glory

mingled remembrances [an exo drabble collection]

glory. [Baekyeol]

 

Baekhyun doesn’t exactly understand the meaning of this.

 

As he sat on his bed flipping through the yellow, coffee-stained pages of his text-books, he gets the feeling as if something’s missing. A part of him is missing.

Baekhyun lifts the thick book and gazes at it with a questionable expression because there are so many words written all over it. On every page, he sees words etched all over in black ink, some of them vague from the smudges, some of them clear. He tilts his head, shifts the book over eye-level and winces at it from below.

On one page is a bunch of formulas- alphabets, numbers, values, calculations- that he simply couldn’t comprehend. On the other were words, plain words in cursive writing- it says something about conspiracies, bombings, assaults, missiles, and whatnot- but nonetheless, it doesn’t make sense to him. After those, were pages and pages full of dates- numbers, months, years, days- filled from the top to bottom, with negligible amount of space being left in between.

There are dates from twenty years ago, from two years ago, and from months ago. And then there’s 17/8/1992.

Today.

He sighs, closes the book, and places it aside, laying down beside Chanyeol, who had been sitting next to him all this while, observing his actions.

“Chanyeol-ah, sometimes I feel so useless.”

Chanyeol moves closer to him and places his hands gently on his head, caressing his soft, black hair. “Why?”

“Because sometimes I don’t even remember anything, I don’t remember what I wrote, I don’t remember what I learned when I was younger- I don’t even remember who I was.” Baekhyun’s faint murmurs gradually become inaudible as he shuts his eyelids, trying not to cry because he’s dying to recall the person he used to be.

 “It’s okay, everything will be okay.” Chanyeol continues running his hands through Baekhyun’s hair as he slowly slipped his fingers into his.

And instantly, warmth spreads through Baekhyun and he really feels it would be okay, and that everything would return with simply a little more time, and faith, and Chanyeol.

Even if he doesn’t completely understand why today’s date was written in the book.