs leading to the second and third floor. He looked up trying to familiarize himself with the place while happiness, excitement and amazement painted a big smile on the little child’s face.

 

“Second door to the left.” Mang Carding instructed and shut the door close.

 

“And I hope this woman is worth the waste of my time.” Then they started walking, ascending themselves upstairs.

 

“Now up, twist, curtsey and bow.” Echoes against the four walls of the building as the two arrive to where they were sure as the second floor of the studio.

 

They followed where the voice was coming from and found a double wooden door with gold accents.. He took a deep breath and held the doorknob. He looked at Maddy who was smiling so sweetly beside him. He twisted the doorknob and pushed the door open.

 

Everybody in the room was thrilled. As the door open widely, a young good-looking man appeared before their very eyes and to top it all, it was Wallace – the Taipei Wizards hero.

 

Penny, who was staring at her reflection at the big mirror while doing her bow, turned to the door after hearing a long and heart-melting ‘Oh’.

 

While every single married woman drooled over him, Wallace felt awkwardly shy. He smiled only to show respect to them while they pinch his cheeks and spoke their words of adoration.

 

Maddy had a great joy seeing this while Penny, as she fixed her eyes to this man, she was neither surprised nor dazzled. To be more appropriate she was confused. ‘And who is this man who dares to disturb my class?’

 

She walked towards the crowding mothers around the unfamiliar boy and asked.

 

“Excuse me. But, may I know who you are and what are you here for?” She sounded rude but formal.

 

Hearing this woman ask him who he is, it hurt Wallace’s ego. She moved closer to her while the ladies gather aside.

 

“You are asking me who am I?” She doesn’t know why but Wallace’s tone shows a boastful, big-headed young man. So she answered him in same way “Unless you are deaf then you haven’t heard my question. Who are you and what are you doing here?”

 

The spectators were surprised. ‘Is it true that Penny doesn’t know Wallace? Wallace Huo’? Even her students were stunned, but not Maddy. She was rather happy and she has something in her mind.

 

“Don’t you watch television?” Then he paused.

 

“From this day forward, the Taipei Wizards will always be on top.” Doing the gesture he is famous of, pointing up and blinking.

 

Screams and awes from the ladies boosted Wallace’s esteem. Thinking he won the battle that is only inside his head, he looked at Penny as if he was saying ‘so now do you know’ but her innocent shaking of head crashed Wallace’s confidence.

 

“Do I need to know who you are?” It turned out rhetorical since Wallace never had the urge to answer it.

 

He felt embarrassed. He had never been embarrassed especially in front of his undying fans so obviously he was very mad, as in grinding-teeth mad. Tension rises up inside the room as the two throw daggers look against each other while they step closer and closer to each other.

 

Maddy came in between them and told Penny the real purpose they were there.

 

“I wanted to enroll in your ballet class. Would that be possible?” She respectfully asked.

 

Penny is fond of kids. That’s why she chose to teach children ballet than teach in a private school for girls when she was offered few years ago. So she nodded and reached for the registration paper. She handed it to Wallace and, wait, did I say handed? I mean she throw the registration paper to him and ordered him to fill it up. ‘Is this how she entertains costumers? She should thank nature was nice and made her beautiful, or else…’

 

I don't care who you are 
Where you're from 
What you did 
As long as you love me 

Could you feel the tense? Looks like our lovers started out on the wrong foot.

What will happen next?

Find out!