a tree will never grow where it doesn't belong

mingled remembrances [an exo drabble collection]

a tree will never grow where it doesn't belong. [Jongin]

 

He had despised clocks ever since he was a child.

He remembers the first time someone tried giving him a clock- the moment it reached his grasp, it was deemed destroyed.

Thinking it was a moment of bewilderment and mischievousness, his parents thought nothing of it; and came up with an idea that they were indeed, very impressed with for Jongin’s birthday.

On Jongin’s twelfth birthday, he receives his first watch, a delicate, rounded watch framed with silver metal, the straps cold as his parents slips them onto his wrists.

He stares at the watch suspiciously and observes the tick-tock pattern it exhibited. Something in him rises as he continues glaring at the unwanted and alienated object that was seemingly against his skin, enclosing his wrists in a circular manner.

He hates how he’s having physical contact with that thing.

It takes him only one second to wrench at the metallic straps of the watch before he no longer feels it on him; before it glides across the air and lands on the polished floor with a loud clatter, sending millions of precise glass pieces everywhere, shattering the once perfect and impeccable timepiece.

Jongin remembers his hatred for watches and clocks.

The hatred burns like an overwhelming, blistering flame that instantly scars with physical contact. It had burned, has burned, and will continue to burn.

After all, every flame burns for a reason.